clutch adjustment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch adjustment.

I have a 29 , all stock but 12 volt conversion. have just completed a 500 kilometre road test, back a year or so ago while assembling this project when it came to clutch I replaced disc and bearing . I made a finger adjustment tool as per Toms specs. everything operates smooth , no slippage . My issue is , seems like clutch pedal is off floor almost 1/2 to 3/4 of its travel to engage . by depressing clutch pedal while engine is working clutch will slip when pedal is pushed 2 or 3 inches.bit long winded on description ,but this doesn't seem right but is it a finger thing or linkage or?

How much free play do you have at the top? Is it disengaging the trans well?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• canadian
      canadian commented
      Editing a comment
      disengages with 2 inches of movement. just seems like to much movement from bottom to when it engages.

It seems you are describing a narrow 'friction zone'
    However, the main question to me would be, Does it grab when engaging? If not, it is prolly OK

Comment

• Tom Wesenberg
      Tom Wesenberg commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, if it doesn't slip, shake, or grab, then it sounds OK.

• canadian
      canadian commented
      Editing a comment
      yes clutch engages smoothly , No chatter . just seems a little to much pedal travel from floor . maybe be my mind.

Ok, here is my rule of thumb...Open the inspection/grease plate and watch the throw out bearing and depress the clutch pedal, the adjustment should be 1" (22mm) of pedal before the TO touches the pressure plate fingers. Also, it is very important to have the fingers all the same 5/8-11/16 depth from the PP ring.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Set your free play as Wiz says at 1”. No grinding or other issues I would roll with that
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

TIP# 107: For QUICK, EASY Kclutch adjustment, take out the adjustment rod, drill the Khole in Kcrossbar, where the rod will just slide through. Put 2 Knuts on the rod, on both sides of the Kcrossbar. VOILLE" you have a QUICK/EASY Kadjuster goody!---Suppliers sell a similar Kthing, but this one is KCHEEP!
        KDad
        Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-21-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Congrats on the 500klm test drive. Great achievement! Jeff
          Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

• canadian
            canadian commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Jeff, I figured because this was just a frame when I built it and the amount of things that can go wrong I would do a bumper to bumper inspection. couple of things need a extra grunt but overall not bad, front wheel bearings a little loose and headlights all cock eyed. clutch seems a little off to me but all in all a great experience .

• JDupuis
            JDupuis commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to hear it Perry! You deserve a big round of applause, for a job well done.
            Perseverance pays off. . Jeff

Most folks do set the free play at about 1". If you don't like the clutch engaging that high you could try increasing the free play another inch. As long as the clutch will completely disengage its fine. I happen to like a lot of free play.

Comment

• canadian
            canadian commented
            Editing a comment
            so Patrick you are saying that if I increase the freeplay a little it works opposite on the other end ... engage a little quicker?

update . to add to confusion I removed inspection cover , first thing was some grease was around end of T. O. B., No Big deal cleaned up. started engine , bearing not spinning . Free Play.... when pressing clutch peddle it drops about 2 inches ... but ... when at rest T.O.B outer lip has only 1/2 free play. I put this together a long time ago , there is all new parts on linkage with no play or odd movements. tried to take a picture but useless.

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            The distance you have from TOB to fingers doesn't really matter as long as it is clear of the fingers at rest. If you are still getting full release at the pedal placement you want, you can adjust the pedal travel to your liking. I prefer to "heel toe" the clutch and when I adjusted mine, I started at 1" and since that released too high I adjusted it so I had more free pedal travel which reduced the distance it took to release the clutch.

Make it your own, nothing in this adjustment is etched in stone. The 1" travel is there to insure you aren't constantly touching the TOB to the fingers, that's all.

• BILL WILLIAMSON
            BILL WILLIAMSON commented
            Editing a comment
            Cindys' front door camera showed a BLACK SPIDER, crawling across the LENS! She sent me a VIDEO of it! She LOVES her "TOYS"---
            Dad Solidstatechallenged

We adjusted the freeplay at 1" on a V8 clutch (3 fingers) and lightened flywheel, etc. Still had some finger-touching of the throwout bearing.So do as DA Wiz and others state to check via the inspection hole, and also check for adequate spring tension at clutch pedal return.

Comment

update. adjusted linkage so T.O.B is 1/4 inch from fingers. clutch works excellent ,couple inches off floor engages smoothly with no issues.

Comment

Good deal!

Comment

So glad to hear. Happy you have the pedal where you like it.
                You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment