Jan '29 Tudor on a March '31 frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jan '29 Tudor on a March '31 frame

Hello all. My plan is to replace the sagging weld repaired frame with a straight unmolested March 1931 frame (frame number is visible). I understand the radiator mounting pad height were changed, cowl body mount bracket was moved rearward and this frame has the rear body brackets in place. This frame I have has the service and emergency brake cross shafts which are in good shape. With this info and a perfect world straight forward R&R? Thanx for the assistance in advance.

The only real problem I can foresee you having is hood and radiator alignment. You will need to raise the radiator uP to get the right results, and if you don't take a rubbing of the frame number and register it using the number on the motor, I see no other problems. Naturally, there could be body mounting hole relocations, but that is easily done.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Thanx *****, I'm gonna keep the e-brake to the front of the gearshift, but I will 4sure reach out when I start this swap. Good to see you here also.

Comment

I've wondered about doing something like this but never did because I didn't know whether I would use the 28/9 hood or the 30/31 one and whichever one I did use, will it fit at both ends? That is, Is the shape of the radiator top and the top of the cowl the same?

Comment

• DaWizard
          DaWizard commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the hood and cowl and shell all need to be the same year, 28/29 and 30/31. The cowls are different, and since the shells are longer on the 30/31 I think the hood could also be longer on the front panels, though I have not measured to be sure.

Related Topics

Collapse

• KB9JLO
        'A' Frame
        by KB9JLO
        If for whatever reason a person was going to build a Model A, piece by piece what would you look for in a frame, front and back axle? Obviously not going for perfection, just a good driver......
        08-18-2018, 03:36 PM
      • Bill G
        Frame sag?
        by Bill G
        This is not scientific by any means, but I am curious as to what acceptable frame sag would be. When placing a level across the driver's side frame rail. I can see a bit of light through the gap. The location is right at the point where the back of the cowl would meet the front of the body. Using a feeler gauge, a .020 will fit through, but a .025 won't. To me, this appears minimal. Comments?
        09-06-2018, 11:59 PM
      • TippyXX
        Soft top frame
        by TippyXX
        Looking for a frame, used or maybe mechanical drawings so I can make my on frame. any all all info will be appreciated
        Thank you in advance. Its a convertible top frame.... got so excited to post left out all the information. 31' Roadster...
        03-16-2018, 04:05 PM
      • Dan Kurth
        Sagging frame questions
        by Dan Kurth
        I have two frames that need to be straightened, one is down about 3/16" and the other about 1/2". I took the front axle off the first one I'm going to try, and plan to leave the rear attached to hold the back down. I have a sawhorse under the frame under the engine mounts, and I'll hang some weights on the frame horns. So, in heating the frame, how hot should I get it and how big of an area...
        08-14-2018, 07:49 PM
      • Hank B
        Radiator Mounting Hole Dimensions
        by Hank B
        When I restored my '30 frame, I used the Wescott Auto dimensions for various holes that needed filling and re-drilling. The Radiator mounting holes are indicated at 20" o/c, 1/2" ahead of centre of the front cross member. I ordered a new US made Heavy Duty radiator and the mounting holes are 19 5/16" o/c. Can anyone tell me which is incorrect? My choices seem to be to rebuild the tabs...
        07-28-2018, 02:33 PM
      • newshirt
        Define Frame-off Restoration
        by newshirt
        Why is it called "frame-off restoration"? I don't understand how a frame can be taken off, or what it is taken off of. The wheels, yes. The body, yes. But not the frame. It can't be taken off of anything.

Can anyone explain where this term came from? And why it is used? I understand the meaning behind it, but not the choice of words.

Shouldn't it be "body-off...
        05-15-2017, 03:46 PM
      • Dennis
        Original motor mounts
        by Dennis
        I am taking off my FAM's and reinstalling my original mounts. I don't remember which way the pad on the outside of the frame goes....
        05-05-2018, 01:35 AM
      • Kippironheadmcn
        Model a vin number
        by Kippironheadmcn
        Having trouble finding the year for this vin number. Any help would be great. Starting a build with just a frame. Vin # A24961××(left the last 2 numbers off)
        06-25-2018, 08:27 AM
      • davew
        Frame Sag
        by davew
        I checked the chassis section and could not find any information on this. If you have determined that your frame has suffered this fate how is it best fixed? Do you have to take the body off or can it be done with the body on? I have looked at the Les Andrews book. Just wondering what the thoughts were on this site. Thanks, David
        04-07-2018, 09:01 AM
      • lwicker113
        1941 vs. 1948 car frame
        by lwicker113
        Will a 1941 Ford 2dr body fit on a 1948 frame? My son and I might have found a better frame than we have if it will fit. Thanks for any help. Save this old man from making a mistake. Thanks...
        10-15-2018, 07:07 PM
      Working...
      X