Line boring an engine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line boring an engine

I'm thinking about line boring an engine and oversizing the piston bore. I need help in figuring out what is needed before I get started. Good donor engine checked for being capable of handling the build, insert bearings, balanced crank, oversized pistons, connecting rods, and rings. Should I have a Stipe cam and adjustable lifters on hand. 6.o head and the oil pump needs to be capable of maintaining pressure. Distributor from Chief would be nice. If anyone can help me please let me know the order and what brand of items I should acquire. (George, Bill, and Steve ) Thanks, Pat
    Last edited by pAAt; 05-17-2018, 02:18 PM.

Pat, so that I am clear here, are you going to send the block out to be line-bored, --or are you wanting to buy a machine to do it yourself? The same questions regarding boring the cylinders.

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Brent, George and his boys (Bill & Steve) are going to line bore my engine next year at your place. They also mentioned doing the cylinder bore ( I hope those are the plans yet ) I need to know what to purchase and I plan on having the block checked out before hand by Dave Gerold in Jordan, MN. Any info or articles to read would be welcome.
      Last edited by pAAt; 05-17-2018, 02:05 PM.

• George Miller
      George Miller commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to check the bores near the top and tell us the exact bore size. So you can get the piston before you come. I bore to the size of each piston they do vary a little. The mains you will need the thrust washers. I will give you the part numbers when you say where you are going to get them.

Also check your engine real close for cracks in the lower part of the water jacket, front, rear and sides. Also check exhaust valve seats to cylinder. Especial 3,4 cylinder for a crack. You do not want to put a lot of time and money into a cracked engine. It can be done but not worth the effort.
      Last edited by George Miller; 05-17-2018, 03:27 PM.

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks George, I'll be checking in with you on a regular basis from here on out. Thank You !!!!!! Pat

• BRENT in 10-uh-C
      BRENT in 10-uh-C commented
      Editing a comment
      George/Pat, what I would recommend is just wait. I generally keep two sets of each Model-A piston size in stock, so just wait and bore when it is here and then the appropriate size of piston is on the shelf. Then just replace the set when you get back home and have them drop-ship them.

With regard to cracks, while George offers good advice here, do not let that be a deal-breaker. If it is a small or minor crack, we can repair it by stitching it while you are here. If it needs a seat, --or seats, I have those and you can do those and then replace just like the pistons.

I got you covered on the distributor(might have to rob the Northfield bank) Brent and George can answer your questions, buying the equipment and doing those yourself with success is not likely, also do you want to lighten the flywheel,counterbalance the crank or add a v8 pressure plate. Ask Bill Stipe about a cam? Remember I told you about putting a car rear end in as well for touring a lot t guys have done that.

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Chief, I want to do all the above with regards to Georges' feelings. I would like to do it exactly like George would do it, so stay tuned,, and be ready I think Jesse James tried the Northfield Bank once !!

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Second time is a charm I will be watching for you on breaking news.

Also Pat, see if you can open this video;

https://www.facebook.com/92143058641...5245946618642/

Comment

• BRENT in 10-uh-C
      BRENT in 10-uh-C commented
      Editing a comment
      Watching that video will quickly make you realize why they call it 'Boring'!!

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Pat would probably enjoy watching the paint dry when he gets his new engine done, gotta have something to do in the wintertime in Minnesota.

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      I remember that room Brent and that's your Boring machine !! Chief is right about needing something to do up here in the winter, I better get my little work shop insulated this summer. Condensation was horible last winter and had to quit heating it.

Brent thank you for offering your parts, that will make things a lot easier. Again Thanks, Pat
Working...
X