Gas tank blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank blues...

So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due to liability? I'm in a holding pattern.

This is a 28-29 correct? This has welds but better shape. How hard would it be to grind these smooth? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1928-1929-Fo...38.m2548.l4275

Comment

Put a fuel cell in the bed with an electric pump, until you find a good tank.
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        HAHAHA....pissed enough money.

Does the eBay tank look to be fixed smooth?

Comment

Hey Beauford, take some pictures of the one you have and post them up here. There are radiator folk who also work on gas tanks, so it may not be beyond repair.

Gota have them pics!!
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Sorry there are always people scamming good people keep up the search I am shure you will find what you are looking for

Comment

People always sell the JUNK & keep the GOOD stuff!!!----Then they DIE!!!
          Bill Shysteredonce

Comment

I can feel your pain on finding a good gas tank. Have 3 tanks here and all are rough.

Tank 1) has the right firewall date and externally looks great, but has 20+ pin holes in the bottom.

Tank 2) from a fordor has wrong firewall date, and a rust hole on top where the felt pad was around the filler neck. I soldered the hole shut and used a light coat of filler, going to seal the tank with the POR-15 sealer and see if the hole stays sealed. The month is January and really need an April date on the firewall. Hoping I can change the 1 to a 4 and make it look right. Filling the holes on the top of the firewall where it was screwed to the cowl top should not be too hard.

Tank 3) has no firewall and one penny sized hole in the bottom. Also the forward 2 inches of the ignition wire tunnel was cut off. All problems are fixable and may use the firewall from tank 1 if I do fix it.

No free lunch when it comes to tanks. But all problems are solvable, if you have the skill and desire to solve them. Rod

Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Ok...heres what I got...

Comment

So what would be considered a reasonable price for very nice tanks? So many people seem to have trouble locating a good one, no repros will likely ever be available, yet apparent good ones for sale and on auction sites really don't seem to a command very high prices.

Comment

• Beauford
                  Beauford commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd pay up to 400$ most 250-350 range

What year and month tank are you looking for?

I've passed on buying some nice ones, that now I think I should have bought for trading stock.

Comment

'29....don't care about month.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    did you call model A acres?

On the list tomorrow Mitch!!!

Comment

I sent Steve a email but figured he probably was a long shot due to liability but we will see.

Comment

I bought this crap tank from a guy off FB who owns a speed shop. Talked to him on phone and he was like...very good condition. He lives in your state Mitch. Go bitch slap him for me please.

Comment

If anyone has a junk tank with a good mid March- mid April of 29 date on it, I would be interested in the firewall. Rod
                        Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

• Beauford
                          Beauford commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I can't read the badge on this one but it's a 29....

I can't use it...

Comment

Just went out and looked and the date of the tank(the one with 20+ pin holes in it) that came with my numbers matching (April) chassis is 3-11-29. Since it has the tea cup tail light two-light headlights that would be about as early of a date as I would want. Rod

Comment

All of us have had similar sad experiences ..... but, please, let us all join in rejoicing as Model A owners, after realizing that we are all breathing, and are all above ground here today and all hoping for a better tomorrow and let us pray.

But ............. if it makes you feel better ............ just let him know you are monitoring the obituary notices in his hometown area .......... and if he makes the obituary list, you will make a visit in your Model A to generously pee all over his grave ...... he really won't care ..... but at least you may experience some gratifying relief!

Comment

I bought an early-mid 1931 gas tank from Bert's several years ago. Steve said it was in very good condition and he was correct. It was well packaged and arrived undamaged. I put in 5 gallons of evaporust and rotated the tank every few days while I sanded and prepped the exterior. It painted up well.

Comment

We need to invent a bladder for these tanks. Even if it only held 5 gallons i think it would be a big seller
                                3 ~ Tudor's
                                Henry Ford said
                                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                                  BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Strange you should mention that, Mitch. I was just thinking about that, AGAIN!---BUT, we're FOILED by the baffles!!!
                                  Dad

• Mitch
                                  Mitch commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  POP
                                  i was thinking about something that went between the baffles

Thanks for the info guys! Steve hasnt returned my email so I'll call him tomorrow. Good to know he will sell tanks.

Comment

re:bladder
                                  I would think with the internal baffles in order to insert a bladder you're going to have to open the tank up. Might as well just repair what you've got after its opened up. JMO
                                  Paul in CT

Comment

Does it look like the shut off valve was cut off in the pic or was there a threaded female brass plug that came when tank was made? Do I remove this or not....gonna try to save some money...bondo time!

Comment

• Mitch
                                      Mitch commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      It looks like the brass valve is broken off. A large easy out or a square chisel tapped into the center should easily remiove it. I doubt it is in there real tight

• Beauford
                                      Beauford commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Excellent! Thanks Mitch...as usual. I have to work all weekend but Monday and Tuesday I plan on rehabbing this thing. I will post pics.

• DaWizard
                                      DaWizard commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      hey Beauford, I don't know how humid it is where you live, but with that freshly naked metal, you might want to keep it in a cool dry place to keep the surface rust from appearing.

• Beauford
                                      Beauford commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      It's 90% humidity now...I put some rust inhibitor on it.

*****, yes I will use JB Weld steel stick on questionable areas....

Originally posted by Beauford View Post
                                    Does it look like the shut off valve was cut off in the pic or was there a threaded female brass plug that came when tank was made? Do I remove this or not....gonna try to save some money...bondo time!

Looks to me that the valve has been cut off (valve originally screwed directly into tank). What's left is likely in there pretty tight and needs to come out.

Comment