Distributer Removeable ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributer Removeable ??

What is the safest way to remove a stuck distributor without damage ? I have a manifold on the car with the heater element on top. I am soaking it with kroil spray. As always thanks in advance for any any advise.

MORE IMPORTANT IS TO THANKS MITCH FOR HIS SITE !! THANKS MITCH YOUR THE MAN !! LETS GET MORE PEOPLE SIGNED UP !

The easiest and safest way is to remove the side screw and with a small hammer tappity tappity while you gently rock a pair of screw drivers between the dizzy and head. It will come up without much fuss if you just be patient.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

You may end up having to remove the heater, but the screw behind it has to be loosened and then you can try the ss/drivers. Mine was "locked" and took a 3 ft pry bar to get out.
      Paul in CT

Comment

The dizzy body is a very weak casting, be careful. Soak the daylights out of it. Play a torch flame gently around the base to get the kroil to soak in deeper. As mentioned give some gentle love taps. Be very patient, it may take several tries over several days. Remember that the dizzy does NOT rotate, it is pinned in place; so trying to turn it to loosen it won't work. Once out, and ready to re-install, be sure you have wire-wheeled the rust off, and use some Never Seize on there. The next mechanic you help by doing this may be you.

Comment

I have been meaning to buy one but kept putting it off. Wish I ordered it on my last order to Brattons. I sure miss Walt Bratton!
          Last edited by Bill in NJ; 07-19-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill in NJ View Post
            What is the safest way to remove a stuck distributor without damage ? I have a manifold on the car with the heater element on top. I am soaking it with kroil spray. As always thanks in advance for any any advise.

MORE IMPORTANT IS TO THANKS MITCH FOR HIS SITE !! THANKS MITCH YOUR THE MAN !! LETS GET MORE PEOPLE SIGNED UP !

Thanks Bill i am doing my best and will be at the MARC meet spreading the gospel. Overall every passing day to every passing week is an improvement over the previous, so ya can't ask for much more than that
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I once removed a stuck distributor by spraying the shaft with Kroil, waiting an hour or so, then using 2 small pry bars, I carefully pried up equally on both sides, and it finally came out. I know they can easily be broken, so I made a removal tool similar to what the parts houses sell. Using the tool is the only safe way to remove a stuck distributor.

Comment

Tom. would a slide hammer work for this with the correct thread?

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                  Tom. would a slide hammer work for this with the correct thread?
                  Yes, and in fact that was my first thought to make.
                  I could simply weld the distributor screw to a nut that fits the end of my slide hammer.
                  Just have to be sure to have the slide hammer exactly lined up, and I'd start with gentle slides.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was thinking the wack of the slide hammer could snap the base versus a gentle tightening of the puller bolt.
                    But maybe i'm just over thinking it

• tbirdtbird
                    tbirdtbird commented
                    Editing a comment
                    love taps!

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Yes, and in fact that was my first thought to make.
                  I could simply weld the distributor screw to a nut that fits the end of my slide hammer.
                  Just have to be sure to have the slide hammer exactly lined up, and I'd start with gentle slides.
                  Tom,
                  I have a BASIC slide hammer & over the years I have made a bunch of attachments, that just screw onto it! They're handy for SO MANY things!
                  Bro Bill W.

Comment

By the way, isn't it NICE to have an ON SITE Administrator, to help keep us straight, offer GREAT Advice & NOT just "HIDING" like a POLEEZE Man--LOL
                    Mitchs' KDad

Comment

Slide hammers are very handy for many things. I even welded a nut to the handle on an older Vice Grips so I can clamp on and pull things.

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Tom i also made one of those

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
                      Slide hammers are very handy for many things. I even welded a nut to the handle on an older Vice Grips so I can clamp on and pull things.
                      Tom,
                      Thanks for the idea, I've probably got 17 pairs of VICE GRIPS or is it VISE GRIPS???---On REAL VICES, I have only 2 & they BOTH smell GOOD!
                      See how EASY it is to make Slide Hammer Attachments!!
                      I have 1 with a metal screw, I could have pulled out Mitchs' DENT, for only $30.00---
                      Dad Knockknock

Comment

Speaking of slide hammers, it's quick and easy to make your own by using a length of all thread rod with large fender washers and nuts, and the wrist pin from a diesel engine, or a cast iron spacer from a farm disc.

Comment

So I have been dreading to take the distributor out. I have been putting oil on it but with heat over 90 degrees it is just hot for me. Mom likes the heat to be only 80 degrees in the house ! Went out today and within fifteen minutes it was out in one piece. I think I was lucky !!

Comment

• Mitch
                            Mitch commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thats great Bill

• DaWizard
                            DaWizard commented
                            Editing a comment
                            See, told ya it was easy peasy, just a little patience.

• Big hammer
                            Big hammer commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Your not lucky your good :-)

I bought one of Bill Stipes' distributor puller that has successfully removed quite a few stuck distributors. Some took soaking with penetrating oil as well.
                          Alaskan A's
                          Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                          Model A Ford Club of America
                          Model A Restorers Club
                          Antique Automobile Club of America
                          Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Sometimes the hardest part of a job mentally is starting it

Comment