B Head or is it a Model B Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B Head or is it a Model B Head?

Sometimes people ask about a B head, but they aren't specific whether they mean the Model A high compression head with the "B" cast in it, or are they talking about the Model B engine head with the large "C" cast in it. Besides the letter cast in each head, they are very easy to tell apart by the water pump.
    The Model A head with the "B" cast in it has the regular 4 bolt Model A water pump and no coolant outlet as part of the pump.
    The Model B head with the "C" cast in it has the 3 bolt water pump with the coolant outlet cast as part of the pump.

When I bought my truck it had a B cast on the head. I was told that was a Brumfield head. The water jacket was cracked, so I went about looking for a replacement only to discover that it wasn't a Brumfield and that Brumfield quit making them. Settled for a 5.5 Snyder head.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

Here is a link that Ford Garage posted in the tech section about heads
      http://www.fordgarage.com/pages/head...ssionratio.htm
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• JKY
        Marking on Head
        by JKY
        The 29 Tudor I bought last month has a 13 cast into the head. Any idea what that signifies?...
        09-14-2020, 08:04 AM
      • JDupuis
        Markings on Model A head
        by JDupuis
        Putting a rebuilt engine together.
        This head is standard, but must have been aftermarket.
        Note the different castings....
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 4 photos.
        01-05-2019, 11:14 AM
      • thom
        cracked head
        by thom
        This morning the cylinder head cracked on our '28 coupe. I cranked it and drove off in it without checking the level in the radiator, but I had checked it last evening and it was good. There was no sign of leakage under the car or water/coolant showing on the oil dipstick. Shortly after startup, I heard a whistling sound and stopped to check it out. There is a crack across the head about 2/3 back...
        10-04-2019, 01:46 PM
      • AzBob
        High compression head installed.
        by AzBob
        New Prus 8:1 aluminum high compression head installed. Can maintain 35 mph on hills I used to have to downshift into Ruckstell with. A noticeable improvement in performance all around. The aluminum head weighs 12 lbs. The old 3.98:1 cast iron head weighed 28 lbs.

03-25-2018, 12:55 PM
      • dmdeaton
        Water Pumps
        by dmdeaton
        What is up with new water pumps? The flange on the pumps is tight enough in the Head bore that something needs to be relieved. I don't know if its the head or the water pump. I have a couple new heads, and both fit the same. I haven't measured either yet, but will when I get time. I also have 2 new pumps laying around and they both are tight. I have an old stock head here at my shop and I will measure...
        08-02-2019, 08:50 AM
      • bosticjb
        Head Gasket
        by bosticjb
        Got to pull head to repalce head gasket ( I hope thats all that is wrong) any tricks to pulling head without damage to head or me ?
        08-05-2020, 07:29 PM
      • 1930artdeco
        head studs
        by 1930artdeco
        Ok I am looking for a consensus about this. When I built this engine years ago I installed grade 8 head studs as I added the 5.5 head. Now, I am assuming they are still good as I only have about 10-15k on the engine. But what did Ford use originally with the high comp heads grade 5 or 8?

Mike
        01-31-2019, 07:48 PM
      • bettlesr
        New high compression head
        by bettlesr
        Are Tod's new iron 7:1 Winfield heads available anywhere or does anyone know when they will be?
        Thanks
        02-11-2020, 09:24 PM
      • ClaudeC
        removing the cylinder head
        by ClaudeC
        What are the safest ways to remove a cylinder head
        05-01-2020, 12:47 PM
      • 2manycars
        Stuck head
        by 2manycars
        A few years ago, someone gave me a truck load of model A engines that had been poorly stored. I saved 2 of them, but the rest were so rusted that I could only save a few parts from them.
        My brother is more persistant, and sent me these photos yesterday of his attempt to remove a stuck head. I think the new engines being cast by Tod will solve this sort of problem.
        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
        This gallery has 3 photos.
        05-31-2018, 07:15 AM
      Working...
      X