Drive report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive report

It was a beautiful day in eastern CT today. (Mr Rogers would have been very happy). I drove all 8 cars, and 4 motorcycles and the tractor, for a spring excercize and gas up. But the part that may interest this crowd is how the tudor ran with the intake manifold bored out. I was very surprised at how much more power it has and how much better it runs with the intake bored to match the B carb that has been on there for several years. It was worth the effort.
    Last edited by 2manycars; 04-28-2018, 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Bill- Where did you have the manifold bored out at? Alex

Comment

Alex, I have bored a few on my Bridgeport, but my boring bar lost it's carbide cutter, so I had this one drilled by my friend Karl, who lives in the nearby city, and is a retired machinist.
      Bill
      http://www.brauchauto.com/
      Eastern Connecticut

Comment

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bill. I had a source for boring a manifold, but there's a loss of interest I guess. I know Renner's Corner does it also, but I haven't contacted them yet. Its great to hear that the manifold change worked so well for you. Sounds like your going to enjoy drives even more now.

If you know what you want, I think any local small machine shop should be able to accomplish this job. No sense paying one of the shippers to haul a manifold back and forth across the country.

Comment

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        That's true, but a lot of the work is in the set-up of the mill and tooling. It's only about $40 to have a specialty shop do it. With shipping both ways it comes to about 68. Not cheap, but I think most general machine shops would charge more, IMO.

Alex, I use a place on Commonwealth and Western for large machining work that I can't do here, and it would probably be about the same without involving a shipping Co.
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be a nice score. Do you have the name or number of the shop?

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        WHAT!!! You want me to do alll yer werk fer ya??

Mitchell Brothers
        7373 Orangethorpe Ave.
        Buena Park, Ca 90621
        714-5221020

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW, it is Western and Orangethorpe, NOT Commonwealth

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks JC. Of course I want you to do all the work. Duh.

• DaWizard
        DaWizard commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok, you got da info now get'er done!

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        Mitchell Brothers came in at 90. Brett was a great guy and I'll try him again on my next machining job.

Ok, so instead of handing it to Brent and paying a bit more for 2 day service, you are going to ship it someplace, take a chance it getting there in one piece, have the work done, and take the chance with the shipping back for what, $22.00?

Makes perfect sense to me
      You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Ayyy
        Ayyy commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm going to use a shop that specializes in this, and has done the same job many times before. I can do the entire transaction my mail, instead of going to Buena Park twice. I save money. I've never had a problem with shipping parts, seems like a non-issue That's what makes sense to me.

On top of all this, when I told Brent about the other shop, he completely agreed with me.

So why the train wreck?
        Last edited by Ayyy; 05-01-2018, 12:31 AM.