Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Model A Forums

General Discussion
See more
See less

Some of the Dumbest Misinformation is found on the Model-A social media sites!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In response to Mr. Brent's #29 I remember very well Ron giving me all of the details of the before and after of his very brave August 6, 2006 trip.

Before Ron's trip, I was asking Ron about buying a Town Sedan not far from his place and asking about several others I had already gone to visit.

On September 2, 2006, (around the time of Ron's trip), my wife and I drove out to Fort Hood Texas to purchase my 1930 Briggs Town Sedan shown below. I later bought lots of parts from Ron to "mechanically" restore 100% of my 1930 Town Sedan, bumper to bumper.

Below is a later July 24, 2009, photo of my Model A taken on my first son's wedding day.

I had installed the engine (2) days before. The wedding was for 11:00 a.m. that July 24, 2009 morning. I got it running at about 10:00 a.m. that morning, picked up his bride and drove her to church, and drove both about (10) miles to their wedding reception.

The talk of the town among youngsters in our rural area was, suppose this dismantled Model A does not start.

Ron got the biggest kick out of hearing the local comments.

The day after the wedding I told him we did it in front of about 250 people that attended my son's wedding ..... Ron told me I was the only person he knew who could totally completely re-assemble a Model A in 2-3 days, just jump in, turn the key, and drive off. I carried no tools and no spare parts.

Ron was a true friend to all who knew him and was such a great person who would try anything with a Model A.

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-16-2018, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• Ayyy
      Ayyy commented
      Editing a comment
      This experience is a testament to your mechanical prowess and confidence. I like it.

Since everybody else is carrying so many parts I carry none.

Comment

Hey if all that stuff is iffy, leave the car at home! The only thing I like to have a spare of is the big starter drive spring. I've had them fail at the worst possible times. And I always carry wrenches.

Comment

We have all met some of these "experts" at car shows, these guys and posts like this make collecting cars fun ! Thanks for the original post, it added some fuel to the fire.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
          Since everybody else is carrying so many parts I carry none.
          That can backfire on you! (literally)

About 10 years ago our club was on a day trip, and my 28 was doing a lot of backfiring. I thought my condenser might be going bad, so when we stopped at the Ford plant, one of the guys on the tour offered to sell me his condenser in his spare parts for $5. It was used, but I was in a pinch, so I bought it. Turns out it was bad and made my car continue to backfire. A few days later I discovered the contacts in my repro switch weren't making good contact, and that was the problem the whole time.

Comment

Talking about disrespect on social media sites................ I was told that is the reason that you never hear from several very knowledgeable Model A people anymore just because of that. On the 'other' site they were attacked quite badly and made the decision the heck with all of you, and are now gone forever. Guess I can't blame them.

I do not do **, but my friends that do tell me the stories about people attacking them, viciously, about stuff that they comment on or post a lot of it is politics. I'm real glad I 'miss' all of that drama. ** was supposed to be a fun thing as I understand it and it is turning into the opposite. Sounds like that spills over into the old car hobby too.

Same reason I quit car 'clubs' I got tired of the cliques and the BS. Life has never been better. I don't plan on going back any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
              one of the guys on the tour offered to sell me his condenser in his spare parts for $5.
              Ya know Tom that irks me. When we finished the Gettysburg grand tour, Mike (from the VFF) pulled someone in with a tow rope. The car needed a rotor so one guy had one and sold it for a couple bucks. Personally I would feel like a dick to sell someone a little part like that. What happened to take care of your fellow man? Is it because some are cheapo's? At the same meet during the touring class judging it started to pour. Before the rain hit I yanked out my disposable plastic car cover. Well I had an extra and gave it to Horse Whisperer (from the VFF) because he asked if I had another. He did offer $$ but no way would I take it. Ya know hopefully when you do someone a solid it comes back to ya later on.

Venting over
              2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
                they were attacked quite badly and made the decision the heck with all of you, and are now gone forever.

I talked to Marco extensively at Gettysburg and tried get him on here. The VFF was much newer then without a track record. He wouldn't budge because he was beat up so badly and much of his info had vanished. Like when the changed hands. All those archives never came back, even though they were supposed to. Marco did give me some pointers about the forum and he also knew about our existence before the meet. So Marco if your reading this and going to Branson watch out, I'm ready to bug your ass big time.
                2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am sure you will take care of any jerks not having Marco is a great loss to the hobby. You can disagree with people and if you do at least point out your reasons why, you might just find you do not know as much as you think. There is never a reason to be disrespectful to other folks.

• BRENT in 10-uh-C
                  BRENT in 10-uh-C commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I too miss Marco greatly. I guess we were naïve in thinking that F 'barn was always going to be for restorers to discuss originality & authenticity. A great lesson was learned by many, and unfortunately many have deep scars & wounds from the behavior of management there.

• Jeff/Illinois
                  Jeff/Illinois commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We could list a number of former contributors, it would be quite a few.... another is Peter Mendola he was an expert on Tudor Dlx. Phaetons.

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ya know Brent
                  All it would of took was to push a few buttons, and make a separate area for that like we have here. We just about begged but instead we got this.

" Building a car for show points is almost as lame as getting in an argument on the internet"

But then again there was much more than this issue over there.

SMH

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Jeff

Peter is still around and actually posted maybe twice here. He has been busy with other things.

• Bob C
                  Bob C commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Like the others I miss Marco's knowledge, hopefully you can get him to post here.

I have done people favors and they have done some for me, Some people have attacked other people on other sites,I personally could care less what a guy does with HIS car. I have said I am not interested in judging but I plan on watching it and learning. Why because i find the nuances of different years and practices to be interesting as well. I have learned a lot from guys like Tom and many others. I have also learned a lot from posts like Mike V. and George as well as the things Mark Maron has contributed. Jim Mason is always there to clarify things for those of us learning about model A's. All that matters in the end is are you having fun then what you do does not matter, look at the trip Wiz posted about awhile back or the workshop we had thanks to Mitch and Brent. Name a forum any where you get the experience and advice you get here with respect and understanding. I know of none and that is why i am here.

Comment

Just one opinion in reference to Reply #28:

The usual human thing always happens when someone enters the limelight and/or becomes popular with success or anything.

Human jealousy takes over and enters the scene where some jealous person or some jealous click will always constantly try to attack any type of success whenever, wherever, and for no matter whatever.

In my opinion, Marco is one of the many most humble, most knowledgeable, and best overall Model A gentlemen we ever encountered on any Model A Forum.

With humility, from about more than 20 years ago, Marco's popularity grew to where he was sought out by many for not just very intricate Model A mechanical details; but also exacting details referenced in all of the Model A categories of the Model A Judging Standards. Sadly, many of his hundreds of past Forum messages have been lost.

Human jealousy happens often on all Forums as well as on Model A Forums; it happens to every President who wins an election; it happened 2,000 or so years ago to a humble person who for no "just" reason was crucified and nailed to a cross.

Lately greed and jealousy has gone so far and gotten so ridiculous in 2018, that if one just wears a red baseball cap in any McDonald Restaurant anywhere in the entire U. S., he may get murdered.

Thanks to those who are still willing to go out on a limb to post Model A Forum messages, answer Forum messages, etc., knowing they could be attacked at any moment.

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                    Jeff/Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    H.L. is right,,,, the level of jealousy in this country has gone bonkers the last 15 years or so... somebody works hard for something and they are attacked by the lazy loafers who want something for nothing and hate you for having what they were too lazy to work for. They demand that you give them your's so everybody is 'equal'.

Never works history proves that over and over.

Originally posted by BNCHIEF View Post
                  I have done people favors and they have done some for me, Some people have attacked other people on other sites,I personally could care less what a guy does with HIS car. I have said I am not interested in judging but I plan on watching it and learning. Why because i find the nuances of different years and practices to be interesting as well. I have learned a lot from guys like Tom and many others. I have also learned a lot from posts like Mike V. and George as well as the things Mark Maron has contributed. Jim Mason is always there to clarify things for those of us learning about model A's. All that matters in the end is are you having fun then what you do does not matter, look at the trip Wiz posted about awhile back or the workshop we had thanks to Mitch and Brent. Name a forum any where you get the experience and advice you get here with respect and understanding. I know of none and that is why i am here.
                  Where I personally view the huge difference here vs. the social media-type sites is that here you find the answers are given by people who truly have the experience to guide you. On the social media sites, it appears the majority of participants will make comments offering suggestions that are not even remotely close to being accurate. Maybe it is a cultural difference, but it almost appears that making up answers is an accepted practice. Check out these two comments from Mark's post about the dangers of an original two-blade fan.

Stupid Posts1.jpgStupid Posts2.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                    Jeff/Illinois commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Fake news migrating to Antique Ford sites.

I'm no Roger Kaufman or Dave Lopes God rest their souls, but have been around long enough to read these and say 'HUH??' it's the new guys that won't know any differently. That is quite problematic.

Mitch, yes, I also thought the condenser thing was pretty lame.
                  Not only was $5 an overcharge, as I could have bought a new heat proof condenser for $3 at the time, but why would anyone even keep a bad condenser in their spare parts?

Comment

• Bikerider58
                    Bikerider58 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Used parts may be a hoarding thing or social media suggestion.
                    Under the seat the P.O. had an assortment of break down parts, mostly used (hoses, belt, distributor and parts,plugs, bendix spring, and other crap)
                    I carry new plugs, rotor, points, and condenser.

Originally posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
                  Mitch, yes, I also thought the condenser thing was pretty lame.
                  Not only was $5 an overcharge, as I could have bought a new heat proof condenser for $3 at the time, but why would anyone even keep a bad condenser in their spare parts?
                  wasnt bad - was unknown. Was one of the 9 parts they swapped out (and continue to swap out) to diagnose their problems so they keep it around. Instead of understanding the parts and how they work together and understand how it can or cannot be something given a set of symptoms they just throw parts at it for the heck of it. Easy to change and they heard "That one guy had similar problems and this fixed it" line before.

Or its a "feel good" part - their buddy had one fail so they dont want to be in the same boat! Better change it now and keep the old one around! We've all been there - I've changed parts out that given their age it should be changed - may work great now but how long will it last? (belts for example - still good hate to throw it away dunno what to do with it besides hang it up in the garage or throw in the trunk) But yea charging you $5? Used cheap parts like that I give away or practically give away.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSlugs View Post
                    Used cheap parts like that I give away or practically give away.
                    Even if it was brand new in the box, but that's just me
                    2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
                      Jeff/Illinois commented
                      Editing a comment
                      On a similar yet unsimilar deal I gave a friend a LOT of '35 Ford parts probably 35 years ago,he was working on a project his dad left him,and he has done nothing with them. I have offered to BUY them back I do need some of those parts now, but he is one of those guys that 'Hey I got it, you need it, it will lay out by the shed and turn to rust I'll never part with it.' And he is never going to use them! And that is where they are. Almost too far gone now.

• DaWizard
                      DaWizard commented
                      Editing a comment
                      If you GAVE them to him, just sneak back and take them! Who cares if he calls you an indian giver!

• BNCHIEF
                      BNCHIEF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Now that is what you call a real jerk.

In my humble experiences in my past life, I have found that humans usually come in two (2) flavors ...... Givers and Takers.

Givers were usually raised by Givers and hang around with Givers ....... takers were usually raised by Takers, hang around with Takers, and are always looking to screw Givers.

This Forum is loaded with Givers.

As far as I am concerned anybody ..... and I mean anybody ........ who would ask for $5.00 or $3.00 for any Model A condenser from a needy Model A person on a tour should have an entire un-lubricated distributor rammed up his rear end with the coil wire, coil, (4) spark plug bands and (4) spark plugs attached ... ... and after insertion ..... should receive at least three (3) coil shocks, minimum, after connecting all of same to a 6 volt battery ....... but this is just me!
                    Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 05-17-2018, 07:00 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
                      Mitch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      While standing in a puddle of water barefoot

• Jeff/Illinois
                      Jeff/Illinois commented
                      Editing a comment
                      H.L. does this mean you are a giver?? Of PAIN!!!!!

That is funny!! And you are right, that is what that guy needs to have done to him for doing that.
                  Working...
                  X