NERVE WRACKING

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NERVE WRACKING

What was your MOST nerve wracking: & tedious: part of doin' your car?
    Bill Curious

Right now it is the rear body panel for the delivery. Bottom 5 inches were almost non-existant. Add to it the fact the panel and stiffeners are bent right at the beltline on each side. I have made a jig for straightening the stiffeners and am saving pennies to get the tanks for the torch so I can heat them in the places needed and shrink them in a few places. I salvaged and pieced out a tudor body last year and kept the rear seat support to correctly set the height as I weld in a full width patch. Nerve racking as finding a replacement rear panel for it would be near impossible to find. The stiffeners are the same shape as the tudor, but made differently. Rod
    Last edited by Rowdy; 07-12-2017, 12:55 PM.
    Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Removing 9 broken head studs... that was nerve wracking! The biggest relief was at the end checking the last stud for fit and not having to thread insert a single one.

Comment

When I purchased my car ;-(
        I was 1 1/2 hours from the man I purchased it from and 1 1/2 hours from home. The car quit running what the heck do I do? Step back, cooled off it was very hot weather, it started up and continued home :-) Many years later replaced the ignition
        switch !

Comment

Body work, painting. I hate it but if you do not want to pay big bucks, you got to do it.

Comment

Brother *****,
            My Friend, Ron, was a GENIUS at blowing broken studs from CAST IRON! He used a small "special" cutting torch & when done, he could "almost" screw in a stud, without running the threads!!!
            Bro Bill

Comment

The most nerve racking thing for me is assembling a freshly painted restoration, you have to be so careful not to scratch the new paint. I basically sweat bullets throughout the build.
              3 ~ Tudor's
              Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Tinkering with the rear brakes. I just hate tearing the rear brake assemblies apart.

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey Joe that brings to mind a shop saying we have.
                  It's called the "Pep Boys Shuffle"
                  That's when someone is unsure of how the brakes go back together so ya shuffle over to the other side and take a peek . lol

YEP, Son,
                If working on STRANGE brakes, take apart ONE side at a time!!---Then I "wonder"---DID THE LAST JACKASS PUT THEM TOGETHER CORRECTLY???----I'm my own WORST enemy, I "think" TOO MUCH???
                Mitchs' KDad

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Mickey
                  To add the dispatch box or not?
                  by Mickey
                  I have new kick panels for my CCPU and am debating whether or not to put the dispatch box on the right side panel. It would be a nice addition but there is little enough room for your feet as it is. Also it would likely get kicked (hince "kick panel") plus would the weight eventually cause sagging or wrapping. Any thoughts? Especially if you have the box installed.
                  02-05-2018, 11:49 AM
                • Curly
                  What are the Sedan Delivery’s selling for?
                  by Curly
                  There are too many variables to give an exact number but “roughly” how much more expensive are the delivery's?
                  There seems to be so few on the market it’s a challenge to compare and contrast.

I’ve heard it said that nice trucks sell for about $5000 more than nice cars. Are there any rules of thumb with the delivery’s?
                  11-29-2017, 01:13 AM
                • PauloSch
                  1911 Open Runabout
                  by PauloSch
                  Hello, fellows.
                  I'm new to this forum, and want to thank you for having me. First I'd like to tell you I don't own any old timer jewel car. And since I live in Brazil, where Model T only started production in 1919 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Brasil), it is rather difficult to find my favorite over here.
                  I'm a fan of electric cars, but they are also scarce in Brazil yet. And as...
                  04-28-2018, 07:24 PM
                • slammin
                  What does the kick panel cover
                  by slammin
                  I just finished installing my LogoLites turn signals. It was an easy task, and they work! My 29 Tudor came less interior. All the interior photos I have seen don't show the drivers side kick panel area from a low angle. If anyone has such a photo or could take and post one I would be grateful. I want to make sure all the wires will be hidden before I secure them. I ran all the wires through the clothe...
                  02-24-2018, 10:46 AM
                • Jwmckenzie
                  Station Wagon Rear Wheelhouse, a.k.a: rear inner fenders, rear wheel aprons
                  by Jwmckenzie
                  I have secured a pair of Rear Wheelhouse assemblies for my Station Wagon. The sheet metal aprons are in pretty tough shape, I think I can make repairs, but having a set of patch panels would be a great help.

The Wheelhouse is made of two major parts. Structural component which is 4 foot long and made of 1/8 inch steel. This part is riveted to a piece of 18 gauge sheet metal, the apron,...
                  04-06-2018, 08:05 AM
                • Dave Mc
                  My one off 33 Vicky C400
                  by Dave Mc
                  My 33 Fordor was bulldozed into a ravine in northern Nevada sometime in the 50's or 60's , back then it was during small town cleanup campaigns . I brought it home in 1981, 4 years later I had it ready to paint and put together as a stock Fordor , then a divorce happened ,I got the kids and she hit the road. So my project went on the back burner until 1999 when the kids went out on their own ,I decided...
                  08-25-2018, 07:55 PM
                • Steve Plucker
                  Rear Floor Pan...28-29 Phaeton vs. Tudor
                  by Steve Plucker
                  Does any one know if the Rear Floor Pans on the 28-29 Phaeton and Tudor are interchangable?

I have a copy of the November 15, 1929 Body Parts List and it lists A-35204 for the Phaeton but NO number is given for the Tudor.

Thanks.

Pluck
                  10-18-2018, 09:54 PM
                • Tom Wesenberg
                  Pictures of Original 1928 Tudor Rear Inside
                  by Tom Wesenberg
                  Here are some pictures that should help show the location of the metal brackets for the rear side panels. My early 29 Tudor came with the upholstery all removed, and I always wondered where the 2 curved thin metal channels went. This picture shows them as supports for the lower part of the side quarter panel.
                  The thing I question is that long screw poking down from the corner bracket. Going...
                  02-21-2018, 10:18 AM
                • gpmiller76
                  Rough surface on left rear of 1915 T
                  by gpmiller76
                  I am considering purchasing a 1915 T touring. The left rear panel has a rough surface. It is not bondo, as a magnet sticks to it all over. Is it rust? The paint is at least 15 years old, according to the owner. There is no flaking and the metal seems firm when I thump it with mu knuckle. The rough surface starts at the top of the panel and does not extend to the bottom of the panel See attached...
                  10-12-2017, 07:54 PM
                • Rowdy
                  29 Special Coupe Roof
                  by Rowdy
                  Is the roof panel above the door norrower or wider than the panel above the door than that of a tudor? Looking for these panels for my Dads special coupe and a friend called me and the right side he bought for his tudor is narrower than what he needs. Hoping it is the right width for the special coupe and I can trade him for the one I have for a tudor. For some reason I was thinking the one for the...
                  09-26-2017, 12:21 PM
                Working...
                X