Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were the door latches painted body color?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Were the door latches painted body color?

My 1931 truck doors are due for some attention. I have to slam them shut. There are also some rattles.
    I received some new door hardware in my recent Brattons order.
    The door latch on the door, and the plate around it... were they body color? I’ve seen them left the metal silver color they come as, I’ve seen them painted black, and most commonly I’ve seen them painted body color. How were they from the factory?

Thanks,
    ​​​​​​​Curly

Most photos in De Angeles book, the Ford Model A ,show body color except some station wagon bodies or commercial vehicles. Had a similar rattle issue, though due to misalignment of doors to body and hinge pins.

Comment

What color were the commercial vehicle plyfor?

Comment

• pAAt
        pAAt commented
        Editing a comment
        Great question ! I'm also waiting for this response.

"Door latches were installed before the body was painted,
      so they would be the body color (including screws). The
      nickel plated door dovetails and fasteners were installed
      before or after painting and therefore could have been
      plated or painted body color."

Comment

Thanks Mike.

Comment

Vermins' NEW latches from Brattons, were TOO PRETTY to paint!
          Dad

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• donh
            Painting the doors on a four door 170B Delux
            by donh
            I'm in the process of painting my A Black and Maroon. When the doors are painted on the outside does the color scheme wrap around to the door jamb? Or is the jamb painted one color
            07-19-2018, 03:25 PM
          • Dan Harmon
            Door Skin vs Body Work
            by Dan Harmon
            Hello Guys!

During the body inspection I found these dents in the left door of my 31 pickup. I'm not a body guy but I'm going to try and do some of the work if I can. I have a custom painter willing to paint this if most the work is done before he gets it. Curious...should I replace the skin on this door or try to pull these out and then add body putty? These dents are right on...
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.
            03-17-2021, 06:20 PM
          • Pklarkin
            Bent Hinge or Body Shimming?
            by Pklarkin
            Hi all,

The restoration of my 1929 Business Coupe continues...

I put the newly painted/restored drivers side door on today. The hinge pins all seem to fit pretty well, but the hinge side of the door binds about 6 inches from closing. The bottom binds first, but if I take out the bottom hinge pin, the door binds in other places a little closer to closing.

I've...
            02-14-2021, 01:56 PM
          • copgib
            Question on door closing on Model A
            by copgib
            My vehicle doors do not close like they should, I have to slam the doors shut. It is a 1930 Model A Coupe and I haven't touch the doors yet. I was wondering if it could just be the latches or do you think the doors need to be realined. Then the next question would be, do I have a body shop fix the problem or is it something me and my mechanic could tackle. Thanks Hugh
            12-24-2018, 10:20 PM
          • WayneT
            Door Question
            by WayneT
            I have 4 Briggs Body 4 Door Sedan doors that I have had for 25 years and am selling them. I was asked a question that I do not know and am seeking advice from someone that has the answer.
            QUESTION: Will these 4 Briggs Body doors fit any 1928 to 1931 Briggs Body 4 door sedan or Town Sedan??
            Thank for your help.
            Wayne
            10-09-2020, 09:26 AM
          • Terry, NJ
            Any body got a solution? (Body work)
            by Terry, NJ
            "Give a man a good fitup and you get a nice weld!" Words I live by! So what was I thinking when I was fitting this patch panel? Actually the fit up was good. It was the location that wasn't correct. It hangs down below the bottom about 1/4 of an inch under the door. I've got it all-round and Bondoed in. The job came out nice too. However, the only "real" way I know how to fix it...
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            05-15-2019, 03:08 PM
          • Hawaii Pro 31
            31 Ford Door no second click when closing
            by Hawaii Pro 31
            I’ve changed the striker, door latch too but it will not click two times as it closes. I, clearanced the outside of the door frame so there is space around the door and adjusted the striker a few times too. You push the door in, click but it will not click again to close the door. Is the door still contacting the body or is the striker the culprit,,,Thank you...
            01-16-2019, 04:36 PM
          • John T
            The trouble with doors
            by John T
            Hello everyone, I've run into a problem on my 35 Ford 5 window coupe.
            I had to install new rockers, floor pans front and rear etc. So I welded braces to keep the body square and from shifting...so I thought. driver side went fine upon re-installing the door. NOT SO with the right side! rear of door hangs way down below rocker. I believe my problem is the front post shifted (bottom of post was...
            04-04-2021, 01:24 PM
          • JohnB15632
            Upper Door Seal Installation
            by JohnB15632
            Can anybody out there tell me how the upper door seals are installed? Are the installed on the door or on the body?

Thanks,...
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            06-28-2019, 01:54 PM
          • albjerryg
            Door aligment
            by albjerryg
            Having trouble aligning passenger door so it will close properly. I tried flowing the manual but it gone from bad to worse. I had an idea of losing the screws on the hinge door side then closing the door with the screws loose so the door will fit correctly. I gotten that far and door fit good now I need to get in the car with the door close and tighten the hinge screws. Does that sound crazy??????...
            06-28-2019, 04:42 PM
          Working...
          X