Leaky early Gemmer two tooth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky early Gemmer two tooth

My car is a February '29 Tudor with a Gemmer two tooth steering gear. I believe this is an early version of the two tooth. The free play is not too bad and so I really don't have any plans for a rebuild, plus I have read that the races and bearings are different than the parts currently available that are made for the later models. (Correct me if I am wrong). The question is if there is a relatively easy way to seal the end. It seems to be leaking mostly from the very end and hardly at all around the sector shaft.

Thanks,

There's a tube that goes in the end of the box that may work for you.
    Another alternative is to fill the box with PenRite steering box lube...........NO leaky.
    Paul in CT

Comment

Bratton sells the tube Paul is referring to. It replaces the lower plate that the light switch retainer bail connects to.

https://www.brattons.com/2-tooth-ste...end-plate.html
      Bill
      http://www.brauchauto.com/
      Eastern Connecticut

Comment

To help seal the sector shaft there is also an O-ring and thin flat washer. Grease the O-ring and slip it on the sector shaft, then the flat washer, then install the steering box through the frame. I've installed a couple of these for customers years ago, and they worked as they should.

Comment

Here is another leak point. Make sure it’s not running down to the bottom from this location.

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...=2450#post2450
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I've put the tube in 4 of my A's. No complaints. Jeff
            Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

We've found the cork gasket between the housing sections is sometimes missing or deteriorated, etc. Sometimes add a little teflon paste thread sealer on the sector adjustment screw with the washer Mitch shows.

Comment

Back in the 80ts I took a 1/4 inch thick plate bored it to fit the shaft put a chamfer for a O ring. drilled two holes for for the mounting bolts. worked real well.
                O rings should have about .008 squeeze grease it good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
                  To help seal the sector shaft there is also an O-ring and thin flat washer. Grease the O-ring and slip it on the sector shaft, then the flat washer, then install the steering box through the frame. I've installed a couple of these for customers years ago, and they worked as they should.
                  So it sounds like this O ring and flat washer are both external to the box? Just remove the box, install the ring and washer to the shaft and bolt back in? I think I can handle that.

Comment

• Dennis
                    Dennis commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes but read George's post #8. He used a plate that he drilled holes instead of a washer. You need something behind the ears of the steering box or it's possible to break the ears off when you tighten it.

Originally posted by 2manycars View Post
                  Bratton sells the tube Paul is referring to. It replaces the lower plate that the light switch retainer bail connects to.

https://www.brattons.com/2-tooth-ste...end-plate.html
                  Thank you both!

Comment

My washer looks crude but it works. I welded a couple of washers the same thickness as the washer in the middle so it wouldn't bend or break the ears on the steering box.

Comment

The washer may work, but you need it to be tight to the shaft, plus you need a chamfered to put the right pressure on the O ring. And yes you need to support the ears of the steering box. We used all kinds of O rings in the cylinder manufacturing business.
                      Last edited by George Miller; 07-12-2018, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
                        Mitch, what is the part# for the o ring and flat washer that you use?

Comment

Originally posted by old31 View Post

Mitch, what is the part# for the o ring and flat washer that you use?
                          Check out this technical thread. I had many leak from the sector adjusting nut. This is my fix, it's just a rubber / metal washer. The post you quoted Tom is for the box to the frame

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...=2450#post2450

3 ~ Tudor's
                          Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

BTW, not to hijack your thread but
                            Look at all the Related Steering Topics below. That feature is working real nice. I can increase the amount of returns that it shows to more than 6
                            3 ~ Tudor's
                            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Yes I saw that rubber washer and ordered it from Amazon. But I was not sure that is that what you use for the end of the shaft to the frame?

Comment

Here ya go
                                https://www.brattons.com/2-tooth-ste...asket-set.html
                                3 ~ Tudor's
                                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Thanks Mitch.

Comment

Some folks prefer the original (bronze) bushings vs. the needle bearings, the latter may leak more without the added seals. Have had both and found the neoprene to wear down. My late 2 tooth has a grease fitting added at the sector shaft . I also saw one box that used the thread style graphite waterpump packing wrapped around the sector at the frame and compressed, though haven't tried that.

Comment

Are you installing the o ring with a little oil or would Permatex 2 be better?

https://www.brattons.com/2-tooth-ste...asket-set.html

Comment

It's usually good practice lube an o-ring with the appropriate lubricant for the situation. On this i’ll use chassis grease, just a tad on it to keep it slippery.
                                        Example
                                        On an a/c system i'll lube the o-ring with compressor oil.
                                        If you did use permatex it would probably be fine but I never have. As usual there are many ways and methods to skin a cat.
                                        3 ~ Tudor's
                                        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

OK, if you use oil than oil it is. I’m not looking for a new way to skin a dead cat.

Comment

• Mitch
                                            Mitch commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            reread, I wrote grease, but oil will work