Rear end project, (More)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end project, (More)

Well, I finally finished the "rear gear" project over the week end. It was hard to get done between the extensive tree damage, a bad tenant and several other distractions. I was driving the car in the driveway yesterday. It was quiet, smooth and quick. To those who don't remember, I put in a set of 3.54 gears to replace the old 3.78 gears that were totally shot. It was a bad pinion bearing that came apart and put little hardened steel rollers bouncing around inside and occasionally jamming the gears. Boy, she stopped suddenly! So I bit the bullet, got it home (AAA) and started wrenching, a long, complicated job! I even had a guy ask me how it went because he wanted to do one and I was the only person he knew that had attempted it. That was flattering!
    Terry

Hey Terry
    I'm glad you got it done and that it seems to have turned out well. I'm going to combine all your separate rear threads into one. It would be more informative that way and less confusing for future reference. Having the same project scattered about is hard to follow
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Terry, NJ
      Terry, NJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Mitch! Great Idea! One of my main reason for so much verbiage was to get it down on paper just what had to be done, why and how. I really appreciated the comments that I elicited from others. I work alone here and I have NO model A experience, so I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished.
      Terry

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
    Hey Terry
    I'm glad you got it done and that it seems to have turned out well. I'm going to combine all your separate rear threads into one. It would be more informative that way and less confusing for future reference
    This is a perfect example why this site is eons ahead of other sites! We should all be thankful we have an owner/moderator that really cares about promoting the hobby and giving members the best experience possible. THANK YOU MITCH!

Comment

It's done
      I think I found them all. Should make a good tech thread, it contains lots of diff info

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...rear-end-stuff
      3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Today I took it for a little ride! About 8 miles all told. I took my laser heat gun and when I reached my destination I checked the temperature (72 -77 deg F ambient) the rear was 84-87 deg, I was pleased! But the car has developed a new bad habit. The "Death wobble"! This is not the first time either. Two years ago, I rebuilt the steering box to cure this problem. However, I noticed the Death Wobble seemed as though it had many causes. Spring shackles, wheel bearings, linkage ball ends, and various other causes. And I imagine, bad shocks! There are no shocks in the rear right now and I discovered one of my rear shocks was never there. So I need a pair of rear shocks! And possibly something else too. Also, I had a hard time getting it to run smoothly. No amount of adjusting the GAV rod or the timing could smooth it out. It misfired and farted and then it seemed ok for a while then it started all over again. Any suggestions?
        Terry

Comment

Terry, for the spitting and farting, try to loosen the gas cap, or pull the fuel line from the carb, loosen the fitting at the sediment bowl, turn the pipe all the way up to rest against the hood rod, then turn on the gas valve at the tank, and with the cap OFF put some air pressure back through the pipe, this should clear it of any clogs. I suppose I should take pictures of how I do that. Also, make sure that your fuel line from the firewall to the carb is all downhill, NO upward angle as that can cause vapor locking.

One thing I have found about the death wobble, it could be a worn ball on the front wishbone. Check to be sure the ball is not overly worn or sloppy.
          Whenever I pass someone who's texting and driving, I throw my beer at their window.

Comment

My 28 has a worn out front end while I restore the original. The king pins have a lot of slop, but the car has never had the death wobble. I'd start by checking the toe-in, then the wishbone ball to be sure it has no slop. Check that the tie rod ends are tight to the balls. Also check the pitman arm bolt to be sure it's very tight, and the steering box must be tight to the frame.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Tom posted spot on info as usual. Toe in and that pitman bolt. Make sure when moving the steering wheel freeplay on the ground yoo sector is not sloping inside the pitman

You can also try inflating your tires to the prescribed psi and or rotate the tires. A crappy tire or rim will mess ya up as well

• Terry, NJ
              Terry, NJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Because these problems had a clear beginning in time. I didn't have them before the rear end job, I can go back to what I did and the only front end part I disturbed was the wishbone ball, so that's where I'll start. I took the Trans out for indicating. The gas problems (And I'm pretty sure it is gas) also include a leaky carb (Which it didn't do before I took the rear out) So, in addition to the brakes, I now have these problems to chase.
              Terry