Turn Signal Review & Installation Info on different styles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn Signal Review & Installation Info on different styles

I just installed this turn signal kit on a friend's car, and was impressed with the quality of the unit and the instructions, which were very clear and easy to follow. A third brake light (BrakeLighter) and right taillight were already installed on the car, so that also helped. I removed the Brakelighter power wire terminal, which contained the 2 wires for both sides of the third brake light, and tied each wire to each corresponding side brake light wire. The third brake light now also acts as an additional turn signal. The connector terminal strip for the brain box has set screws which push against a metal pad to pinch each wire tight. This made connecting the wire ends very easy, and no terminals need to be soldered to this end of the wires.

I used the existing brake light wire for the left side, so I only had to run one new wire to the rear for the right side brake light.

This unit will self cancel after a period, but will extend that period if your foot is on the brake while setting at a red light. By holding the toggle switch to the left for a few seconds, the 4 way flasher is turned on. If you are buying a turn signal kit, I'd give this one two thumbs up.

http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

sounds well thought out!

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
      sounds well thought out!
      My thoughts exactly, and I forgot to add that the ignition noise of the stock Model A does not mess with the turn signal operation. It works exactly the same whether the engine is off or running.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I have heard other good reports about this setup in the past

Hey guys, its my car that they were installed into.. i have used this system before and no doubt it is one if not the best on the market, NOW here is the kit and also a shot of the plate with LED's on it with the switch, this allows me to se what is happening day or night.. it fits right below the dash rail and above the instrument panel. You can see in the last pic that have one installed in my previous sedan with a BLACK Switch, the model now includes the chrome one as it is advanced and controls the timer shut off and the BEEPER in the unit also...
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

Wow! This is much different from the three systems I have installed a few years ago. Mitch-With endorsements like this, I hope to see this within the technical reference forum so it doesn't slip my mind the next time I install a turn signal switch. At least half of the time I forget to turn off my turn signal with the units I have now.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          YES SIR

Wish I had seen this 7 years ago.
        Alaskan A's
        Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
        Model A Ford Club of America
        Model A Restorers Club
        Antique Automobile Club of America
        Mullins Owners Club

Comment

I like the turn signal in the headlights! Well everything else also :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Big hammer View Post
            I like the turn signal in the headlights! Well everything else also :-)
            the best part is you can have them ANYWHERE you want the box even comes with an optional "Parking Lights" connection OR as we know then Cowl Lights, or what ever you want..

Comment

I saw a 1930 Model A the other day, where the guy took a set of 1930 cowl lamps and made brackets and mounted them on the front bumper arms for the front turn signals. I thought that was clever I guess I'd never seen that before!

Comment

I like the turn signal set up that BRATTON'S sells, with the hidden switch above your left knee under the dash panel.
                Mike
                Michael
                1928 speedster
                1929 closed cab p/u
                1930 standard roadster
                1931 deluxe tudor sedan
                1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

Nice set up; thank you for sharing. We run LED tail lights and double filament bulbs in the cowl lights with column mounted switch, etc. One thing we found was that the (12 volt ) special electronic flasher sold by vendors for LED's caused erratic flashing.We tried 2 of them out of the box. Changed back to a cheapo 3 prong flasher and it cured the problem. We thought the Zipper ignition and poor grounds (switch to column also) had an effect but didn't appear to be the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
                    I saw a 1930 Model A the other day, where the guy took a set of 1930 cowl lamps and made brackets and mounted them on the front bumper arms for the front turn signals. I thought that was clever I guess I'd never seen that before!
                    Funny you mentioned that. I have a pair in their boxes yet waiting for the front bumper and everything else behind it to go back on before I mount them. I had fog lights up there in the past but they just didn't look right. I wanted the housing shape to match the headlamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post

Funny you mentioned that. I have a pair in their boxes yet waiting for the front bumper and everything else behind it to go back on before I mount them. I had fog lights up there in the past but they just didn't look right. I wanted the housing shape to match the headlamps.
                      Using cowl lites for front turn signals is classy! Makes your 'A' look like a Lincoln or other CCCA level car!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post

Using cowl lites for front turn signals is classy! Makes your 'A' look like a Lincoln or other CCCA level car!!
                        I agree, but what arms would you use?

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                          Jeff/Illinois commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The ones I saw, the guy had fabricated a set of mounting brackets they looked like they were made for this type of application. I should have taken a picture he did a first class job.

I have something similar to this.

https://www.brattons.com/fog-light-b...-brackets.html
                        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                          Jeff/Illinois commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The brackets I saw were a polished arm, similar to what cowl lite brackets look like, only a different angle of course. Whoever made them really put some work into them.

I have some diecast similar to JC's, polished and chrome, but I'm only going to use the clamps now. I might have a pair of clamps somewhere also that I can take the grinder to open them up to fit the bumper brackets to a little better. Painted black might even look better beings my adapters to hold the cowl arm to the clamps will be black. Above that I'm using brackets that will more or less be a 90 from the clamps. Arms and base going straight up from the housings would be the ultimate but I'll work on those later. I know of a club member that has lights similar in size to the cowl lights, and they have fluted lense like my headlights. Yeah good luck finding those. I doubt we'd ever get one of the venders to make fluted lense for cowl lights for those of us that still run headlights with them.

Comment

• Mitch
                          Mitch commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Call Bratton's and ask for the owner Jeff ya never know..

I have used the Tickin Through Time system on several cars, and I like that. The control box mounts under the seat or under the gas tank on the firewall, and a tiny toggle switch is mounted to the gear shift lever, where it is very handy to turn on and off. It comes with a beeper so you dont leave it on, like an old lady in Florida. I have mine wired into two rear lights and the brakelighter third brake light.
                        Bill
                        http://www.brauchauto.com/
                        Eastern Connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by Art Ebeling View Post

I agree, but what arms would you use?
                          Disagree. the problem is that in modern times people don't look "up" at the cowl lights for turns signals, we are trained by driving to see them in the headlight area or beneath. If you don't have them YELLOW the regular cowl is VERY VERY Hard to see in daylights especially on a bright sunny day....JMHO

Comment

And that is why mine are mounted in front and below the headlights. I have another vehicle that has cowl lights on it and they are wired for turn signals with yellow bulbs, but most people wouldn't look up there so I wired another pair of fog lights with amber lense down on the front bumper and they are turn signals also.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Maron View Post

Disagree. the problem is that in modern times people don't look "up" at the cowl lights for turns signals, we are trained by driving to see them in the headlight area or beneath. If you don't have them YELLOW the regular cowl is VERY VERY Hard to see in daylights especially on a bright sunny day....JMHO
                              Mark, I thought Jeff was refering to using cowl lights on a arm in the front area above the bumper below the headlights,not cowl lights on the cowl. That is why I asked what arms to use. I agree that the cowl lights on the cowl for turn signals are not the best.
                              Last edited by Art Ebeling; 10-17-2017, 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Why are most of you still using the #63 bulb in front turn signals when there are very bright LED lights like these https://www.ledlight.com/g18-s25-6-2...-polarity.aspx that will work as well on 6v as 12v?

I don't understand why we moan and groan about the lack of brilliance in the stock lights for the Model A when there are some very good alternatives.

The only time the original bulbs should be used is in Fine Point judging, and those cars are never driven, or hardly driven in daylight!
                                You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Dennis
                                  Dennis commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  I don't think they were complaining how bright they are, where they are located I think was the point.

The point I am trying to get across is, it doesn't matter where they are placed, cowl, bumper or headlight, there are much brighter bulbs available so we don't need to do all the extra modifications. You can use cowl lights, and with the brighter bulbs they will be seen!

One other benefit to using the LEDs is they draw way less current taxing the electrical system a lot less than incandescent bulbs.

Comment

I am using cowl lights but not up on the cowl. Wiz, some people just prefer to have incandescent bulbs.

Comment

I still use my arm along with the turn signals as many drivers are not considerate when driving around our classics. The rear LED's' and a 3rd brake light really help, however.

Comment

Homemade Turnsignal Flasher

Here's an electronic flasher I made about 1995, which is independent of load, so it will flash at the same rate with no light connected or any load up to the rating of the relay contacts. I built this in anticipation of making a turn signal system some day for my A, but have since found the store had a 2 prong electronic flasher for $3. Fleet Farm had one, which I bought, but they never restocked the item. Anyway I have also seen the EF 32 listed on ebay for cheap, so there is no need to make you own. You can even find adjustable rate electronic flashers now for as low as $1. Electronic Flasher Schematic.jpgElectronic Flasher Schematic.jpg
                                      Attached Files

Comment

• plyfor
                                        plyfor commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        We run 12 volts with LED tails and couldn't get the vendors' electronic flasher to pulse evenly; tried 2 with same result. Went to "normal" $4 flasher and all was well with good grounds all around including switch to column. Could the 6 volt set up have different req'ts? Great info. Tom.

• Tom Wesenberg
                                        Tom Wesenberg commented
                                        Editing a comment
                                        This looks like the flasher I bought from Fleet Farm. I bench tested it, and it worked OK down to 6.1 volts, even though it's a 12 volt flasher.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Prong-Ele...xYPdG8&vxp=mtr