Pressure Plate Surface Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Plate Surface Rust

I bought this rebuilt pressure plate at an auction last year for $10. It has some surface rust on the clutch surface, not alot. How would be the best way to deal with this. Looking at it I am doubtful it would cause much of a problem if it does not get any worse. Thinking just put some ATF on it til I am ready to use it unless someone has a good suggestion to get rid of the rust without messing up the surface. Rod
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Hey, don't do a thing. Install it and run it. If you want to hang it on the wall, ATF would work, just make a note of it having ATF on it on the tag you nail to it.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Rowdy
      Rowdy

Banished  Badge Holder

Rowdy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Wiz. I don't hang many parts on the wall, but have a few large cabinets and a locker out of the UP roundhouse that was in North Platte that I put parts in. Will definately note to clean surface with brake cleaner before installing. I stored away the other 2 pressure plates I am keeping. Will get this one put away tomorrow. Rod

Clean it with a scotch pad and spray it with WD40. Clean with solvent before using.
    Bill
    http://www.brauchauto.com/
    Eastern Connecticut

Comment

LIGHT RUST will ENHANCE the GRIP & LAY A BLACK MARK--LOL---I laid 2 BLACK marks with Minerva & Gregg sprayed them with 4 coats of CLEAR, to preserve them!!---GOD, how I miss him.
      Dad

Comment

Light rust can be removed with oxalic acid (OA) mixed in water. Works fantastic and does not remove paint. You can buy it in powder form at hardware supply stores or on-line...it's used as a wood deck cleaner.

I've seen a rusty bicycle frame placed in a kiddy pool of OA...out came a rust free frame with the original paint and decals still on it. It was waxed and looked great.

This is completely safe and environmentaly friendly. Take the left over OA and put it in your garden, your tomatoes will love it. After all, OA is derived from vegetables.

I now always have OA on hand. You need to experiment with how much to use. Start with about a tablespoon of OA mixed into a gallon or water. Let your part sit in the mixture for a while, an hour or a few hours. If you mix it too strong or let it sit too long then a yellowish film will form on your part and its hard to remove. Experiment for yourself as to what works best.

Sounds too good to be true? Most people disregard this info as 'fake' when I share this little secret. Now you know.
        Ayyy
        Last edited by Ayyy; 04-22-2018, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Four Zero (0000) steel wool and WD-40, rubbed in circular motions ....... then seriously look for some other Model A part to tackle.
          H. L. Chauvin
          Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-22-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

• Rowdy
            Rowdy

Banished  Badge Holder

Rowdy commented
            Editing a comment
            Coated the machined surface with ATF, covered with wax paper, put in a box and stored away about 2 hrs ago. Then took the pile of front backing plates to the car wash and got rid of barn dust etc. Letting them dry right now, then taking pic's of each set to list later today. Maybe I will get back to work on the delivery this summer. Rod

You already took action; phosphoric acid (Ospho and other brands) would make quick work of it, along with some steel wool. Then you would have a coating of iron phosphate which would preserve it for years without any further treatment

Comment

I use a 1/4 sheet electric sander to clean my pressure plates and flywheel working surfaces.

Comment

I used a worn wire wheel in an angle grinder - does the circular motion for you. Then coated in a light gun oil.

Comment

Many years ago I was working on a .22/.410 gun. Bead blasted the barrel and sprayed with WD-40, wrapped in paper, returned to rust a couple of weeks later. WD-40 is good on tar and bug stains, thats it

Comment

Yea wd-40 is good for removing grease off your hands and stickers and SHOULD be collecting dust in your garage. Should definitely stay the heck outa locks and guns. All it does is collect dust and get very gummy and not good for small pieces..
                  SeaSlugs
                  Last edited by SeaSlugs; 04-24-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I have not used WD-40 for anything in 20+ years. There are far superior products out there for almost everything. Rod
                    "Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." Thomas Sowell

Comment

I so agree. WD-40 is just awful stuff,

Comment

2-0 steel wool on a palm sander that has a stick on pad. Then compressed air to remove all chards.

Comment

I just use a da orbital sander 1000 grit will knock the rust and leave a nice finish then coat it so it does not rust again

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• BillLee/Chandler, TX
                          Clutch matters...
                          BillLee/Chandler, TX
                          by BillLee/Chandler, TX
                          My car has a lightened flywheel and a V8 clutch. It came that way from an engine build from the mid-80's. The pressure plate has some chunks of steel welded on it, apparently for balancing. Note in the picture the slug of steel welded in at about the 9 o'clock position, and another welded into the hole over the spring at about the 3:30 position. I haven't looked closely (yet) to see if there is any...
                          11-05-2018, 11:39 AM
                        • conaway2
                          Cleaning up a 1931 License Plate
                          conaway2
                          by conaway2
                          I just acquired a 1931 plate that’s in pretty good overall condition, but it does have some surface rust. Any suggestions for removing the rust without damaging the original paint ??? I don’t want to repaint the plate.

thanks - JIm
                          02-03-2020, 08:33 AM
                        • Ayyy
                          Clutch Pressure Plate: New vs. Rebuilt Original...Which Do You Recommend?
                          Ayyy
                          by Ayyy
                          I'll be replacing the clutch in the next few weeks. My stock pressure plate options seem to be either a brand new one, or a rebuilt unit. Which type do you prefer?

For reference, this is Bert's New Pressure Plate:
                          https://parts.modelastore.com/show_Product.asp?ID=13103...
                          04-09-2018, 08:22 PM
                        • 1930 Closed Cab PU
                          Throtttle Plate Replacement
                          1930 Closed Cab PU
                          Self Banished, on FB
                          by 1930 Closed Cab PU
                          Thought this was going to be simple/easy - . Sigh
                          Noticed my rebuilt Carb does not have the correct throttle plate.
                          Nothing is making any sense. Without really studying this before figured take a couple of screws out, remove old plate, put new plate in and add the screws.

Picture 1 is the replacement Plate, notice there is no way to put a shaft through it....
                          This gallery has 6 photos.
                          04-14-2019, 04:55 PM
                        • ClaudeC
                          working of 1933 clutch plates
                          ClaudeC
                          by ClaudeC
                          Just starting to adjust the play on my clutch pedal, but I have a more basic question.
                          Clutch design requires two friction plates right, that are brought together to engage the drive train.
                          Where do both of these friction plates attach/bolt to?
                          07-14-2019, 11:50 AM
                        • Jedmundcars
                          What kind of tag do you run?
                          Jedmundcars
                          by Jedmundcars
                          Wondering what kind of tag veteran Model A’ers like to use? Here in NC it is legal to use the year of the vehicle...
                          07-04-2019, 03:13 PM
                        • 1930artdeco
                          rust powder
                          1930artdeco
                          Banned
                          by 1930artdeco
                          Hi All,

After I get done with the valves I would like to soak the block and head with something to remove the rust powder so I can start with a clean block. Already cleaned the radiator out. I was thinking of blocking off the inlet and then pouring in some evaporust and letting it soak and then draining it. any other ideas?

Mike...
                          03-18-2019, 09:47 PM
                        • Jim Mason
                          preservation
                          Jim Mason
                          by Jim Mason
                          I have a late Tudor that I would like to knock down the surface rust on. I'm not going to restore it for some time, so I just need to knock the surface rust down, without removing the original finishes (what's left). I then need to prevent the rusts return. this process would be similar to the preservation of a low mileage original. what process is used on the low mileage cars for surface rust...
                          03-18-2018, 10:22 PM
                        • Great Lakes Greg
                          V8 Pressure Plate
                          Great Lakes Greg
                          by Great Lakes Greg
                          I have always used the V8 pressure plates with lightened fly wheels, counter balanced crank. Will the plate work with a completely stock flywheel / crank setup?...
                          04-01-2021, 10:47 AM
                        • rheacox
                          Pressure Plate Finger Adjustment
                          rheacox
                          by rheacox
                          What would be considered an acceptable tolerance when adjusting pressure plate fingers? I had suspected something was off when reassembling everything after putting the new engine in and recently the clutch started to chatter. Turns out none of the adjusting nuts were staked and all of the fingers were around 3/16”-1/4” … way off the 11/16” that they should be. The kicker is the note that...
                          05-08-2019, 03:00 PM
                        Working...
                        X