20170830_142134.jpg g
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

One looks shorter than the other and the ball ends look different
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Same length. check the grease seal flanges, taper on the shafts. when were they used? How many other variations are there? What were the times frames of use?
      Gotta love fine point!

Comment

I do believe the one on the right is an E28 with the smaller grease seal and i think that is the second generation arm, Dec 27-Jan 28 with a 1/8 seal flange

Comment

Close. The one on the right is the 3rd style, note the 15/16th sector shafts hole. it was used February 28 thru May 28.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mason View Post
            Close. The one on the right is the 3rd style, note the 15/16th sector shafts hole. it was used February 28 thru May 28.
            YEs but a little hard to see in the photo hence i replied on the second version.. which is actually 3/4 sector shaft hole size...thanks Jim

Comment

Now we nailed down the one one the right...how about the other one?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mason View Post
                Now we nailed down the one one the right...how about the other one?
                Hard to see detail also but I think the 5th style, July 29 to end.

Comment

I had to go look at mine to get a clear cut way to tell for sure. The one on the left is the 4th style without a doubt. Rod
                  Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

So anybody else want to play? One vote for 4th, one vote for 5th style. what do you think, and why?

Comment

It's the 5th style because it has the 13/32 grease seal flange and the elliptical tapered arm.......
                      3 ~ Tudor's
                      Henry Ford said
                      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I am looking at the transition angle on the back side of the flange. The 5th style was a thicker arm and had a steeper angle on the back side of the flange. Pic's later,,,, hopefully. Rod
                        Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• plyfor
                          Another front crank shaft seal
                          by plyfor
                          Found this photo on the net of a modern type seal. Just found out it is a modern seal with an alum. outer jacket sold by Specialty Motor Cam ( replacement shocks, etc.)....
                          11-18-2017, 03:00 PM
                        • Ayyy
                          Installing Rear Wheel Hub Seals. Dont Let Me Be Stupid.
                          by Ayyy
                          I'm installing rear wheel hub seals right now and I have a question. I searched the Chassis and Powertrain tech areas, but no luck. Maybe I'm too stupid to do an efficient search??

How deep do the seals sit?
                          Seams simple enough... most cars have a ridge to seat the seal against, but not in this case. This makes for no hard stop for the seal and I'm concerned that I'll install the...
                          05-23-2018, 06:49 PM
                        • JtownJoe
                          front seal direction?
                          by JtownJoe
                          Hi, I have the new modern seal and there is an inner ring that appears to be directional, does the beveled side inner seal fin point toward the radiator or toward the crank case?
                          10-24-2017, 07:18 PM
                        • john in illinois
                          Rope seal advice
                          by john in illinois
                          How close should I trim a front rope seal? I usually use one piece seals.

John
                          01-16-2018, 05:18 PM
                        • George Miller
                          One pice rear main seal.
                          by George Miller
                          Has any one had good luck with the one pice rear main seal ? Like 100% success.
                          01-20-2018, 09:56 AM
                        • CarlG
                          Rear hub seal
                          by CarlG
                          Anyone have the commercial part number for the Rear Hub Seal?...
                          01-27-2018, 06:53 PM
                        • 2manycars
                          Rear hub grease seals
                          by 2manycars
                          How far in do the rear hub grease seals go on a 1940 ford rear axel?
                          10-30-2018, 11:26 AM
                        • Tom Wesenberg
                          Grease.......We Don't Need No Stinkin' Grease!
                          by Tom Wesenberg
                          It just takes all the fun out of changing parts.

Here's a link to some grease information.

http://twoils.co.uk/greases-explained.html...
                          07-08-2017, 11:10 PM
                        • plyfor
                          Front pulley seal, new motor
                          by plyfor
                          We used the new teflon type rope seals on a new motor with about 100 miles on it. Nice drip which runs down the oil pan front and no leaks elsewhere. It was put in according to all posted info. and greased very slightly. The leak is blackish oil. Is this normal with this type of seal. We ran out of the old style rope and the 2 piece pulley looks ok. Any suggestions ?...
                          10-23-2017, 11:23 AM
                        • Tom Wesenberg
                          Using The Shorter Pitman Arm
                          by Tom Wesenberg
                          Several weeks ago I mentioned that I'd buy a shorter pitman arm with my next parts order. I want to try it just to get my thoughts about how much easier it might steer, but it also gives the added benefit of putting less pressure on the gas tank bracket while turning the steering wheel.

A few weeks ago my short pitman arm came from Bert's, and it's a quality forged piece of craftsmanship...
                          04-03-2018, 08:06 AM
                        Working...
                        X