Model AA Doodle Bug tractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model AA Doodle Bug tractor

Doodle bug154.jpg After I retired we built a new house in northern Mich. It had 15 acres of grass to mow. In the winter there was lots of snow to plow. So I built a doodle bug out of a model A truck frame. It had 2 four speed truck transmissions, power take off to run the bush hog. It had live hydraulic for the snow plow and 3 point hitch. It also had Ford tractor tires on the rear and a governor. I do not have real good pictures, but will show you what I have. Doodle Bug155.jpg
    Last edited by George Miller; 07-18-2017, 11:51 AM.

Image.jpg

Comment

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      It also has a brake pedal for each rear wheel like a tractor. That way you can turn real short.

I like that, and that would make moving snow fun. I sure could have used something like that back in the 80's. Now I have an Original Cub Cadet to move snow and haul things, and it does an amazing job pushing snow. For only 7 HP it doesn't even bog down, it just looses traction when the snow gets too deep. Last year I sanded and painted the blade, and that sure made a world of difference in how nicely it shed the snow.

Cub Cadet Original.JPG

Comment

I like it, and that would make moving snow fun.

Comment

This is the one I rescued from a pasture and got running and used for 20 years. 4 speed with a dual high behind it. Wheels off a WW2 truck, welded to the Ford center sections. I bought it from the guy who's father built it. They used a truck chassis and the cowl from a phaeton.
        Bill
        http://www.brauchauto.com/
        Eastern Connecticut

Comment

This one was part of a saw mill. The guy had a saw mounted on frame. No cab, and the numbers did not match. So it was a good candid for the tractor. It sure worked good for both jobs. The governor was off a 8n Ford tractor along with the wheels.

Comment

This tractor had two 4 speed truck transmission in it. Would it go froward or reverse when you put both transmissions in reverse?
            Ok Bill ask your dog. He should know.

Comment

George, I like the tractor, but looking at the picture of the worm drive rear end, isn't the U joint working at a sharp angle?

Comment

• George Miller
                George Miller commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it is a little to sharp. But it never was a problem. I wanted to keep the rear of the tractor at the right hight for a 3 point hitch. With the tall tires thats is what I had. Maybe I should have put the rear end upside down. The only problem I ever had with it was the timing gear lost some teeth one day. replaced it and went back to mowing grass the same day. Tom you have a good eye for details.

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                George he sure does have a good eye. amazing

I couldn't see George's pictures
              Alaskan A's
              Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
              Model A Ford Club of America
              Model A Restorers Club
              Antique Automobile Club of America
              Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• George Miller
                Model AA Doodle Bug tractor in the snow
                by George Miller
                12-05-2017, 02:58 PM
              • pooch
                Not one for trophies
                by pooch
                I am not fussed on trophies, I threw last year's one away.

It was Entrant's choice and a huge gaudy plastic gracelands type thing.

But this year, I won this, I figure I will keep this one, as I may fit a cup into it and use it as a beer mug...

10-06-2018, 04:36 PM
              • Larry Jenkins
                Brace & Larry's, 1930 CCPU Build Thread
                by Larry Jenkins
                From a basket case to a jewel..

Part 1

This is a pictorial journey through a 1930 CCPU restoration by me and the next owner. I had to sell it partially completed because of my wife's health issues. It was bought by a gentleman in Missouri who is now in the final stages of the restoration. Brace's VFF Name is "Pickemup."

The pictorial demonstration...
                02-15-2018, 10:59 PM
              • Mitch
                "Lucy" 30 Tudor Build / Diary
                by Mitch
                AER long block, 5.5 head, 3:54 gears, Bergs rad, and a Tom W genny

05-29-2017, 09:50 PM
              • tbirdtbird
                A few Yellowstone and Glacier Natl Park photos
                by tbirdtbird
                60 Dallas club people and 15 Model As just got back from the parks after a 10 day tour.
                The buses are 1937 Whites. The yellow ones are in Yellowstone, the red ones in Glacier. There were over 100 yellow ones in the beginning. After decades, they were falling into disrepair. Ford re-framed and re-powered them, and left the coaches alone for that vintage look. They bear both the White emblem and...
                08-16-2017, 04:45 PM
              • pooch
                Slim pickings
                by pooch
                Not much early ford stuff at Cessnock swap last weekend.

A reasonably good (for over here) T tudor body for $2200 AUD.

Just a few Model A wheels and various small bits, nothing too exciting.

Was an older restored 53 chev 4 door sedan on full rego for $13K, if you like that brand. if it was a 53 Ford in the same conditon, they would have been asking $50K.
                08-13-2018, 05:12 PM
              • pooch
                My first rod, a 28 roadster.
                by pooch
                I started with this. more to come...

I only wanted the cowl, as I was going to build extended doors, but the door hinge screws were rusted on so I gave the guy another $100 , and I was glad I did when I got around to building it.

Scored an already boxed A chassis and a few more bits

HR holden independent front end with discs.

08-29-2018, 06:01 PM
              • George Miller
                Model A Hillbilly car
                by George Miller
                Here is a hillbilly car that I made to take to Charlotte Auto Fare a few years back. ...
                07-17-2017, 04:57 PM
              • tbirdtbird
                WIRING DIAGRAMS, Electrical system
                by tbirdtbird
                Here is the same info presented in 3 different ways:

Notice:::::: The two wiring diagrams below are pre NOV 29. All cars should be wired as shown above in the first diagram
                SEE POST #5 BELOW!!!

06-27-2017, 12:46 PM
              • pooch
                Some pics from the swap yesterday
                by pooch
                Ford swap at Eastern Creek on july 28.

34 cabriolet from Argentina.

37 sedan.

1920 T truck.

In the car park was this older build T bucket, 48 ? Sedan, 48 ? convertible.

Was a bit of speed gear there, and a complete lincoln V 12 motor in bits.
                07-28-2018, 05:44 PM
              Working...
              X