Bumper Clamp Paint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper Clamp Paint

I have contacted several suppliers about bumper clamp paint ( don't want decals ) and it appears that no one is carring it anymore . I tried to have a paint store match the chip in the Paint and Refinish Guide but the color turned out gray . Anyone have any ideas? Thanks , Norm

Go to a "old time" hobby shop. Ck out the model paint. FWIW
    Paul in CT

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion . There was a hobby shop near by that went out of business a few years ago . I'll have to look around Hobby Lobby?

Comment

Jim Brand can mix you up the proper tint

The vendor stuff was never right
        2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
        "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I bought a small bottle from Bert's a few years back. I think that small bottle would probably do a couple dozen clamps. Besides mine, I know it has done several more in our club.
          Alaskan A's
          Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
          Model A Ford Club of America
          Model A Restorers Club
          Antique Automobile Club of America
          Mullins Owners Club

Comment

I bought a bottle from one of the main dealers about 10 years ago, and thought the color looked great.
            After I painted my 4 clamps, I should have given the bottle to someone else that needed it because it had a short shelf life once I opened it.

Comment

“Testers” brand model paint. Good Luck. Jeff

Comment

Berts doesn't carry the paint anymore because of the short shelf life . Snyders , Brattons and A&L also don't carry it anymore for the same reason. Norm

Comment

Check with your local hobby shop, Testors makes an enamel paint that is very close to the original color. Sorry I don't have the color number handy.
                  VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
                  We grow old because we stop playing ...
                  NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions

Comment

The testors model paint that is just about perfect has a name something like General Motors Engine or Ford Engine. I just gave a full bottle to a friend about 5 months ago for his medalions and don't still have it. So you have to trust my memory (and that is your biggest mistake!)

Comment

The original color was called Washington Blue.

Comment

Norm I am relaying an email message to you from Jim Brand

You need "One Shot 158 Dark Blue" to paint your bumper clamps
                          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Where would you buy a can of One Shot 158? Thanks , Norm

Comment

When I painted my wheels a couple weeks ago I wanted to match the color to the pinstripe on my car so I went to aHome Depot and got a bunch of sample paint chips that looked close to the color and had my wife (she’s an artist and is really good at matching colors) find the correct color that matched....you could do the same thing for the blue color on the clamps. If you don’t have anything to match it to please let me know and I would be happy to match it up to the stickers on my car and let you know the color.

Nick
                            Nick

1930 Ford Model A Deluxe Coupe
                            2002 Corvette C5
                            2012 Mini Cooper Clubman S
                            2008 HHR
                            2006 Hummer H2

Comment

Thanks Mitch and everyone for the suggestions . I ended up ordering a can on Ebay. Found 4 ounces of One Shot pinstriping for about $13.68 including shipping .

Comment

Good deal Norm
                                Jim Brand will be back on here next week after I give him a quick tutoring lesson.
                                2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I will be in Branson for the National meet . Hope to see you and Jim Brand . Thanks again , Norm

Comment

• Mitch
                                    Mitch commented
                                    Editing a comment
                                    For sure we will catch up in Branson

Norm here is some more info that Jimbo sent me.!!!!

Full title, "One Shot Lettering Enamel, #158 Dark Blue"

A 1/4 pint is enough.

Purchase on line try Eastwoods Restoration Supplies, some online auto body supply dealers, 'Dick Blick Art Supplies', & 'Suder's Art Store'.

Support the clamp face up, stir the paint and apply directly from the can, no thinners, using a small artist's brush. Puddle the paint so it will flow out not leaving brush strokes & dry over night.

Mistakes can be washed off with mineral spirits and try again.

Ford sprayed the clamps thru a mask using lacquer paint. The results were translucent with a soft edge. That's another lesson.

Jim B.

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I have the mask for spray painting the large and small bumper clamps . It does leave a soft edge as original . I bought it from Will Cronkite a few years ago . I don't know if he has any more . See you in Branson , Norm

Comment

Originally posted by Norm View Post
                                      I have the mask for spray painting the large and small bumper clamps . It does leave a soft edge as original . I bought it from Will Cronkite a few years ago . I don't know if he has any more . See you in Branson , Norm
                                      Any pictures of the mask?
                                      How is it held in place?

Comment

I will try to attach a photo . This is my first try at adding a photo to a reply . Here goes . I used a piece of double side tape to hold in place . Norm I believe these were laser cut by Will
                                        Last edited by Norm; 05-19-2018, 07:58 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
                                          Mitch commented
                                          Editing a comment
                                          Norm nice job on the photos
                                      Working...
                                      X