cutting open a 31 gas tank.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting open a 31 gas tank.

Couple weeks ago someone asked about cutting open a tank. I cut the back out of a tank about the same time. Cleaned out some loose stuff where someone tried to coat the inside many years ago. Got it fairly clean from the two holes in the back and sewed it back up. Mig welded then followed with solder to seal the mig pinholes. See thread in the other forun iffins you is curious.

The thread here on VFF gave me the incentive to try the second tank. i have two projects going at the same time - dumb me. I bought a 31 cowl complete with tank at the Pate Swap Meet three weeks ago. Took the tank out of the cowl, did some sheet metal patch panel work and today got up enuff courage to cut open the tank.

Scrapped the rust from the cut area and drew a scratch line where i wanted to cut. Cut about 1/8" inside of the welded seam. The long area were no problem. Getting around the corners was the hard part. But with a liddle percy verunce I managed to get it apart. Note: If I messed up I would not loose much. Last Monday and Tueaday I had spent several hours and several hundred gallons of water trying to get a rats nest out of the tank and not completely succedding.
    The picturers below show what was left still in the tank. Some of the cutting was done with an 3 inch electrikle cut off tool, some was done with a 3 inch air cut off tool.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 9 photos.

Wow, you guys back there got some strange critters livin in yer tanks!
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Parker View Post
    See thread in the other forun iffins you is curious.
    Ken,
    Many on here will not be able to see your other tank pictures because a good portion of us were ousted for posting correct information. Wouldn't Tig be the best way to go back together?
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Tig imo is the only way to go for best results.

• Ken Parker
      Ken Parker
      Ken Parker commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitch, thanks for the info about "the other post". My plans with tank are to power was it today, then sand blast the inside (and outside), then set it back together and MIG weld four spot welds to hold it into position, then transport it to a friend who is a TIG welder, then seal it on the inside. question? which sealer would youuse guys reccoommend -if any? ken

I can post the pictures of the back side repair in a new post. ken

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Ken that is a good move however I would ask Brent Terry's opinion since he has done these.

Ken here ya go regarding the sealer..
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...6544#post46544

As you see we already had some informative tank discussions with Brent’s input. I would take his info to the bank
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

had radiator shop do mine, by dipping in caustic bath, then he put kerosene in tank, sloshed it around, to keep it from rusting, until i fill with gas, when i'm ready to start it up.

Comment

Brent can you repost or text me those lost pics from a while ago of your cut open tanks.. I would like to attach them onto the appropriate tech posts.

Thanks
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

thanks Brent and Mitch. Every little bit of info helps. Been playing with these old cars for 50 years now and still larnin'.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ken Parker
          cutting into back side of gas tank
          Ken Parker
          by Ken Parker
          In a psot below is /are some photos and partial write up about cutting the top off a tank. This is my experience wth cutting holes into the back side of a tank. Looking thru the filler hole or the gauge hole I could see some of the sealer loose in the bottom of the tank and other parts peeling from the surface.. The sealer was put in by previous owner in 1988. My first cut was the center section....
          This gallery has 3 photos.
          05-20-2018, 09:06 AM
        • Supergnat
          28 Fordor Leatherback gas tank installation problem
          Supergnat
          by Supergnat
          I am attempting to install a replacement gas tnk in my Oct 28 Fordor Leatherback. I have the tank bolted to the cowl but am unable to fit the firewall piece that holds the sediment bulb and terminal box in place. The opening is about 1/4 inch too small. Does anyone have a suggestion to resolve this problem. I This panel was difficult to remove when I was trying to get the old tank out. I'm afrais...
          05-25-2017, 01:52 PM
        • Pklarkin
          Gas tank restoration - suggested welding service?
          Pklarkin
          by Pklarkin
          Hi all,

The restoration of my '29 continues, and I've turned to the gas tank. It appears to have a pretty serious leak at the top of the tank where the tank meets the fire wall segment. I'm not a welder... can anyone recommend a shop that i can ship the tank to, or to a DIY fix that doesn't require welding? Thanks for your suggestions.

Pat
          12-20-2020, 01:50 PM
        • BillLee/Chandler, TX
          After you get it clean .....
          BillLee/Chandler, TX
          by BillLee/Chandler, TX
          I am getting ready to replace a leaking gas tank in my Tudor, I have a very good one coming from Berts, but ..... I'm not totally sure what I should do now.

I have read Brent's thread over on the old barn regarding getting a tank clean, by cutting apart and then re-welding. But what do you do AFTER you get it clean? What do you do to keep it from turning back into a rusty tank?
          02-04-2018, 12:54 PM
        • CSPIDY
          Gas Tank Rust Removal
          CSPIDY
          by CSPIDY
          Finally got around to addressing the rust in the gas tank of my 28 Tudor.
          the plan is to remove it, fill it with 10 gallons of Evaporust, clean with Por-15 cleaner degreaser, then prep with the Por-15 metal prep, followed with Por-15 paint coating.
          what are your thoughts? I have heard good reports on the Por-15 paint but have some reservations using an internal coating.
          any advise...
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          01-18-2019, 01:52 PM
        • Jwmckenzie
          '31 Indented Firewall Gas Tank Repair
          Jwmckenzie
          by Jwmckenzie
          I am going in....... I have tried to clean out the inside of the tank over the past few months and although I have removed lots of debris. I am still getting remains of varmint nests when I wash, dry and vacuum.

On the other forum there is a thread with discussion of how to best open it up. Nice pics of cutting the back off a tank and discussion of cutting the top off. I am leaning toward...
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          05-12-2018, 09:47 AM
        • pAAt
          Gas tank welding
          pAAt
          by pAAt
          Getting ready to weld my tank up. It's been aired out for a few weeks and I did fill with water and rinsed out. It's been drying a few days and should be ok to weld. I drilled the spot welds off the Instrument cluster mounting bracket/wire harness (?? yellow arrow) and have a good one to tack on. I figured I'll dill some 1/4" holes to mig weld back on tank. Any thoughts on doing this and...
          06-28-2020, 07:59 AM
        • gdaquilina
          Gas Tank Baffles
          gdaquilina
          by gdaquilina
          Do the gas tank baffles ever come loose and bang around in the tank? I have a very sharp metallic sound when going over bumps that sounds as if it is coming from the gas tank. I have checked everything that is anywhere near the cowl for looseness and signs of metal on metal contact and have come up empty. Any ideas?
          08-05-2019, 06:06 PM
        • Beauford
          Gas tank blues...
          Beauford
          by Beauford
          So when I received a gas tank I purchased I really didn't give it a good once over since the deal was done and guy said it had no dents and was a really nice tank. Got it back from sand blaster....what a waste of money. Huge whammy in the top corner. Nasty welds on upper corners of dash. Looks like fuel valve was snapped or cut off so there is a mess there....nobody will work on a tank correct due...
          07-18-2017, 06:44 PM
        • Corley
          Gas tank sealer
          Corley
          by Corley
          When I built the 29 pickup, I used some Red Sealer on the gas tank. It came in a quart can, and when I dumped out the excess, I had almost a full quart left over. So, I saved it. Saw that can a few months back, shook it, and it was still liquid. So, I planned to use it on the new tank that I just welded a new filler spout in, just I case I had any pin hole leaks. It is a VW van tank, long and...
          12-09-2018, 09:56 PM
        Working...
        X