DRIVING PRIVILEGES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRIVING PRIVILEGES

I'm "thinking" of giving up my Drivers' License & selling my LAST Vehicle, a 2004 Dodge Kadota, with ONLY 28,000 MILES on it.
    PLEASE, share your thoughts about this!
    KDad Afoot

Bill, I would have to say, that might be the biggest decision that I would make in my life That being said, if I had gals coming to my house with cars ?? Take care and great luck selling your truck !! Mitch might even let you post a price of the truck in the Model A thread ?? Dads have some pull you know Pat from the unfrozen tundra

Comment

Bill, ya gota do what ya gota do. The minute you don't feel confident getting behind the wheel is the time you need to let someone else do your driving for ya. I know it is tough to give up that freedom, but as long as you can walk or wheel chair around, you are still mobile, just a bit slower and safer.
      VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
      We grow old because we stop playing ...
      NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

• JDupuis
        JDupuis commented
        Editing a comment
        X2

Tough decision Dad.
      Doing the math, you only average 2000 miles a year. I believe you put the majority of that mileage on in it's first 10 years.
      The driving public are an impatient bunch, hell they scare me. You may be safer to hitch a ride when necessary.
      This decision is best made by You. It is harder to accept when it comes from your Doctor, the police, the DMV....ect
      Good Luck. Your Friend in Canada. Jeff

Comment

Yo Dad,
        I must of ran across dozens of drivers here in Sarasota that shouldn't be on the road. Florida may rank among one of the highest in drivers that don’t have enough common sense to call it quits. They put there self and others at risk, but I blame it on the DMV here. Apparently since there are so many older drivers they must be very lenient on license renewals.
        It’s been years since you have even driven your truck so there is no need to carry that extra expense. Get rid of it and add the proceeds to your tall stash of mad money. Hey maybe you can rent the carriage house out for 100.00 a month to someone that needs covered parking? You’re making the right decision plus you have a great support group at home. If you need help selling the truck just let me know.

I’m proud of you
        K-sssoooonuut
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Nabco
          Nabco commented
          Editing a comment
          In Florida if you’re 80 or over your license is good for 6 years, that’s crazy, they do require you to pass a vision test once you hit 80...in Ohio you need to pass a vision test if you’re 18

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          Apparently its just a vision test and not a driving test

I saw plenty of crazy maneuvers the last few days. It’s safer in downtown Philly.yikes

Bill ,my father is 86 and in pretty good shape , he has scaled his driving down to daylight only , short trips to keep his independence . its not his driving its the other Dick Heads that should have gotten a pilots licence first.

Comment

I have to agree, the number of complete idiots on the road is at an all time high today.

You'll save a bundle of cash by selling your cars. And if it is possible, get a JD Gator to replace it for short trips to the grocery store etc.

Wish they hadn't ripped out all the railroads and still had Interurbans to get around in. Every farm town in our county had a railroad some had two. All gone now. After the BN left, the farmers really felt it cost of shipping in and shipping out every thing by truck went thru the roof and the roads have all gone to heck, all beat up the state can't keep up with it and besides they are broke anyway.
          Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 07-11-2018, 11:34 AM.

Comment

I posted this to help others, in the same QUANDRY. Some feel that you might as well be DAID, if you couldn't DRIVE--Believe me, you ain't DAID, until "they" turn off yo' LIGHTS!!!-----OR SHUT OFF YO' GAS & TURN OFF YO' KEY!!!
            Sylvia's off to get the truck smogged, then, in 5 Minutes, I can get the license renewed, on line, at DMV. If we take care of the SMALL things, they won't become BIG THINGS, with penalties & late charges!
            Dad Responsible
            Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Bill: a couple of comments. Keep the license as long as you can especially in Calif. If it becomes a hassle for renewal, go to a small community nearby where the DMV offices may have less wait times than yours, etc. especially for the driving test. The truck may be a good keeper since it has low miles and was of the "compact" variety (if it's a Dakota.) For reference, I saw the new Ford Ranger oversees and it appears larger than the Dakota.

Comment

I would keep the license. Even if you dont use it much, it's there if you need it. Same for the truck. If you have a geezer center in your town, they probably have a bus that will take you to the grocer or the doctor. Use it. Keep the truck and license for a backup, or have someone drive you in it.
                Bill
                http://www.brauchauto.com/

Comment

Bill.... I've been driving since I was 9, 12 with a license. That makes 89 years total behind the wheel. I thought about giving it up too but I've always been in the driver's seat and I decided to give it up when I'm no longer able to drive a date to a Drive-in theater anymore. Great Grandson of Godzilla is playing at the Starlite Drive-in this weekend.

But....we're talking about you. Do what you think best for you Bill, as long as you still have your faculties, you're still in charge of yourself.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• carolinamudwalker
                    carolinamudwalker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Bill, just let the dog drive. He is probably better at it anyway

Tough Decision. I am hoping for driverless technology before I reach that point, it's close but one accident puts progress back.
                  +++++++++++++++++++
                  Jon.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Ben Franklin

Comment

• SeaSlugs
                    SeaSlugs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats the one great thing about those cars. Gives people who cant drive independence and freedom to go where they want again while doing it safely.

Bill, You still have your scooter don't you?

Just don't get rund over again.
                  Alaskan A's
                  Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                  Model A Ford Club of America
                  Model A Restorers Club
                  Antique Automobile Club of America
                  Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                    BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    YES, Carl, I still have my 18 MPH Scooter. It goes 40 to 45 Miles, on a recharge. I've gone EVERYWHERE on it! Even on hills, in the park, but I can't outrun them Danged Ground Squirrels!
                    KDad Scootin'

Bill,
                  That's a tough decision each of us to make. At 69 sometimes I feel like the youngster here. When my mother in law turned 87 back in Ohio and still sharp as a tack, she felt it was time to become a passenger. Sold her low mileage Dodge Dynasty to her lawn guy and started take the Senior Center bus for shopping. Good luck making that choice.
                  Last edited by slammin; 07-11-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

DANG! Truck FAILED the smog test today!Recently put in a new battery & it takes a certain amount of miles, for the Onboard Diagnostics to kick in!!! I'll let Sylvia drive it for a few days & swing by R&R Automotive, to see if it's "kicked" in yet??? Ron Strong is my HERO, whin I'm in a "PINCH"---He's done a radio talk show, called, "AUTO SHOP TALK" for 35 YEARS It's GOOD to know GOOD Folks
                    KDad Patient???

Comment

• Mitch
                      Mitch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You need to put about 40-60 miles to set the monitors .
                      We have a 5000 mile exemption in pa
                      If it’ falls under that for the year it’s just a recording of info. No actual test. Your truck would have passed here
                  Working...
                  X