• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shift tower springs

Ok, what's up with this?

20170905_213757.jpg
    Easy answer. take a look at my page on the fine point /instruction manuals
    Last edited by Jim Mason; 09-05-2017, 10:39 PM.
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Helpful if the picture shows. Grin

Comment

I took 2 different top covers apart recently. I remember one spring was slightly longer than the other, but I don't know the history of them. The difference wasn't near as much as yours Jim. One was front mounted park brake and the other was side mount lever. I'm guessing the 28 is the shorty and 31 is longer?

Comment

Yup. The left hand brake tower is internally taller, and has a metal cup with felt washer above the spring

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Bill G
          Shift tower spring
          by Bill G
          Well, here's a new approach to holding the tower when replacing the spring. Believe it or not, I don't have a vise. What I do have is an old office credenza that I use to put stuff on out in the garage. I have had it for years and years. It's all broken down here and there, so I had no reservations for modifying it just a bit. I drilled a good-sized hole in the top and a smaller one in the bottom...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 6 photos.
          01-19-2019, 10:59 PM
        • CM2
          Brake return springs
          by CM2
          Got a good set of each,the '31 spring type and the earlier flat type...which one is better?
          02-18-2018, 08:58 PM
        • Steve Plucker
          Gear shift housing "innards"...
          by Steve Plucker
          I have two A-7222-B Gear shift housings, these are the housings that position the Hand brake lever in front of the Gear shift lever, that are the same on the outside but are different on the insides.

In looking at the area of #1, just under where the ball of the Gear shift lever assembly sits, is a dished out area where the A-7227 Gear shift lever spring mates up to.

However...
          03-29-2019, 06:06 AM
        • Mike Morton
          Anti Rattle Spring returns
          by Mike Morton
          Can someone tell me which direction the anti rattle return springs go on a 1930 model A,someone told mine where on backwards?...
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          04-18-2018, 10:13 PM
        • Mickey
          What is this?
          by Mickey
          As you can see at the top it is attached to a bracket on the frame just aft of the motor mount and affixed at it's bottom to the right side forward brake rod. The one on the left side is missing. I've looked at all the major parts houses and no one shows such a repro part. I assume it's some kind of a brake return spring.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          02-06-2019, 08:36 PM
        • d.j. moordigian
          Spring..
          by d.j. moordigian
          Well,..I thought I knew what it was for..BUT..
          It has to many turns for the e-28 clutch return spring..
          It has the wrong ends for the left hand brake spring..
          Is it a AA truck clutch return spring?

Thanks,
          Dudley
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          10-02-2017, 02:27 PM
        • dmdeaton
          Installing Rear Leaf Spring
          by dmdeaton
          I got my differential shoved up in place today. Is there a torque spec on the Ubolt nuts? Seems like I can favor the spring to one side or the other by the tightness. I am glad to get this hung....
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          04-21-2018, 08:15 PM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Pay Attention to Details
          by Tom Wesenberg
          This is what happens when you don't pay attention to details. Someone used a thin E clip, rather than the correct thicker U clip to secure the parking brake lever to the brake shoe. They also left out the wavy washer between the two parts, and this left the parking brake lever loose enough so the cable spring pushed it outward, where it rode against the brake drum. One wear spot is where the cable...
          05-14-2018, 06:52 PM
        • Big guy
          Tranny pops out of second
          by Big guy
          Good morning all, I've been spending a lot of time reading forums and trying to gain basic info. I have the confidence to tackle about anything on my 29 Tudor but don't want interrupt summer driving weather. So I need to ask, if my tranny pops out of second gear while driving, am I doing any additional damage to the trans by postponing repairs? Any thoughts on the cause of this? I just purchased the...
          06-04-2018, 10:45 AM
        • Steve Plucker
          2nd Generation Gear shift housing...
          by Steve Plucker
          Not sure if this was even produced at the Ford Motor Company, but this has to do with the 2nd generation Gear Shift Housing. This is the housing where the Emergency hand brake handle is placed in front of the gear shift.

On the side where the Emergency hand brake lever arm enters the housing, on MOST of these housings, you will see a rounded shaped raised "rib" that is shaped...
          04-17-2019, 08:46 PM
        Working...
        X