Rad shell crank cover finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rad shell crank cover finish

I was looking at my radiator shell crank cover and find it has a 'textured' finish. That is it does not have a smooth polished surface. I check a couple of others and they are the same. I believe they were likely not very polished, probably just stamped out and riveted in place.

Can anyone shed some light on them?

Thanks.

Mine was originally nickel plated, but is mostly rust now.

Comment

Mine is 31 so it is stainless. I guess I should have added that, but I have never had any 28-29 stuff.

Comment

Polished stainless in 30-31 Nickel in 28-29

Comment

I never saw one with the textured finish that you mention
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mark Maron
            Mark Maron commented
            Editing a comment
            I think that texture is finish bubble or rust...LOL

Related Topics

Collapse

• wrndln
          Pickup /AA truck radiator shell question
          by wrndln
          I am restoring a 29 CCPU and have a question I believe I know the answer to, but need confirmation. As most people know, commercial radiator shells were paint gloss black for 28 and 29 commercial vehicles. I had passenger car shell that was rust pitted under the nickel plating was curling up over the years. Otherwise the shell was in very good shape. Anyway, I sandblasted the shell and applied...
          01-07-2020, 10:48 AM
        • Great Lakes Greg
          Commercial steel shell - 1931
          by Great Lakes Greg
          I have a 31 steel shell I am getting ready for paint. The crank hole cover is not magnetic, presumably because it is stainless. Is this also painted, or left shiny?
          05-05-2019, 04:10 PM
        • Great Lakes Greg
          '28-'29 truck rad shell
          by Great Lakes Greg
          I am restoring a chassis for a friend, and he has a chrome radiator shell. We are doing this truck "by the book", so the shell will be black. His shell is actually pretty nice, so I was thinking of finding another one with some peeling chrome or other issues, sandblasting it (wet blast, so it doesn't warp) and painting it. Does this sound feasible?...
          09-19-2020, 08:11 AM
        • sunnyorm
          Original radiator shell
          by sunnyorm
          Well, I finely got my original radiator shell, after going thru several methods, which all proved to be unsuccessful.
          Now the background: first I bought a radiator ('28/29), which turned out to be some aftermarket from a few years back, and turned out to be 5/8" too tall, which, also, would not fit with repro commercial shell, so next, i was able to purchase an original radiator, which...
          07-11-2018, 08:31 PM
        • Keith True
          Early 28 shell??
          by Keith True
          I have a nice shell that was stashed away for years,it was not used on one of my pickups because it looks to be plateable.I didn't want to paint a shell that somebody might be better off restoring.I really don't think I'm going to be doing any more 28-29's,so I'm weeding out the stuff.This has a brass crank hole cover,with a finger hanging down,seems I remember that was early 28,but not quite sure.My...
          02-07-2019, 11:36 AM
        • Bob C
          1930 Radiator Shell Crank Hole Shape
          by Bob C
          Is either of these holes the correct shape?
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          04-15-2020, 12:54 PM
        • sunnyorm
          Radiator shell hole off center
          by sunnyorm
          I have a '28/29 radiator, when I install after market shell, which fits radiator mounts, but when inserting engine hand crank, it's off center, and will not engage with engine crank. to turn over.
          04-06-2018, 10:41 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Counterweighted and Turned B crank with Inserts
          by Tom Wesenberg
          This could be a good deal for someone building an engine with a modification for a stronger and counterweighted crank.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-...t/143028991573
          11-29-2018, 07:21 PM
        • wrndln
          Installing a radiator shell emblem
          by wrndln
          I will need to install a restored original Ford script emblem on an early original 1929 radiator shell that has been re-nickel plated in the near future. I tried to search for an existing post about installing an emblem and found none. Anyway, I am thinking about using a C clamp and a fabric covered piece of wood laid on the emblems face and slowly tighten the C clamp to force the emblem into the...
          12-29-2019, 11:08 PM
        • MikeK
          28-29 Radiator Shells
          by MikeK
          Could someone put a date to three features in these two shells? I'm aware of the JS dates for the 28-29 crank hole boss shape and lamp conduit hole size changes but can find no specific year/month for two features shown in picture one- the height difference in the filler neck, and the widows-peak or lack thereof in front of the filler. Pictures 2 & 3 show the third difference in question- the...
          10-09-2019, 06:27 PM
        Working...
        X