Paint schemes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint schemes...

In Section 1 (Engine Compartment) and Section 4 (Undercarriage) of the Standards, the paint schemes per part are spelled out.
    Now we go to Area 7 (Brake System) and very little is told about the individual brake parts being a specific "black" color.
    Can you please tell me what parts are:
    1. Satin Black
    2. Semi-gloss Black
    3. Gloss Black
    I just can not understand why Ford had so many different "black" schemes.
    Thank you.
    Pluck

Pluck,

Thank you for all your previous technical articles.

The three different 'shades' of black come from the era materials used then and how they where applied, difficult to re-create today with 'modern' materials in our garages.

I prefer hard evidence such as factory photos and parts books. Study closely the chassis photo in the 3rd Edition Paint & Finish Guide found on page 15 (plus partials on p.16 & 17).

JB

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Chevmn56
      judging Standards Paint Codes
      by Chevmn56
      Hello all !!! i am real close to putting various engine parts back on Clyde. What started as a tune up 2 months ago, has now grown. I think i have the bug also. But in reading the Judging Standards book it makes referance to 2 paimt codes B- Black and R-Raven, now on doing some research on the internet i think R-Raven would be gloss black?????, so what is B-Black????? satin????
      01-16-2018, 07:48 PM
    • Jwmckenzie
      Carburetor paint - Semi gloss black.
      by Jwmckenzie
      Looking for real life experience painting carbs with semi-gloss black.

Snyder's sells a Seymore Hi-Tech Lacquer for this purpose, but the data sheet says it is not resistant to gas.

Search on this interweb thingie, suggests I need an epoxy or urethane.
      02-29-2020, 06:22 AM
    • Ted Duke
      What color BLACK for fenders?
      by Ted Duke
      What is closest to correct for BLACK fenders? I can't find a reference anywhere.
      05-06-2019, 10:25 AM
    • carolinamudwalker
      Black paint
      by carolinamudwalker
      I need to paint the panels just above the running boards. The fenders have been painted with a base coat/clear coat. My problem is I don't want to buy a gallon of paint. I think it was Tom W. that recommended a very black paint from one of the auto parts stores but I could not find that thread. I prefer a paint with a hardener for spraying. Any suggestions?
      02-17-2019, 12:22 PM
    • 1930murray
      Axle part paint sheens
      by 1930murray
      What black paint sheen should the spring clamps be? (I am referring to the c-shaped clamp that clips into and around the middle leaf of each pack)

What black paint sheen should the spring hanger (shackle) be?

what black paint sheen should the hanger bars be?

I am wondering why these items are not listed on sheet 4-22 in the judging standards. Are these components...
      03-21-2019, 09:56 PM
    • smittykid
      Correct black paint for gen., starter, oil pan, etc.?
      by smittykid
      The engine is out of my 29 Tudor being rebuilt by the folks out in Skokie, Il. While everything is off the engine-I figured now would be the time to paint the black stuff. Would Rustoleum gloss black be close? I'm not really going for a high point show car, but since everything is off and relatively easy to paint-I would like to get it close. Obviously, Rustoleum paint is readily available. ...
      08-12-2017, 06:46 AM
    • JohnB15632
      masking A to apply final black paint
      by JohnB15632
      I have been able to paint my A with the primary color, Maroon. Now I need to mask a lot in order to apply the black color.

Would anyone be able give me tips, help, advise on how to apply this masking. Especially, how is the tape applied to go around corners such as the windows?
      Any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
      05-12-2019, 04:20 PM
    • SeaSlugs
      28-early 29 floor board paint?
      by SeaSlugs
      So im getting a set of floor boards done - dovetailed wood plank style, all holes cut for AA with dual high pedals, holes drilled for support straps - went to old ace hardware for #12x3/4 screws with slotted head, but unsure of what to use to stain or paint them. I tested on the upper board near the pedals with black minwax polystain. Soaked in nicely to the end grain and will preserve it forever...
      09-03-2018, 09:42 PM
    • Steve Plucker
      Carburetor paint
      by Steve Plucker
      I would like to know just what type of paint you are using on your 1928-1931 Zeneth and Holley Carburetors.

Yes I know about the Japan Black method and the article in The Restorer a few months back but other than that...what else have you used with good results?

Thanks.

Pluck
      03-07-2020, 11:31 PM
    • Fordfan29
      1917 paint gloss question
      by Fordfan29
      How much gloss did the original 1917 'T' paint have from the factory? Was the paint lacquer? What is an acceptable substitute type of paint for lacquer? How was it applied to the fenders & to the body?

I'd appreciate any information to keep this car as close to original as possible, even though it will be a driver....
      01-28-2020, 01:19 AM
    Working...
    X