A Branson highlight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Branson highlight

So I was sitting at the VFF tent one day and up comes this kid carrying a cracked cylinder head. I asked him to take a load off and have a seat with us. The day before I had a VFF’er drop off a pair of Jan-Feb 30 eye brow front fenders at our spot to try and sell. Well after a few minutes this boy told me the info of when these fenders were used right off the cuff. I quickly realized that Stephen is someone very special and is basically a young walking encyclopedia about these Model A’s. It turns out that he is with the St. Louis area club of Larry Shepard. I kept in contact with 17 year old Stephen over the rest of the week. He was a judge at the touring class event, but really imo should be a fine point judge. At the touring class he was pointing out many issues regarding wrong items on some of these vehicles. I wanted to share this little story with the VFF as it was one of the highlights of the week for me. Of course I got him to sign up here the other day and offered to see if he wanted to ask some JS questions in the FP forum. Stay tuned, this little guy has a bright future.
    1~1931 Tudor ~ Dad
    2~1930 Tudor's ~ Lucy & Paul

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Glad there are youngsters willing to learn.

Something I have been trying to do when I work on someone's car is have them here and if nothing else, locating tools, but most of all, learning about their car and what and why I am doing what I am doing to their car.

I do have some decent information to share with the owners even if they don't want to get dirty.

I also try to get them on here so they can ask questions, but most of all, to pass on the information.

Great job Mitch..
    "We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing ...
    NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Stephen could teach most, if not all of us some stuff. Incredible youngster

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      And he is not exagerating one bit either. Very sharp young man.

Best story I've heard in quite a while, thanks for sharing this. I'm glad to see young folks interested in antique cars.

And also thank you Mitch for keeping us posted on the Branson meet, that couldn't get there. Enjoyed reading about it and seeing the pictures.

I'd say the Model A Ford hobby is alive and doing quite well. Judging from participation that MAFCA had out in Reno at their National Convention a few days ago, there is as much interest in the cars today as when I first started out in the early 70's in the hobby.

And, another point of interest, check out the Dingman Auction results from a few days ago and look what people bid for the Flathead Fords and several other collector cars. Pretty high prices over there. Yes, there still is interest in this stuff I don't see it going away in MY lifetime!

http://rickcarey.com/rm-auctions-mic...ne-23-24-2018/

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
      BILL WILLIAMSON commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm waiting to hear from Friends, who are probably just draggin' in from RENO! While on his way there, Bob Sharp called & talked for 45 Minutes, while crossing Donner Summit, on Highway 80.
      Dads' Switchboard

Thanks Mitch for posting the note on Stephen . He’s an important part to our own Missouri valley region group and of course to me personally. His grandfather who was part of our group was suddenly taken from us all in a freak car accident . Stephen learned much from him and others within our group as well as reading and learning on his own. I know he will be carrying the torch for us down the road. I do believe he should be and would be a fine asset to the fine point process.
    Larry

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Apparently you are home.

• Larrys40
      Larrys40 commented
      Editing a comment
      got home about when I posted it..... we stopped at some antique shops and stuff along the way and ate at the Rib Crib in Marshfeild. Great place for an economical BBQ meal.

So what about the cracked head????? Just curious.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      He told me he gave it away for free to a swap vendor. Then shortly thereafter he was offered 20.00 for it... to late.
Working...
X