30/31 Sport Coupe top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30/31 Sport Coupe top

OK Guys, what material was originally used for the top on a 30/31 Sport Coupe?

TOB

The Standards show Two-tone diagonal grain artificial leather (gray).

Comment

• TOBKOB
      TOBKOB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yesterday I was looking through some books that a deceased member of my car club had given me and there was an article form the Restorer magazine volume 15 issue 2 that said the same thing and that no one was reproducing it then.
      I don't know what year this was from but I don't recall ever seeing a Sport Coupe (including mine) with anything except a canvas material. I just thought this was an interesting fact that I have never read before.

TOB

We restored a '30spt coupe in the 1980's and used the LeBaron kit. We coated the canvas with gray fabric spray which at least had an approx. color.and painted the rear window frame gray. At the time ,the kit had no inner fabric liner though the canvas insides blended well with the drill used to wrap the bow,s etc.. One could now possibly get a gray Haartz canvas , vinyl or stippled vinyl top fabric from Kwiktops or others or use SEM coatings sprays used to touch up car fabrics, plastics, etc..
    Check out Marco's abarnyard.com site for photos of the original spt coupe top material and color. It looks close to the Haartz materials used on German cars.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• DaWizard
      Who knows about the Sport Coupe?
      by DaWizard
      Now, when I was younger, my first A was a '30 Sport Coupe, but all I really remember about it was it had some vinyl seat cover material for a roof.

Today I was working on an Aug '28 Sport Coupe and noticed something I had not remembered about my first one. It seems that the "Special Coupe" wasn't the only model to have a removable beltline. Can any of you out there in Model
      01-05-2018, 10:36 PM
    • Ronnie Hill
      Replacing the top on my unrestored late 31 Coupe.
      by Ronnie Hill
      I had no choice but to replace the top on my unrestored late 31 Coupe.
      I don’t drive it when it’s wet but the top had rips in it letting wind get through and i was afraid it would tear up the original head liner. I’m pretty sure that it’s original but something seems to be missing.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 5 photos.
      05-01-2019, 06:03 AM
    • Ray Horton
      Top dressing
      by Ray Horton
      I have thought about renewing the top sealant on my 29 business coupe, but given that it is only a single thickness of fabric, I am concerned about the chemical odor permeating the interior of the car and making it unpleasant or even unhealthy. Can anyone advise me what they have used on older sport coupe and business coupe tops, and has odor been a problem?
      07-15-2017, 09:55 AM
    • carolinamudwalker
      Sport coupe Top
      by carolinamudwalker
      Ok, I probably am not using the search option properly. (whats new) Could not find anything on replacing the top on a sport coup. My question is: Can the outer fabric be replaced without removing the entire top?
      02-08-2019, 12:58 PM
    • thom
      Haven't posted in a while, now have a '28 Sport Coupe as well as our '21 Touring
      by thom
      I posted before about our T but we just bought a '28 A Sport Coupe. It is an older restoration that runs and drives great.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      10-02-2019, 11:07 PM
    • frankn
      special coupe top
      by frankn
      1928 49a special coupe has anyone found an easy way to take off metal belt line at bottom of top I think it would snap on but don't want to damage anything
      08-24-2020, 09:32 PM
    • mpollock
      Anyone know of a good cloth top installation video for Model A Sport Coupe closed Top?
      by mpollock
      Looking for video on closed top installation for a Model A Sport Coupe. They all seem to be only for roadsters.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      01-01-2021, 02:08 PM
    • thom
      '28 Sport Coupe on the road again
      by thom
      After replacing the cracked head and converting back to stock
      A points and condenser our '28
      Sport Coupe is running great. I hope it's good for another 90 years.
      10-14-2019, 07:12 PM
    • CM2
      Trade opinions?
      by CM2
      I offered the Harley for the '31 sport coupe.both are obvious projects,Ill never do the Harley cause I don't ride anymore (love to ride,hate falling off) The sport coupe would fit the chassis I'm building and would allow me to keep my 29 sport coupe complete,basically it gives me two cars,which I need like a hole in the head.Marrying that 31 body to my frame builds value however,and I'm not against...
      This gallery has 4 photos.
      12-17-2017, 09:40 AM
    • AzBob
      Going to look at a 1930 Sport Coupe.
      by AzBob
      I am going to look at a 1930 Sport Coupe. It is an older restoration and has a few “upgrades” such as a Model B engine with an A transmission, Weber carb, pressurized radiator, F100 steering gear, Borg Warner overdrive and 16” wheels. Owner says the “B” engine has been recently rebuilt.

The paint per the owner has some scratches and is beginning to show its age. Interior is...
      07-16-2020, 07:38 PM
    Working...
    X