28-early 29 floor board paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 28-early 29 floor board paint?

So im getting a set of floor boards done - dovetailed wood plank style, all holes cut for AA with dual high pedals, holes drilled for support straps - went to old ace hardware for #12x3/4 screws with slotted head, but unsure of what to use to stain or paint them. I tested on the upper board near the pedals with black minwax polystain. Soaked in nicely to the end grain and will preserve it forever but dang the flat surfaces look like crap. Gonna have to sand and try again i think in layers.

What have you guys done??? JS i think said early ones were dipped in black paint, later plywood ones were dipped or sprayed with some asphalt kerosene concoction.

I've been told rustoleum Wrought iron black.
    See my page on japan black. I added wax to the formula and it came out great. drying was still a problem.
    Last edited by Jim Mason; 09-05-2018, 12:42 PM.
    http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

I have some original dovetailed floorboards, and they still have some of the original black paint on them. Under the webbing you can see that they have some shine, and I'd bet they were dipped along with other black painted parts. Even has a run or two.

Comment

Alright. Like i said ill try sanding the board again n see what another coat can do.

Comment

• DaWizard
          DaWizard commented
          Editing a comment
          SS, if push comes to shove, you can get a small can of interior semi gloss black and brush it on, it will cover in one coat.

If the grain is raised what's got you concerned, I don't think I'd worry about it. My boards intermediate and rear are original and had never been out. The one under the front seats has still never been removed. The grain wasn't exactly perfect and I plan on leaving them that way. I don't use the board in the front of the driver seat because I wasn't about to cut a hole in it for my Mitchell shifter. The welt or whatever you want to call it, I soaked with Henry's primer and it matches the original stuff perfect.

Do you have the original screws and washers? I haven't looked or bot from the vendors that specialize in them so I don't know how they match up to the originals. I do know the ones you get from Snyder's are not correct. For one thing the head of their screws are too small. The diameter of their washers are wrong and the countersink and hole is wrong.

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
          Tom Wesenberg commented
          Editing a comment
          That's exactly what I found wrong with the repro screws and washers I bought 20 years ago.

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep ,and believe it or not the washer I got in the kit from ??? for my GAV is darn near a perfect match. So why can't they just use those washers and work on those screws next. Maybe I'll do some more TIG experimenting and turning on the lathe, I only need to make about 6 screws to match.

SS, can I get a picture of yours ? I modified mine, but would like to see how you did the under drive pedals.
        Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

Years ago I carved an airplane, painted it SILVER, it NEVER dried, I still can't touch it, even !
          Dad

Comment

• SeaSlugs
            SeaSlugs commented
            Editing a comment
            I did that with an old bicycle once. Learned real fast do not paint the rubber handlebar grips. never did dry...

Original board after 90 years, to achieve this color I use "gilsonite" and spread it on by hand.

Comment

• Dennis
            Dennis commented
            Editing a comment
            When they cut the sides of the hold they made the cuts with a circular blade and then the circle with a different tool. Mine has similar cuts in it.

ooh nice. Whats the 2 "scallops" behind the battery hole?

Did another coat of the stain today - turned out great. Its semi gloss so should be good.

Will get pics pAAt for you tommorow.

Comment

• pAAt
            pAAt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks SS !! I'll cut you in for 1% of my PCH winnings

• Mark Maron
            Mark Maron commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't want to burst your bubble but it is to be a "dull black" wood prescriptive color NOT semi gloss at all

• Dennis
            Dennis commented
            Editing a comment
            After seeing your board mine might have been painted by the PO. At least he painted them without removing them. They all had the original lace on them.

• Tom Wesenberg
            Tom Wesenberg commented
            Editing a comment
            The two cut as I recall are for the brake linkage clearance. Mark's board is earlier than my original board. I'd have to find mine and look at it again, but as I recall it was later 28 or early 29 dovetailed boards.

Originally posted by Mark Maron View Post
          Original board after 90 years, to achieve this color I use "gilsonite" and spread it on by hand.
          Is that board for an early 1928? It does not have the cut for a forward emergency brake lever.

Comment

• Mark Maron
            Mark Maron commented
            Editing a comment
            YES e28 board and they were made of hardwood.

Originally posted by pAAt View Post
          SS, can I get a picture of yours ? I modified mine, but would like to see how you did the under drive pedals.
          pics attached. Only holes i made are for the underside supports and the dual high pedal holes. Used a 1 3/4" hole saw to make them. I had tracings of origonal 28 floorboards out of an AA so poked a series of small holes across from another thru the paper. Then laid the new board on top lining up all the other holes taped it taut to the board, flipped it over and using my existing pin pricks i poked the wood using the holes with a thumbtack. Removed tracings and had 2 nearly perfectly round marks where they should be. drew lines between all the holes and where they intersect i used the hole saw in a drill press centered on the interscet lines. Came out perfectly.

Then used all sorts of geometry to mark and trace holes of my floor support bars and piolit drilled them so they are ready to go when i get the boards done (last coat today).

Comment

forgot pics

Comment

• pAAt
              pAAt commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice ! and thank you SS

SeaSlugs is this what you wanted to see, my boards and color?

Comment

So it is a pretty light soaking/stain color. Thanks!. I assume in these pics your redoing the edge felt?

Comment

• Mark Maron
                Mark Maron commented
                Editing a comment
                Just like the standards say, DULL black wood preservative. Nothing more and wiped on in coats, it's thick and heavy..yes adding the welting to the edge.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...life-creocoat/

Comment