Farm auction in central Kansas

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farm auction in central Kansas

I was just looking at an A that was sold at a farm auction.Looks to be solid,and mostly straight.Said to run,but still a barn car.It brought $8300.I had seen guys discussing it on other forums,,they were thinking it might fetch $1500.if the auctioneer was lucky.The shocker was the 48 Harley parked next to it.Also a barn bike,but brought $33,750.I was just kind of surprised that things that were not usually in that kind of auction actually brought real money.

LOL auctions create a feeding frenzy. The tone and rapid manner of speech are deliberate and have a lot to do with sweeping you in. At any auction I have ever gone to the final prices were substantially more than I personally felt were realistic. I went to a gas station auction years ago looking at the compressor. I had priced new to be prepared. The darn thing went for way more a new one cost. I stopped bidding early

Comment

You also have to watch the bidding crowd at the same time. The auctioneer can be pointing and accepting bids from a phantom bidder or a plant in the crowd. When going to auctions it’s prudent to always face the bidding audience.
      2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Jeff/Illinois
        Jeff/Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Exactly what I do. A local auctioneer is famous for pulling bids out of thin air. Pointing to someone who is not there. As Mitch says, good idea to stand in front and watch the crowd. Some times the auctioneer has a shill bidder planted to run the price up. In that case it is hard to tell.

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        With that being said there is an ass for every seat.. lol

Pictures are now on the discussion forums of Yesterdays Tractors,under tractor tales.

Comment

Originally posted by tbirdtbird View Post
        LOL auctions create a feeding frenzy. The tone and rapid manner of speech are deliberate and have a lot to do with sweeping you in. At any auction I have ever gone to the final prices were substantially more than I personally felt were realistic. I went to a gas station auction years ago looking at the compressor. I had priced new to be prepared. The darn thing went for way more a new one cost. I stopped bidding early
        oh yes always entertains me. You must be a jack of all trades to know the approx value of almost anything to know when to stop bidding. Every auction ive been to theres always something that goes way high... I saw a non running locked up chain saw bring $35, people bidding $12-$15 on used harbor freight angle grinders that are always $10 new in the store, all sorts of things. Then things you think will bring big money dont. but things you wouldn't think bring very much people get in a bidding war. I always accidentally buy way more than i thought i was bidding on and come home with a table top full of stuff. Sometimes good - always get my moneys worth for sure.

Comment

Haha, well
          "more than I personally felt were realistic" may not qualify as knowing the actual value of something, but I have a personal limit set on anything I am interested in before the bidding starts.

There was a vintage copper tub Maytag gasoline powered washing machine at an auction at Zagray. I had no idea of what an appraisal would be, but I had my personal limit. I was bidding against a woman who just had to have it, and she went nuts, so I just backed off.
          I am thinking that out in the midwest these may not be that rare, but whatever. I never did buy one, got too much junk now!

Comment

I've come across item on eBay that had a "Buy Now" price. Never sold after more than one re-listing. Then the seller started a 'Penny Bid" and the item sold way more than the "Buy Now" price asked more than once. Go figure!!!!
            "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

Working...
            X