Distributer back lash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributer back lash

Could somebody explain why there is back lash in the distributer ? I would think the pieces would fit so that there is no back lash. Yes I know I am wrong but would like to explain it to me please.

Actually Bill, the backlash is not in the distributor. It originates at the gear on the oil pump drive and because it is a slotted rod that comes up to the bottom of the distributor, it wears. Also, that slotted shaft is also slotted on the other end going into the distributor. So, from the lash of gear drive to slotted shaft to slotted shaft to distributor is where all the lash is accumulated.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Big hammer
      Big hammer commented
      Editing a comment
      The camshaft gear wears also! Not the timing gear but the driving gear for the oil pump drive gear
      Last edited by Big hammer; 07-22-2017, 02:41 PM.

The backlash is the accumulation on the amount of wear in the ends of the distributor shaft, oil pump gear and the intermediate distributor shaft. Camshaft gear teeth wear can also effect this lash, but may not be as detectable. I have timed many cars with the backlash measuring a 1/2" or more.

Basically what Wiz Man said above
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Heard of a Guy that put SUPER ADHESIVE in the distributor drive shaft slots!!---"Wunder" how that went????
      Bill Andyouthinkiamgoofy??

Comment

Originally posted by Purdy
        Yo Bro, It probly woodn't go no whurs ... Yer brother ***** .
        It would be like, "SET IT & FORGET IT"--He'd have to lurn how to overhaul his distributor, "IN PLACE"---He may as well have "glued" the distributor to the head!---LOL---Or glued on the HEADGASKET ON, with his SUPER ADHESIVE--
        Bill W.

Comment

Moderate backlash means nothing to the operation of the engine.

Comment

I suppose you don't want this... The distributor shaft was a little tight btw and it did not have the hole in the top of the shaft. Maybe that would have helped. Notice the slot in the old shaft, I wonder how that got in there. For you old timers, were the reproduction shafts like that, or was that an original shaft?
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 3 photos.

Comment

My upper bushing has stayed well oiled just by filling the oil tube as mentioned in the owner's manual. I rebuilt it about 1995 and it's still good and snug.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Dennis
                Model A transmission ratios
                by Dennis
                Just thinking about something here and didn't put the math to it because I know there are others much better at it than I am. So ultimately my question is what percent is 2nd gear slower than 3rd?

Here's what I was thinking, if you take a Model A transmission and turn it around, remove 1st and reverse sliding gear, and the reverse idler, and if it were possible to make a housing for...
                08-29-2018, 11:15 PM
              • Bill G
                Cam Shaft question Model A vs Model B
                by Bill G
                Other than the lobe for a fuel pump, are the A & B cam shafts the same and do they take the same timing gear? Is the timing of the lobes the same?

When we recently tore into my engine to replace the timing gear we found that the engine apparently had a model B cam shaft with the fuel pump lobe. I have never had any timing issues with it, but I am wondering if the B cam shaft would...
                09-13-2020, 11:08 PM
              • canadian
                cam gear.
                by canadian
                trying to sort out a engine noise . removed cover for timing gear , have a small amount of backlash movement but noticed that gear is a little loose seems around centre somewhere. fibre gear . question can this be replaced in car? I have a aluminum one on hand, are these recommended ? or worst ? also can cam gear come off on it own or does both gears have to come off at same time? thanks
                05-13-2019, 11:04 AM
              • Cape Codder
                What type of Timing Gear
                by Cape Codder
                I see there are aluminum timing gears offered by the vendors.
                1. Is / was there ever a brass one offered?
                2. Does changing to a metal timing gear make more noise than the fiber gear?
                3. If an aluminum gear is used how does it fair to meshing with a steel gear as to wear?
                4. Lastly, the instructions provided by the vendor description is to have at least .003" lash...
                12-18-2018, 12:25 PM
              • DaWizard
                Driveshaft Speedometer Gear
                by DaWizard
                Ok, before I ask this, I believe I already know the answer, so since I couldn't find anything in the Search results, I will ask anyway to maybe have this put into the Tech area.

Today I have a Sport Coupe to work on and the owner asked to fix the speedo. Well, he brought 4 different speedo cable assemblies and 2 turtles and 3 speedos that he said were "rebuilt".

06-25-2018, 01:36 PM
              • DaWizard
                Fiber Cam Gear
                by DaWizard
                After doing a no load pre fit of the cam to crank gears, with a +.005 fiber gear I have 2 barely noticeable loose spots and both line up with the same few teeth on the crank gear, so I'm gona run it with those spots as the old cam gear was loooooose.

Now, the question that suddenly struck me is, if the fiber cam gear is to be splashed with oil anyway, why not pre lube it by letting it
                08-18-2018, 02:48 PM
              • Tudor31
                Did not know this could happen
                by Tudor31
                Dropped the oil pan today as a part of getting Eleanor back on the road. The pan was better than expected but the oil pump screen was horrendous. Somebody cleaned the pan and forgot all about the oil pump.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                03-21-2019, 08:35 PM
              • Neil Wilson
                Drive Shaft Roller-Bearing/Speedometer-Gear to retainer spacing
                by Neil Wilson
                The photo below shows the installation sequence for the sleeve, bearing, washer, gear, retainer at the front of the torque tube. Does anyone know how much space is between the speedometer gear and the retainer after installation?...
                11-04-2019, 11:03 AM
              • saxman657
                Pinion Gear jamming with Flywheel Ring Gear
                by saxman657
                I've had the pinion gear jam with the flywheel ring gear several times within the past 4 weeks or so on my 1928 Tudor. I was able to pull the starter and inspect the Bendix and flywheel. Bendix moves freely and starter operates fine with bench test. I do have some marks on the pinion gear as well as on the flywheel gear ring when viewed through the the starter opening (see photos). First jam I...
                04-26-2019, 12:45 AM
              • DaWizard
                New engine noise
                by DaWizard
                If some of you read the "Modified" section you will see I have been having a small problem with a "B" distributor. Well, for a simple solution I carried and installed the Jeep distributor which I won't go into here. But in doing this, I noticed I developed a new noise.

The "B" distributor being a two piece shaft didn't have a problem, installing the single
                09-24-2019, 11:31 AM
              Working...
              X