31 Vacuum line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 Vacuum line

The vacuum line that originally cam with my Model A is plugged solid.
    Any ideas how I can get this tube unplugged?
    Would it be better to try to manufacture/bend a new vacuum line?

Thanks,
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.

I believe you could run an old speedo cable in and clean some of it at least. I would try hanging it up from a wire and drip your favorite penetrating oil down into the tube. I don't remember the inside diameter of that tube, so it might be a coat hanger straightened out to do the trick, but I would at least soak it first, it may be something simple. You might also use a piece of bailing wire.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

John you might find that the restriction is at one of the 90 deg bends. Spray some PB buster in it using the straw and then use some compressed air with a rubber tipped air blower. Don't point the other end at anyone you like when blowing the air.
      And what Wiz said
      3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
      Henry Ford said,
      "It's all nuts and bolts"
      "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

About 1980 I bought a 1952 Studebaker Champion with a plugged fuel line. I made an adaptor to fit the end of the steel line up front, then hooked up my grease gun, and still couldn't get it to open up. The grease gun can pump over 2000 PSI.

Comment

Or try PB and a small diameter wire from each end. If you can get the PB to come out the other end then that's a start.

Put a little heat at the 90 deg bends. That may help to loosen things up
          3~ Tudor's & 1~ Coupe
          Henry Ford said,
          "It's all nuts and bolts"
          "Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

New vacuum line: http://www.mikes-afordable.com/product/A17543A.html

Comment

Thank you for this information. Upon further review of this part, The description state, Steel vacuum line with brass fitting that goes from the intake manifold up to the firewall. With this description, this is not the complete line required for the 31 SW. This only goes to the firewall, not up and beyond.

Thanks,

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• JohnB15632
                What do I have here?
                by JohnB15632
                Is this small tube actually an inside vacuum tube that runs from the firewall to the vacuum windshield wiper motor?
                Is the fitting on the end of the tube the same fitting that goes through the firewall?

How exactly is this tube installing inside the body?

Thanks,...
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                11-24-2019, 03:17 PM
              • Dick Carne
                Cabriolet vacuum line installation -
                by Dick Carne
                Its been a while since I disassembled the vacuum line on our old 68-C before starting its restoration. Forgetful as I am, I'm now wondering how everything went back together. I've purchased a new rubber hose vacuum line that I'm thinking ran under the windshield on the underside of the upper garnish molding, but when I get to the side/door post garnish molding, I seem to suffer an absolute loss...
                06-09-2021, 01:16 PM
              • JohnB15632
                31 SW Vacuum Line Installation
                by JohnB15632
                Can any one give me help in how to install the vacuum line? What parts then hide the line from view?

Thanks,...
                This gallery has 1 photos.
                06-16-2018, 07:10 PM
              • gmcole
                Vacuum Line Error
                by gmcole
                I took my carb off to work on it and the vacuum line which goes from the back of distributor into carb messed up. Basically I pulled the nut off the line and now I cannot get it back onto the line. Is this a prefabbed part or is there an easy fix I am not seeing?...
                09-01-2019, 07:42 PM
              • Poor Boy
                Portable vacuum source
                by Poor Boy
                Good evening. I have been cleaning up and trying to sort out some wiper motors for my 31 coupe, with limited success. What I find a real nuisance is trying to test them with a vacuum source other than a running car in a closed garage in freezing weather. Has anyone found/built/designed a portable vacuum source that one could take off the shelf and use on the work bench to test these wiper motors....
                03-26-2019, 09:52 PM
              • Mitch
                Vacuum leak or lean mixture Detection
                by Mitch
                Another easy method to try is if you have a vacuum wiper, just remove the hose off of it. Then spray a shot of carb cleaner in using a straw to see if it picks up the engine.
                11-30-2017, 12:34 PM
              • carolinamudwalker
                Fuel lines and vapor lock
                by carolinamudwalker
                Did not want to highjack the other post but was wondering if anyone has done a side by side test of a rubber and steel line for heat absorption? I would think equal lengths of line with maybe a meat thermometer in one end and even heat applied to the exterior....
                04-06-2021, 08:53 AM
              • Allletters
                Fuel line question
                by Allletters
                Good afternoon, I recently bought a new outside fuel line for the 1930 CC pickup I am building, now this may be a dumb question but do the ends need to be flared? I don't have an original to compare it to and all of the pictures I can find online are of new ones with no flare. I am having a small leak issue coming through the fitting in the sediment bowl. Any help is appreciated, Thank you.
                04-05-2021, 01:27 PM
              • wrndln
                Clean inside of torque tube
                by wrndln
                I need to clean the inside of a rear-end torque tube in the future. I did one some years ago and it was a long and painful experience - using a toilet brush with a kludged on long handle. It would be easier if I could just soak the tube in some liquid and save a lot of elbow grease. I have a PVC 6" pipe (with a cap on one end) that is slightly over half of the length of the torque tube....
                12-28-2019, 01:22 PM
              • old victoria
                line bore
                by old victoria
                Any one using the line bore fixture made by gene French ?
                01-05-2020, 10:45 AM
              Working...
              X