Wobbly crank drive pulley.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbly crank drive pulley.

I need some pointers on replacing a crank pulley. I have a two-piece now. Which is best 1 or 2 piece? I need to replace the front crank/pan oil seal also. What parts do I need?
    Phil

Phil, I replaced a 2 piece with a 1 piece cast pulley. It is easy removing the 2 piece, but a PIA reinstalling the 1 piece as you need to remove the radiator and jack up the front of the engine to clear the front cross member.

I would suggest getting a paper pan gasket set and change all the pan gaskets if you really need to replace the rope gasket. I soak the rear cork in water for a few days and the front rope in oil for a few days and have had no leaks, like someone else does (Beauford). Do not skimp the red Permatex on the cork gasket and when you tighten the pan up, do it in 3 steps working from front to back to give the cork a chance to ease the water out and conform to the pan lip.

One other thing about the pan gasket. After you finish laying on your back to clean the block of all the old gasket, set the pan gasket with Permatex and when you are ready to install it, grease the top to meet the block, this will result in easier removal of the gasket from the block IF it is ever needed again.

Also, purchase the pan hanger clips to reinstall the pan, the pan weighs a ton, or seems that when you are on your back trying to install the bolts, this will hold it up for you. One other thing, find a 1/8" pipe plug and drill a hole in it and tap it for your favorite bolt. Use this instead of the 3/8x24 bolt as suggested by others, it will be used to hold the oil pump up while installing the pan and won't bugger the threads that are NOT 3/8x24, but are 1/8 pipe.

https://www.brattons.com/catalogsear...il+pan+snap+on

https://www.brattons.com/oil-pan-paper-gasket.html
    Last edited by DaWizard; 04-17-2018, 12:57 AM.
    VFF Recruiter

YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

There is way too much month left at the end of my retirement check.

"CENSORED" over there!!
    Not just Censored, BANNED!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
      It is easy removing the 2 piece, but a PIA reinstalling the 1 piece as you need to remove the radiator and jack up the front of the engine to clear the front cross member.
      Wiz, this is exactly why I prefer the 2 piece. There is no such thing as just removing the radiator. You have to remove the hood, the hood rods, the headlite wiring, the grill shell, then the rad.

There are a couple styles of the 2 piece out there. I prefer the type with the machined notches. If this is properly tightened, and checked for tightness, it will last a long time. The pulley MUST protrude past the front of the crank else it won't be tight. If the slinger were left off this can be one reason the pulley will slide on too far

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Phil we have an oil pan gasket tutorial in the PT tech area. I prefer the 2 piece pulley as well with cork gaskets. We use spray trim adhesive to hold the gasket up on the block. To soak or not soak is also debateable. It’s kinda like which coffee do you drink and how do you take it.

Seal the threads on the front pan bolts that are not blind holes in the timing cover

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...-engine-topics

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        x3 here on the two piece pulley

• George Miller
        George Miller commented
        Editing a comment
        I do it like Mitch, works for me

• dmdeaton
        dmdeaton commented
        Editing a comment
        You can also make 4 studs out of screws with the heads cut off. Cutoff wheel a slot in the tops of each and screw them in the corners of the block. This helps align the gasket and pan as you are putting in place.

If you do go the route of the one piece pulley, be sure to get one of the "billet" pulleys. You won't ever have to replace it again.
      Alaskan A's
      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
      Model A Ford Club of America
      Model A Restorers Club
      Antique Automobile Club of America
      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point Carl and once is enough

I replaced my wobbly 2 piece pulley with a 1 piece. Yes it is more work, but since I had the radiator off and was staring at the timing cover, I removed it to completely insect the timing gear. Found one broken tooth so replaced timing gear at same time. Lucky for me I decided on one piece pulley!

Comment

• JDupuis
        JDupuis commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the VFF.

Hey ahirt, WELCOME too the VFF!!

That is the reason I suggested the one piece, figured he would have the front all apart with changing the rope gasket.
      VFF Recruiter

YOU JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

There is way too much month left at the end of my retirement check.

"CENSORED" over there!!
      Not just Censored, BANNED!!

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        But then you need to plan for the future tear downs
    Working...
    X