Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leak at the rear of the engine and not the rear main?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak at the rear of the engine and not the rear main?

I remember in the past this being brought up and I think it was George Miller that commented one of the bolts holes near the camshaft at the back of the block goes through. Well the last time I forgot to seal that bolt when I put it back together. And yes she was a leaker. I also discovered the hole on the left side above the crankshaft journal goes through. So it's sealer for both of those bolts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-05-2018, 03:34 AM.

Yes flat and no cracks that I can find. I used some dye to test with. I checked the circumference and face runout. All within .002", that shouldn't have anything to do with the leak. I removed the inspection cover when it was in the car, running and or shut off no evidence of oil leaking from the main bearing. When shut off it would drip from the housing, not much but enough to be annoying having to always throw something on the floor under the car.
    Last edited by Dennis; 07-05-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Yes they will leak by the threads. Most of the time the head of the bolt with mate with the housing so they will not leak. But some times it is a little rough there and they will leak. It is best to put sealer on the threads to be sure. Also put sealer on both sides of the gasket at the camshaft, best to be safe then sorry. They will also leak oil around the rear main bolts some times. I know some do not believe this but that is ok. They will have the leakers not me.
      Last edited by George Miller; 07-05-2018, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here George. I know where it was leaking and what to do to fix it. Like you said not all blocks are like this, just some and that is why you need to look.

If the gasket is installed backwards oil can leak out of the camshaft .

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        Now that would be very obvious if the gasket was backwards. It would be more than just a small leak.

I did it once and just a small piece of the gasket was showing on the camshaft side of the engine . It did leak quite a bit . Norm

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• tbirdtbird
        Oil leaking? Think it is the rear main? read this
        by tbirdtbird
        Several threads have popped up here about various oil leaks.
        Well, on vintage stuff, ya gonna have'em.
        But we try to keep them small.

If you think you have a rear main leak, Rich Fallucca has a good read on this:
        http://antiqueenginerebuilding.com/REARMAINLEAK.html

BUT there is one more thing to check, and it might be worth it to check this first:
        05-23-2017, 09:20 PM
      • MIKE DERUITER
        REAR MAIN LEAK
        by MIKE DERUITER
        AFTER PUTTING ABOUT 50 MILES ON MY 29 MODEL A . THE NEXT MORNING I NOTICED A A FAIRLEY LARGE OIL SPOT UNDER THE REAR MAIN . I AM PLANNING ON DROPING THE PAN SOON , ANY THOUGHTS TO WHAT I MIGHT FIND ARE APPRECIATED
        08-05-2018, 02:56 PM
      • Licensed to kill
        Tracking an oil leak
        by Licensed to kill
        I had the oil leaks in my car down to a slow trickle (from a relative torrent when I got it) but then pulled the motor/trans for some freshening. Was VERY careful in assembly (I thought) to button everything up nice but now find that the oil leak at the back is worse than before. Not as bad as when I got it (the drainback tube was missing) but quite bad. I've been going over and over what I could...
        08-12-2020, 06:08 PM
      • Ray Sullivent
        Differential Leak 1931 Model A
        by Ray Sullivent
        Can I use Blue Devil Stop Leak in differential of my 1931 Model A to stop a leak? I think it has to be rubber seals for that product to work ?
        01-15-2021, 12:16 PM
      • minutemantom
        Leak from rear of clamshell
        by minutemantom
        I have transmission oil leaking from the rear of the clamshell. Any way to stop the leak?
        08-07-2020, 11:50 AM
      • Tom Rode
        Significant oil leak
        by Tom Rode
        So I've been driving this car a week or two now, parked in garage it leaks no oil, go for a drive and come back and park it on driveway and it drips oil from the weep hole in the bell housing for 5 or 10 minutes after I return. Clearly leaking while running. Read some about clogged oil return line from the rear main bearing, and other issues regarding leak at bearing and/or seal. Have read other sources...
        11-13-2019, 08:34 AM
      • WMWS
        Oil leak
        by WMWS
        I have a small oil leak coming out between the flywheel housing and the inspection plate. The half moon plate between the pan and flywheel housing. It is not coming from the hole at the bottom of the flywheel housing. What is causing this. I ran the engine for about 10 minutes at the garage with the cover off and I could not see any oil coming out. But with the cover on, and out on the road it leaks....
        09-05-2020, 03:19 PM
      • Adog
        Newby needs a question answered on 29 model a pickup rear main oil leak
        by Adog
        Just bought a new to me 1929 model a pickup. Engine runs fine with no knocks. After a 20 minute test drive and parked on concrete, oil flowed out of flywheel housing. A area approximately 18 inches In diameter. Oil also leaking from left side of engine pan and base of oil fill pipe.

I have all of Les Andrews books. Question, is it possible to remove pan and the rear main cap for inspection...
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 1 photos.
        01-23-2020, 07:31 AM
      • Beauford
        How in the hell???
        by Beauford
        Ok, I use to have a leak on left side facing engine on flywheel housing. It was do to a poor gasket. I RTV'ed new gasket and no leak. I moved chassis and tarped it so I can paint my body. It is parked on a decline nose down and I just get home from work and oil is on the housing face. The oil should be up front. How does this happen????
        06-05-2017, 07:38 PM
      • gsnort
        Do all Model A's leak oil?
        by gsnort
        Hi, everyone. I'm George Smullen of Waupun, Wisconsin. I'm 81 years young and bought my first car, a stock 1931 Model A coupe when I was 16 years old. That's 65 years ago. I recently bought a 1929 Special Model A coupe. As I looked underneath the car I bought, I saw that it dripped oil while parked. "All Model A' drip oil," the owner told me. I don't recall my car from my youth dripping...
        10-03-2020, 10:08 AM
      Working...
      X