Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

I've noticed that on some tractor sites people have started using garden tractor batteries on smaller tractors, like 8Ns and such. The thought is that with as much as 340 cca available in these smaller batteries, and their cheaper prices, (about 1/3 that of a typical 12v battery), they are ok for something that is used very little, sits around a lot, and doesn't probably last for too long anyway.

I installed one in my Allis G, and also in my 8N tractors, and they seem to work just fine there. I would never advocate using one in a model A that is driven regularly, but perhaps for something you rarely start, or something that pretty much stays at home, perhaps they would be ok there.

Just an idea, what do you think?
    CB the Wonderful

There is more to consider than CCA. A series of small flashlight batteries could be wired so that they will give a large amperage delivery, but they wont do it for very long.

The larger the battery, the larger the capacity, the longer you can use it. Call me old fashioned, but I've always held the belief that for engines, batteries and speakers, 'there is no replacement for displacement'.

Comment

I prefer to oversize the battery, rather than undersize it.
      My first choice is to check on Craigslist for batteries, as I've bought new batteries (less than 60 days old) for $25.
      Next choice is junk yards, but check the date code on the battery.

Comment

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        Many moons ago, I had a 25ft travel trailer that I wanted to put a battery in. I wound up getting an 8D battery that was going to be discarded by the shipyard that I was working for at the time. That big ol' battery lasted me quite a few years, and was still there when I sold the trailer years later. For those that don't know what an 8D battery is, it's about twice the size of the largest 12V truck battery you've ever seen, and weighs a ton. Lots of capacity!

Just pulled a 6v battery out of an old tractor, and it seemed a bit light to me, so I weighed it. 26 lbs, for BiMart's "Heavy Duty" 6v tractor battery. I happened to have a Wall Mart $21.99 Lawn Tractor battery sitting close by (thier cheapest one), so I weighed it as well. 24 lbs, for that one. Not really much difference, and this was an expensive 6v compared to a super cheapie lawn battery.

I've always been told that the weight of a battery was very indicitive of its plate size and capabilities. This surprised me!
      CB the Wonderful

Comment

Originally posted by Corley View Post
        Just pulled a 6v battery out of an old tractor, and it seemed a bit light to me, so I weighed it. 26 lbs, for BiMart's "Heavy Duty" 6v tractor battery. I happened to have a Wall Mart $21.99 Lawn Tractor battery sitting close by (thier cheapest one), so I weighed it as well. 24 lbs, for that one. Not really much difference, and this was an expensive 6v compared to a super cheapie lawn battery.

I've always been told that the weight of a battery was very indicitive of its plate size and capabilities. This surprised me!
        Yep, a couple years ago my Panasonic junk yard lawn tractor battery finally quit. The cheap replacement felt like about half the weight.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Great Lakes Greg
          Out of car battery maintainer question
          by Great Lakes Greg
          If I have six good batteries on a shelf, can I put one battery maintainer on them by running jumpers across all of the positive and all of the negative posts to the maintainer?
          02-11-2019, 09:59 AM
        • plyfor
          New Battery Suggestions needed
          by plyfor
          We've been using Optima batteries with good success in 12 volt applications with 1 wire alternators. We tried a 6 volt Optima and haven't had much success with holding a prolonged charge. Our (commercial) battery vendor won't recommend a maintainer (such as the Battery Tender Junior, etc.) for the 6 volt application unless it's a wet cell battery. Any thoughts and / or what are folks using for batteries...
          05-05-2018, 05:08 PM
        • Jm29henry
          Model a ford script battery
          by Jm29henry
          I have been waiting for month for my new model a script battery ,the interesting part is that it came already charged and is maintenance free .The old type model a script battery is 7 years old and probably ok but being so old I,didn't want to take a chance . Has anyone tried one of these new type batteries
          06-01-2017, 06:57 PM
        • Leo
          Battery Charger & Desulfator?
          by Leo
          I'm a Battery Tender guy, had one for years and it still does the charging job well. I've read about these desulfator battery chargers which say they can do a better job of prolonging battery life. What say you?
          01-16-2019, 09:37 AM
        • Leo
          Requiem For a Battery
          by Leo
          So I've got this 6 Volt battery for maybe 4 years and in the winter I charge it with a Battery Tender about once a month, last time was in January. I've also got a good quality kill switch so there cannot be any parasitic drain. Battery is stone dead in about 5 weeks, can't even light the cowl lights. It will probably take another charge but will not hold it for long. Time for another replace...
          02-13-2020, 08:07 AM
        • Captndan
          6V batteries
          by Captndan
          I’ve really had it with 6 v batteries. One year and their junk. Now with the Tudor having a short and needing a battery I’m leaning towards 12V. Battery and conversion about the same $ as a 6v battery. Comments welcome.
          09-12-2019, 11:13 AM
        • Tom Wesenberg
          Any Hope for Sulfated Batteries?
          by Tom Wesenberg
          Some of the newer battery chargers have a feature to rejuvenate sulfated batteries.

I'm wondering if it's worth trying one.

Does anyone here own one, how well does it work, what brand is it, and how much did it cost? Thanks
          09-29-2017, 10:00 PM
        • Neil Wilson
          Replacement Battery and Hold-down
          by Neil Wilson
          What is the current suggestions for 6 volt replacement battery? Will vendor sold battery hold-down work? It's been years since I have investigated this subject.
          05-13-2019, 09:23 AM
        • plyfor
          Non Stock Battery Box ( for a driver, etc.)
          by plyfor
          Speedway sells a drop down battery box as per the attached photo. Has anyone tried one of these? They appear to fit a group 1 or many other sizes. The bracket mounting holes are 9" o.c horiz. x 4+" high and perhaps could be secured to the cross member or frame , etc. with some mod's. The photo shows the drop down position though we haven't yet investigated clearance issues, if any.....
          07-30-2018, 11:43 PM
        • Turbostart
          New Fine Point Authentic batteries
          by Turbostart
          Hello all ,

My name is Marcus and I am the marketing manager for Turbostart Batteries . We are in the process of coming out with the Model A Battery and some of the other ford ones. So when we bought Turbostart they gave us some stuff. My problem finding out exactly what the battery needs and should look like . So if any one can reach out to me on here or at the shop . I'm looking for...
          02-22-2019, 03:10 PM
        Working...
        X