Stop Burning Ignition Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop Burning Ignition Points

I've seen lots of miracle gadgets, but this is a new one for me. It goes in series with the primary of the coil.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Auto-Lit...19.m1438.l2649

Gee, just reading the title of this thread reminds me of my Father as kid telling me to turn off the ignition or you can burn the points... Thanks Tom, those times working with late Father on cars were fun..

Comment

I dunno. I have never had a problem turning off the ignition.

Comment

Interesting. Seems like probably just a resistor. The write-up cracked me up, especially the part about dipping the stripped wire is solder.

Comment

The points in my '55 F250 would oxidize all too frequently. The condenser was the correct one. Miles' electrical teacher from resto college had told the class to use a diode in series with the feed wire to the dizzy. I tried it, and have not had an issue with the points since. That was 7 yrs ago. None of my other vehicles has ever needed this.
          Maybe our chief electrical guru on the forum can help me to understand why this works

Comment

This device is to help prevent heat damage to the contact points by reducing the inline voltage to them while in use.
            Not so much if you left the key on
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
              Ignition Problem
              by DaWizard
              Ok, for the past few weeks I have been fighting a early morning cold start problem. This might get long winded but I want to get as much information out to get the best input.

When cold, under about 60º, the ignition on Wheezer has refused to fire. Funny thing has happened, after blowing the little turn signal indicator light, I replaced it with an LED which has worked flawlessly, as
              12-19-2018, 10:32 AM
            • Captndan
              Did a search but came up empty. Where to get good points? Need them now not in a week.
              11-02-2018, 07:04 AM
            • plyfor
              Condensor at Firewall/coil
              by plyfor
              Is there any issue with mounting the condenser up at the coil? 12 volt system with 16ga wire, internal resistor coil, etc. .
              03-11-2018, 06:55 PM
            • plyfor
              Modern Points ,condenser
              by plyfor
              Sorry to belabor this subject but for a 12 volt modern upper plate dizzy, Rockauto sells 2 types for 65 V8 Mustang, each as follows:
              FD77T (Tseries) condenser @$2.53, the FD77 @ $4.89. The points are FD8183VT @$3.03 and FD8183V @ $10.02.
              Are these a correct application and what would be the difference aside from price? We found in a box of parts a condenser from a known A vendor in a Standard
              01-21-2018, 06:16 PM
            • Jim Mason
              free 5 points
              by Jim Mason
              There is one area you can hang on to 5 points with no work at all. which area is it?
              06-22-2018, 10:54 AM
            • JohnnyDeMichael
              Help! Car dead . . .
              by JohnnyDeMichael
              I finally got my 1929 coupe back together. The timing was (I believe) near perfect. I even drove it into the city one day with no issues. We live in the suburbs. A couple days ago, I had not driven the car for several days so I decided to go for a 10 minute drive before sundown. The car sounded good . . . So I was very surprised when suddenly it stopped firing 2 miles from home! No sputtering . ....
              10-20-2018, 10:10 PM
            • Jwmckenzie
              Points and Condenser
              by Jwmckenzie
              I have run both original points and condenser setups as well as modern points and condensers mounted on the upper plate. I "think" the car sounds better at idle with original points. What is your preference.
              Original Points and Condenser
              76.47%
              Condenser and Points mounted on the upper plate
              20.59%
              Electronic Ignition of some sort
              2.94%
              05-20-2018, 12:48 PM
            • tbirdtbird
              Technical question for MikeK
              by tbirdtbird
              With a Kettering ignition, you need a condenser else the spark you get from the coil is the most pitiful thing you can imagine, and won't jump an angstrom.
              Why are not modern electronic ignitions in need of a condenser? They still must have a coil, for obvious reasons
              08-23-2018, 09:19 AM
            • Cape Codder
              Coil Decision
              by Cape Codder
              I am looking to purchase a coil other than OIL filled. I see that Summit Racing sells Per Tronix Ignition Coils which are EPOXY filled and Primary Resistance is 1.5 ohms with maximum voltage rated at 40,000 volts.

MY QUESTIONS:
              How does this coil match up to the original coll in that it is filled with EPOXY and voltage rated at 40,000 volts?
              What is the original coils maximum...
              10-05-2018, 02:32 PM
            • Paul
              Snap near coil when timing
              by Paul
              While timing my Model A today, I was able to hear a snapping sound near and/or in the coil when I was opening and closing the points. The points are sparking and the car is running. Any clues on the noise?
              08-24-2018, 05:55 PM
            Working...
            X