Rear end collisions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end collisions

On our way home from Brent's, 400 miles we stopped for lunch. A young waitress was admiring out sport coup and came over to ask "how fast do you drive it" I very proudly answered We drive 55mph. She wrinkled up her face and said "Oh you stay on the back roads then" Today we have people driving 80 mph and when they come up behind you their mind set is a closing rate of you doing a poky 65 to 70 mph. When it finely dawns on them that you are going 35 to 40 it is to late. I have caught myself driving and my mind wanders off to something else. I am in fact driving on autopilot. We are planning to go to Branson, that's 2500 miles round trip and you can not do it on back roads. The car will go faster but In my opinion you are out running your mechanical brakes. BTW Mike Morton is in our club

That's the problem these days, many are driving at speeds higher than their IQ, and doing it while on the phone or texting.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      People caught texting and driving should have their license taken away, driving a truck over the road for years I have seen some pretty stupid things.

Originally posted by carolinamudwalker View Post
    Branson, that's 2500 miles round trip
    Don't forget to take care of those rear hub seals that are dented and repack the bearings.
    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• carolinamudwalker
      carolinamudwalker commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitch, how did you know about that? I thought we got the wheels back on before anyone could see them. BTW, I handed out VFF cards at our last model A club meeting so you may notice some lurkers from NC. Got rid of the rest at our AACA annual show but that may not result in much.

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Right on Bob

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you get the seal driver tool?

7 eyes in his head..

Comment

• carolinamudwalker
      Editing a comment
      Mitch, both seals & driver are on order

Originally posted by carolinamudwalker View Post
    We are planning to go to Branson, that's 2500 miles round trip and you can not do it on back roads. The car will go faster but In my opinion you are out running your mechanical brakes.
    Bob, I guess I don't have the same map as you, but that is an EASY route to make driving the backroads. I would not hesitate in a moment to make that trip. I route several Model-T tours a year. PM me your start and finish address and I will make you a backroads map to see what you think.

BTW, on those backroads, I would drive 45-50 and purchase a removable amber beacon strobe light to attach to the rear of the vehicle. When you arrive in Branson, remove it and enjoy the meet. Re-install when you head for home.

Comment

• carolinamudwalker
      Editing a comment
      Brent, will do. On the removable beacon, I have 4 way led flashers but don't know if they would be legal.

Brent your mention of a amber strobe light for the rear of a car when driving is a great safety tip, I have taken plenty of back roads in a semi dodging scales but then I am reformed now so i never would think of doing that anymore. A friend of mine almost got killed last year in a t by someone looking at their phone instead of the road.

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe we should put a magnetic amber strobe on each fender. Buy a 4 pack

• BRENT in 10-uh-C
      BRENT in 10-uh-C commented
      Editing a comment
      Even with a strobe light, the driver of the slower vehicle needs to drive defensively where they keep a constant eye on the rear view mirror. I have had vehicles that seemed to be closing in on my rear too fast, and I have either moved to the shoulder or found a way to move at the last moment should the closing driver not be aware of me. The key is for you not to be surprised by them coming up quickly.

While we all have heard stories regarding drivers that are texting & driving, for the most part they are glancing at the road every few seconds or so. Having something that distracts their attention away from the phone long enough for them to notice you is really all that you can do. Driving at a speed such as 50 mph in a 55 is much better than 35 in a 55. Farm stores and implement dealers generally have LED strobes that are portable for when farmers are moving wagons & equipment. That is all you can really do is at least make the effort.

• carolinamudwalker
      Editing a comment
      Chief, I can remember when the truckers were the safest drivers on the road, but that was a long time ago. I have been rear ended by an 18 wheeler while driving a VW rabbit. He was passing and veered over into my lane debeaded my left rear wheel. I think he dosed off, after impact he backed off and I shot across his lane and into the median.

Originally posted by BNCHIEF View Post
    Brent your mention of a amber strobe light for the rear of a car when driving is a great safety tip, .
    Look at this and give me some thoughts........

https://www.amazon.com/XKTTSUEERCRR-.../dp/B00MGJ4LZS

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Plug into your cigarette lighter? However that would definitely be seen people drive worse now than they ever have.

• BRENT in 10-uh-C
      BRENT in 10-uh-C commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, pretty sure Bob's car had been converted to 12v, ...but if not, a 12v battery booster pack placed in the trunk or back seat will power an LED strobe for days.

• carolinamudwalker
      Editing a comment
      Brent, I would have to put it on the rumble seat/trunk lid but that would make it easy to run wires to a toggle switch in the cockpit. (sport coup)

This is a good safety item if we could find one you charge in your room at night and last all day that would be great, one of your cool looking fans would look neat as well.

Comment

Try these on the back of your car.

https://www.dhgate.com/product/motor...142781707.html

Comment

If you go with a magnetic device put something between it and the body to prevent paint damage. Maybe even masking tape on the magnet would be better than nothing
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Here’s one similar that has batteries, pretty good reviews

https://www.amazon.com/BolerGifts-Ro...+Prime+Members
          Nick

1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe
          2002 Corvette C5
          2012 Mini Cooper Clubman S
          2008 HHR
          2006 Hummer H2

Comment

Well, I was just informed today one of our cruise night visitors and youngster wanting to learn was rear ended while his car was parked. He parked right outside his work and she ran smack dab into the '30 coupe. Another parts car just came to market. I know he really wants to drive this car so we'll see just how bad he wants to get it back on the road.
            VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
            We grow old because we stop playing ...
            NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

• Chevmn56
              Chevmn56 commented
              Editing a comment
              Man i think i would come unglued..... your parked and get hit......WOW............ my temper may get the best of me!!!!!!!

Rear End Collisions and Former Waving Caution Flags:

I remember years ago ..... about always being warned and cautioned about encountering trucks carrying long, oil rig pipes, long, foundation creosote wood pilings, and long, creosote telephone poles on trucks with a rear attached waving red flag that absolutely nobody wanted to encounter.

In the not too distant past, we heard where some patriotic Model A owners thought that a waving American flag attached to a slower moving rear Model A bumper may attract caution and attention for faster drivers.

The above caution light today seems far more appropriate ..... especially at night .... furthermore, no driver will kneel for a caution light.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-20-2018, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I've been driving a Model A since 1971. There is definitely a different breed of driver today on the road than what there was even back then. Many are disrespectful, think of themselves, don't care about you, and on top of that there are many, many of them who are just down right stupid.

The fun of driving an antique car is not the same for me anymore. It is getting too dangerous. The roads are getting too crowded. Our Model A has been pretty much stay in town anymore. The highways are like the Daytona 500 around here today. 55 MPH speed limit and if you aren't doing 70 they run you over. The Illinois State Police is underfunded, they don't patrol the highways much at all right now like they used to. A State Trooper told me that last winter.

You're taking your life in your hands with an old car w/o good seat belts, crush zones, air bags, turn signals, good braking system, windshield wipers that actually work, high seat backs that protect your neck in a rear end collision, and on and on.

I'm one step away from hanging it up. These stories only fortify that thought.

Comment

• JDupuis
                JDupuis commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't give up, we need more “Jeff's" on the road! Jeff

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                I try and stay on the nearby country roads and even that is getting dangerous. You get these high rollers testing out their Porsche on the narrow windy roads going over a buck.

• Jeff/Illinois
                Jeff/Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                You're right Mitch and Jeff. I just came in from the garage tinkering on the Roadster a lot more fun than watching the Royal wedding. About the time I try to talk myself out of antique cars and move to a 2018 Mustang GT, which would be fun no doubt, I wander back to the old ones.

Best of both worlds is find a way to store a 2018 GT and have the Model A too. A Model A Ford takes up about the same space as two 500 Series John Deere Garden Tractors with 54 or 60 inch decks!
            Working...
            X