Service Bulletin Index Discovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Bulletin Index Discovery

A few years ago I bought a SB book with several original Model A SB's but all the 32-35 SB's (the reason I bought it). Last week I was looking at the A section and noticed the SB index in the front. Looked again and it was different. It was compiled by Murry Fahnstock in Sept 1931. Had a little different information that the one in the back of the Ford SB's that we are all familiar with. It also had a section on Clearances and Limits. Pictures attached.

DSCN4578.JPGDSCN4579.JPG

Thanks Grover, very interesting reading.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

That is very cool and different. Do those pages come out of the binder? It would be neat to scan them into the forum
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Grover
        Grover commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll work on that. Scanner wasn't working.

From the 28-31 sb

Studio_20180430_192453.png
      http://jmodela.coffeecup.com

Comment

Mitch, I am not sure I would be in a rush to include them here at the VFF, unless a disclaimer is set forth.
        Based on the alloys in use today, the clearances are very incorrect for piston to wall and ring end gaps. Now I know where Les Andrews is getting his erroneous info.

This info has caused no end of grief to many Model A owners who are suffering with locked engines when hot, and scuffed pistons, scored cyl. walls, and other damage. Expensive lessons await anyone who follows that info
        Last edited by tbirdtbird; 04-30-2018, 08:29 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          You're correct about the specs. I was more interested in the first page that Grover posted. They structured the information into groups or components.

• BNCHIEF
          BNCHIEF commented
          Editing a comment
          Tbird you made the point I was about to make on clearances.

The sept. 31 sb looks like this...maybe a reprint of MF'S index?

Studio_20180430_213933.png

Comment

The idex does look a lot like the sb index mainly because it is an index of the same thing. It is different in some areas. Both were published in Sept but may have been coordinated between Ford and Fahnestock.

We always had this little saying at work:

"Neither the wild heat of love's full passion nor the fierceness of the cold flames of hate can match the intense need of one man to edit another's work--Unknown"

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            Didn’t Henry Ford say that? Lol

Please don't take it that I was knocking your post. I would love to see the MF index. more data is always good. great find btw.

Comment

Thanks to John (Grover) for scanning these pages and emailing it to me. This index which John brought to our attention above was compiled by Murray Fahnestock @1931. If you compare this index to the regular Service Bulletin set, it is compiled differently. For instance under speedometer in the old set “Gears-different ratio axles” (pg 438)in this Murray index it’s under axle “Drive gear and pinion, high speed (pg 438). I like this index organization better in many ways..

Of course the page numbers are all the same, Just the descriptions and index locations are sometimes different between the two

I am going to make a copy of these pages to keep in my regular SB book.

2681DE0C-3E4F-42EA-B8B9-28CB71620A71.pngDECDE260-1BD3-4E2D-A736-2BF18D95A380.png4E164632-2739-46B1-AC5B-A5E7704ADF21.png19EB2A0C-E69B-4EDC-8D3D-CFE8D13DEC46.png2E1C9874-B7CD-4DE6-ABCB-3DAA8DDFA303.png5C8428F7-764B-4087-9D7F-44D4C63EAA18.jpeg
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment