Stop Burning Ignition Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Burning Ignition Points

I've seen lots of miracle gadgets, but this is a new one for me. It goes in series with the primary of the coil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Auto-Lit...19.m1438.l2649

Gee, just reading the title of this thread reminds me of my Father as kid telling me to turn off the ignition or you can burn the points... Thanks Tom, those times working with late Father on cars were fun..

Comment

I dunno. I have never had a problem turning off the ignition.

Comment

Interesting. Seems like probably just a resistor. The write-up cracked me up, especially the part about dipping the stripped wire is solder.

Comment

The points in my '55 F250 would oxidize all too frequently. The condenser was the correct one. Miles' electrical teacher from resto college had told the class to use a diode in series with the feed wire to the dizzy. I tried it, and have not had an issue with the points since. That was 7 yrs ago. None of my other vehicles has ever needed this.
          Maybe our chief electrical guru on the forum can help me to understand why this works

Comment

This device is to help prevent heat damage to the contact points by reducing the inline voltage to them while in use.
            Not so much if you left the key on
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• conaway2
              Stock Ignition Points
              by conaway2
              The copper strip on several sets of stock ignitions points I've bought recently is too long and comes very close to touching the distributor cam and shorting the primary ignition ciruit. Does anyone make or sell a set of stock points where the copper strip is closer to the length of the spring it sits next to ?

From what I can tell from looking at various suppliers’ websites, all the...
              03-18-2021, 02:28 PM
            • DaWizard
              Ignition Problem
              by DaWizard
              Ok, for the past few weeks I have been fighting a early morning cold start problem. This might get long winded but I want to get as much information out to get the best input.

When cold, under about 60º, the ignition on Wheezer has refused to fire. Funny thing has happened, after blowing the little turn signal indicator light, I replaced it with an LED which has worked flawlessly, as
              12-19-2018, 10:32 AM
            • canadian
              ignition points
              by canadian
              29, Using truck every day for past several months, 6000 kilometres with no major repair issues .I Noticed a little sluggish on hills so decided to check points and plugs etc. Points gap was in access of .30 , I know I set these at .20 I was expecting worn rubbing block and points closed up but I have the exact opposite ...of course..
              10-10-2019, 06:45 AM
            • Captndan
              Did a search but came up empty. Where to get good points? Need them now not in a week.
              11-02-2018, 07:04 AM
            • plyfor
              Condensor at Firewall/coil
              by plyfor
              Is there any issue with mounting the condenser up at the coil? 12 volt system with 16ga wire, internal resistor coil, etc. .
              03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
            • Mitch
              Electrical and Ignition Diagnosis
              by Mitch

Lets use the above wiring diagram to make some basic electrical checks. Follow along on the diagram as you read through this.

The solid yellow (Y) wire is the main feed for the entire Model A circuit. This connects to the battery wire at the starter or feeds through an after market starter mounted fuse....
              06-11-2019, 09:05 PM
            • A29tudor
              Any one know the thread pitch of the adjustable point on the stock points assy?...
              12-27-2019, 10:06 PM
            • WAYNEB
              Ignition switch has no power
              by WAYNEB
              Ok new question. 1928 pickup was running fine. I shut it down would not start again. Checked points first. After a few hours of looking I found no power to points or really anywhere. Ammeter did not move. Coil no power. Wondering if someone put a fuse somewhere. I ran a jumper to the back of ignition switch and it started right up. Suggestions please. When I turned it off it would not start without...
              04-27-2021, 07:50 PM
            • canadian
              condenser location.
              by canadian
              I had a problem that caused me to have several blown condensers. while trying to solve reason for condenser failure,I located a 70"S style condenser side by side with ignition coil on firewall. after 1500 Kilometers I have zero issues with condenser, and points are clean . so if a person had a suspected condenser failure a condenser mounted in this position will get you home. cause of my condenser...
              07-02-2019, 05:39 AM
            • plyfor
              Modern Points ,condenser
              by plyfor
              Sorry to belabor this subject but for a 12 volt modern upper plate dizzy, Rockauto sells 2 types for 65 V8 Mustang, each as follows:
              FD77T (Tseries) condenser @$2.53, the FD77 @ $4.89. The points are FD8183VT @$3.03 and FD8183V @ $10.02.
              Are these a correct application and what would be the difference aside from price? We found in a box of parts a condenser from a known A vendor in a Standard
              01-21-2018, 06:16 PM
            Working...
            X