• Check out the new VFF modified forums
  • Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Model A Forums

General Discussion
    See more
    See less

Reasonable Expectations on a Sedan Roof (--revisited topic)

Collapse
    X
    • Filter
    • Time
    • Show
    Clear All

What to do?

PO did full restoration some 20+ years ago. Paint is showing age with chips, cracks, rust bubbling, fade and rough areas. Not interested in effort or expense to do it right, now. Perhaps I will have time in a decade to make it fresh for the century celebration.

However, I do not want it to get too bad between now and then.

The roof is in good shape except for the Hideum welting having rotten thread and it separating. Looks like PO hit a few spots with sealant on exterior.

How hard is it to replace just the welt? And, how much more to do the top?

The interior is in great shape so I do not want to mess it up.

As a minimum, I am thinking of removing welt, reseal, tape off and paint, then install new welt.

What do you think?

Comment

Brent: If I was paying you what I think you're getting for a complete restoration I would EXPECT the roof NOT to leak ! ! !
        Paul in CT

Comment

Never did a top, but I was looking at how they seal up stuff on boats not long ago.

I suggest a visit to a boat yard or marine place and ask around about what they use.

They make some sealers that go between fittings and the hull that keep water out. It looks like a tape of sorts. They also point out for a better seal when you drill holes put a little counter sink so the sealer has a place to go.

Comment

2 words.."DRIP CHECK" use it all the time and it works great..Seals, primed and painted what ever color you want...

Comment

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              Please elaborate Mark you have my attention.

Forgot to mention that most of the closed cars were designed to drain water, especially the windows,doors and trunks had weep holes. The '27 Chrysler posted earlier has mohair interior and surprisingly no stains at the top headliner. Most of the sealants back in the day were oil (alkyd), alcohol, or asphalt based, and zinc chromate primer (can be toxic) is a good primer for aluminum moldings. As stated, and having spent decades in the construction industry, today's sealants are complex chemistry and designed for specific applications and materials compatibility.Most of the common big box store sealants are designed to be used with foam backing rods in joints, so automotive types may be better suited , available from commercial auto body paint suppliers, etc. The vendors sell a model A club's replacing Roofs videos with some good techniques on how to improve closed car roofs performance while maintaining the stock appearance.
            Last edited by plyfor; 06-14-2018, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X