Most Agravating Thing to Work on On the Model A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Agravating Thing to Work on On the Model A

Hey Guys I know i dont have the experience or knowledge that you guys have, but man i will say that i think the Model A light switch has been the worst to work on. After messing with the dam thing for 4hrs (im not a quitter) i finally gave up and called Berts. Steve took about 5 minutes to straighten me out and get me on the right road, i felt like a complete bone head.

In trying to install the switch and finish my complete wiring install, the light switch upper housing would not go in far enough to catch the indent to keep the switch from rotating when the inside switch was moved. After measuring the top light switch housing (the part that slides into the collar on the bottom of the steering box) on the new and old light switch it was painfully obvious something was not right. After four hours of frustration and a severe backache and one phone call, it turns out in the A's prior restoration (in the 70's) they used the wrong rod and ended up cutting the collar and the top light switch housing to make things work. i just wish that people that have these vehicles would do stuff the right way instead of cutting corners. This poor Model A is nothing BUT stuff done half assed.

So the most Agravating thing to work on for me has been the light switch.....so far LOL. Im sure you guys are laughing, and thinking i haven't seen anything yet!!!!!
    Last edited by Chevmn56; 05-24-2018, 12:00 PM.

ya you can run into a lot of messes when you work after some one else. But the light switch is not the easiest thing to work on, especially with repo parts.

Comment

Chuckle.... It does get better! Jeff
      Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

• Chevmn56
        Chevmn56 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am sure it does!!!! probably doesnt help that im a bit OCD as well.....it has to be done just right. I had a brother inlaw come help me on my Belair once and i was fit to be tied he was just throwing his side together...mine i had to have it just so....in my thinking the other side should match my side....right????? i think i spent more time watching over his shoulder LOL i prefer to do my own work unless its out of my capability.

Originally posted by George Miller View Post
      ya you can run into a lot of messes when you work after some one else. But the light switch is not the easiest thing to work on, especially with repo parts.
      I hear ya....filing on the round block trying to get the frickin switch to turn, reaming the holes out so the switch can move........But i will say i can get the c clip for the spider on and of pretty dang quick now.
      Last edited by Chevmn56; 05-24-2018, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Watch out for this as well
        https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...0590#post80590

With good correct parts the light switch is very easy to work with. The problem is getting good correct parts

Trying to form a straight aftermarket rear top moulding on my Tudor is impossible. I ended up finding a good original instead. As simple as these cars are, there are certain things that can really fight you. Dealing with a farmers fix just compounds that
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Chevmn56
          Chevmn56 commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly Mitch my thoughts exactly....it seems everything you do has to be done in a certain order or it will not go back together. Not sure how many times i have put something together and think that i was almost done, and find out i have to take it back apart to get a certain piece in because it will not go together

I would rather work on a light switch than pull a transmission out.
        Bill
        http://www.brauchauto.com/
        Eastern Connecticut

Comment

well it was only yesterday that my Model A kicked my Ass again.... going to do oil change and final summer prep when ... the base pan bung decided to spin in pan ... now your not pissed are ya... so remove pan still full of oil ... cant get any gaskets for a week ..

Comment

• Chevmn56
            Chevmn56 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that would really piss ya off, could you grab the bung with some. Small. Skinny vise grips....... If not. That would be a oily mess!!!!

• canadian
            canadian commented
            Editing a comment
            hey 56 , I actually took a chance and hit the tiny piece of exposed bung with Mig welder, only one tiny spot and it held to get plug out. drained oil and then spotted bung in a couple of more spots. a little filling and some JB weld to make it look smooth .... first job for winter of 2019 already on clip board.

• Chevmn56
            Chevmn56 commented
            Editing a comment
            I hear ya my list for next year keeps growing while the switch job sits..... Should have all part tonigbt to get it done!

Originally posted by 2manycars View Post
          I would rather work on a light switch than pull a transmission out.
          Yes haven't had that pleasure yet. Tranny still shifts fine and the clutch is ok........but in reading the whole rear axle and torque tube has to slide backwards to do the tranny?????? i was going to do my brakes but in reading some threads here i cant beat the price and convenience of having Randy Gross do them!!!!

Comment

INFERIOR work by previous owners can really screw you up!!! If my Doctor wuz a MECHANIC, I sure wouldn't let Her wurk on my CAR!
            NOW, She's tryin' to POISON me, with some SCAREY ASS PILLS!!!---She's an "INTERNAL MEDICINE DOCTOR" & LOVES to EXPERIMENT on me----"Maybe" she's into VOODOO, too???
            Dad Cautious

Comment

• JDupuis
              JDupuis commented
              Editing a comment
              “SCAREY ASS PILLS”
              Don't put them up there Bill, I think you swallow them with water.

• 2manycars
              2manycars commented
              Editing a comment
              That is why they call it "practicing medicine"!!!

• Chevmn56
              Chevmn56 commented
              Editing a comment
              LMAO..........

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Bill, the definition of a Doctor is, "A person who can keep the patient calm long enough for Mother Nature to do her work".

My biggest frustration is not being near a source for Quality parts. It usually takes almost a week to get a part, and this really cuts into my shortening attention span and desire for instant gratification.

I think Model A's and the internet have spoiled me though. I used to have all kinds of oddball cars/trucks, and they usually took much longer to get parts for.

Comment

• cpf240
              cpf240 commented
              Editing a comment
              Isn't CW Moss right there in Orange County?

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes it is, and they are slowly stocking better and better parts, but you still need to know exactly what you need, as some of it is still from Vintiques.

• Ayyy
              Ayyy commented
              Editing a comment
              CW Moss is not Quality. I've been there about five times in three years and I was satisfied only once. The last three times I went there they put Vintique on the counter. I wanted Moss to succeed, I really did, but they just suck and I wont go there anymore.

For me it’s working on the distributor, just to remove it I have to remove the manifolds :-( I have an ottwell heater that is a flat top, no way to loosen the distributor holding screw. So working on the distributor bending over trying no to remove the distributor is a pain in my back :-)

Comment

• Chevmn56
              Chevmn56 commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree you wait a week for parts..... You get all excited to "get it done and done right" and I'll be damned I forgot to order something else or something else creeps up and needs parts.
              Last edited by Chevmn56; 05-24-2018, 11:04 PM.

On BOTH my cars, the WORST thing wuz gettin' WELDED Heads off!!!! +*#^&%$+=*%%----About 12 HOURS, each!-----NOT LOL-----Needed this or DYNAMITE!!
            Guys that say, "Just pop it off"!--Are full of---Wanna' buy my removal WEDGES, for a cool $100.00?
            Dad Stuckagain
            Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 05-24-2018, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Chevmn56
              Chevmn56 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm a green horn Bill........ Welded head? Sounds like this is something I want to avoid!

I would vote for the rear emergency brake lever springs being satan’s spawn.

Comment

• TOBKOB
              TOBKOB commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with that.

TOB

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              Brent could you post a pic of your tool.

• WMWS
              WMWS commented
              Editing a comment
              I use a string to pull on the spring. Very easy.

• Bill G
              Bill G commented
              Editing a comment
              I vote for this one too! The other thing is getting repop parts to fit. It seems that the Chinese have a warped sense of humor when it comes to making parts that look so perfect until you try to put it in. Grrr

Originally posted by canadian View Post
            so remove pan still full of oil
            I have one of these evac pumps. It comes with different diameters of hard plastic hoses to fit down the dip stick tubes. On many newer cars this is how you get the oil out (mostly Euros). This would work good for your situation. I don't think it would fish past the fill tube baffles, but maybe the tube will come out easy.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 1 photos.
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Ray Horton
              Ray Horton commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, he might be able to remove the filler tube. That would give him a larger hole and some options for removal. But he still has to get around the dipper tray.

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Correct Ray, With the bigger hole it would be easy to fish the tube into the dip stick hole in the tray. Going right down the dipstick hole would work but I don't have the tubes at home to see if they would fit.

One has to remember it wasn’t so easy getting correct information back in the day, no rg&js, no forums correct or incorrect, not as easy to find answers close to home.

I myself did the the exact same thing to my roadster steering column light switch bracket because wrong column/switch rod issue some 38 years ago. No one had a reason why and it was and has remained a suitable fix to this day, not a farmer fix, but needed lights and it worked well. Have for years had the correct parts to put back original, but why fix what was no longer broke!

Hell, finding repairing and fixing helps keep you on your toes.

Happy Aing!!

Comment

• Chevmn56
              Chevmn56 commented
              Editing a comment
              It sure keeps me on my toes and my vocabulary seems to be getting g better as well!! Lol

Im trying to think the worst thing ive had to do so far - rebuilding the AA worm drive sure wasnt fun. So much cleaning of gunk and putting new seals in and magic balance of everything and sliding the halves together wasnt super fun times.

I know what the worst thing will be: body work and sanding and all that crap. I can do mechanical stuff but body work and paint i am not...

Comment

I know what the worst thing will be: body work and sanding and all that crap. I can do mechanical stuff but body work and paint i am not...[/QUOTE]

Yeah scares the shit out of me as well!

Comment

Your predicament is why my blood boils when people do half-assed farmer fixes. If you have no desire to do it right, even if that means modifying repops, then you really should sell the car to someone who will care about it a lot more than you. It is not just an old car, it is a rolling piece of American history

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Many of these farmer fixes were done many years ago when folks were struggling

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
                Your predicament is why my blood boils when people do half-assed farmer fixes. If you have no desire to do it right, even if that means modifying repops, then you really should sell the car to someone who will care about it a lot more than you. It is not just an old car, it is a rolling piece of American history
                I wouldn't quote this but i cant do emojis in a comment...

Comment

Most Aggravating Thing to Work on On the Model A?

The most PIA Model A thing I can think of to work on would be any type of damage caused by mice, rats, and moths ..... but .... maybe not in that order.

Comment

• SeaSlugs
                  SeaSlugs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Easy solution to that is to insert a snake into the car. Id so rather have a snake than a dang mouse pissin everywhere. snake would prolly curl up on the passenger floor board for muffler warmth.

Originally posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C
                The thought that came to my mind after reading many of the comments above is; "Experience is something you get after you need it!"

A lot of these tasks are much easier after you have done them several times. I guess for me though, the most difficult thing to do on a Model-A is put the smoke back inside of a Model-A generator when it escapes, because invariably a generator does not work any longer after the smoke exits the insides.
                Just gotta get one of these devices and you can fix your generators in a jiffy. Make sure you spin the generator the right way so it sucks the smoke back in correctly. You dont wanna accidentally make it a negative ground generator!
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• Chevmn56
                  Chevmn56 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ........wish it was that easy.

I have too many to list....I was clueless with the BIGGEST POS one could imagine. I've done things more than a few times to get them right. Yes, I would say I know a whole lot more and also easier ways to do stuff.

Comment

Gotta love VFF! Great thread!! I thought I was the only one who did things twice just to get them right, was frustrated that it takes 3 weeks to get parts, forgets to order ALL the parts needed, and complains about the last guy who owned the car because he thought that Tremclad paint or more grease was the cure all for every ailment on the car!

Comment

• Chevmn56
                    Chevmn56 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hank you hit the nail right on the head........another that pisses me off is the over use use of permatex.....i have learned to hate the color orange, i use it (black) but just enough to do what i am trying to achieve i swear the person before me had stock in Permatex.