floaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• floaters

Well, here I am. Took me awhile, but computers are not my favorite form of communication.

I've got a question. Why didn't anybody mention floaters when I was doing my brakes? I haven't bought and installed them yet, but just the idea of more uniform brake shoe contact in those front brakes makes a lot of sense. I would assume that with floaters installed, the majority of my brake pressure will switch from the rear to the front.
    I know that I'm going to get a lot of crap from you purists, but if bolt-on things improve things like braking, I'm all for them.
    Another thing, I'd like to put a turn signal mechanism in my A, but I haven't been able to find just the 12V switch with a flasher relay. Any ideas?

Mike

I've never tried floaters, but a couple guys in our club tried them and removed them. I've never felt they were needed once the brakes are correctly fixed.

There is a turn signal company in Blaine, MN that sells an excellent unit. You can buy the relay and switch without buying the lights, if you want to.
    Last summer I wrote about this unit after I installed one for a friend, and I think it's in the tech section.

Comment

Originally posted by wingski View Post
      I know that I'm going to get a lot of crap from you purists, but if bolt-on things improve things like braking, I'm all for them
      First, I doubt anyone would give you crap over floaters

Second,
      with floaters installed, the majority of my brake pressure will switch from the rear to the front.
      Not really.

Comment

Well wingski, WELCOME to the VFF!!

This isn't the place to bash you for doing what you want to your car. This is the place to get straight answers to the questions you ask. These answers will be factual from someone who has tried it, not some chair jockey who watches Youtube all day for their information.
        "We do not stop playing because we grow old;
        We grow old because we stop playing ...
        NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

Comment

Welcome MIke to the VFF!
          I moved your post to the general Model A discussion forum. You had it posted in one of our VFF technical / workshop areas. Take a few minutes to read the welcome stickies in each of those specialty areas. These stickies will help explain what is going on in those forums. Feel free to contact me if you need any navigational assistance, I'm always happy to help.
          You will get opinions regarding your brake question for and against, but I doubt you will get crap from the purists. You will find that here on the VFF, we can offer opinions without demeaning the poster. I realize you have your guard up from the beating you recently received, so thanks for giving the VFF a chance.. This is the thread in our electrical reference area that Tom was mentioning. I copied it here for you

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...al-review-info
          1~1931 Tudor ~ Dad
          2~1930 Tudor's ~ Lucy & Paul

Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Well, here I am. Took me awhile, but computers are not my favorite form of communication.

I've got a question. Why didn't anybody mention floaters when I was doing my brakes? I haven't bought and installed them yet, but just the idea of more uniform brake shoe contact in those front brakes makes a lot of sense. I would assume that with floaters installed, the majority of my brake pressure will switch from the rear to the front.
          I know that I'm going to get a lot of crap from you purists, but if bolt-on things improve things like braking, I'm all for them.
          Another thing, I'd like to put a turn signal mechanism in my A, but I haven't been able to find just the 12V switch with a flasher relay. Any ideas?

Mike
          Hey Mike, welcome! OK I'll take a stab at all this.

1) Likely no-one mentioned floaters during your brake work because properly rebuilt "A" brakes can easily lock all four at 30mph. That said, Henry was cheap, and went with Lockheed type non-self energizing brakes to avoid royalties for use of Bendix design brakes, like on the Lincoln. Unfortunately the result of this is brakes that require a bit more 'fiddlin' to keep them in prime shape. Back then brake bias was rearward, not to the front. The A brakes actually do float a bit in the back, but not the front. Model A brake bias is controlled by lever lengths and starting position or angularity. There is limited adjust-ability. Front floaters that add some self-energizing action and thus increase front braking bias have been around in various aftermarket designs since the A first rolled off the line.

If your brakes are now PROPERLY restored that is no loss. If you want floaters you would have to do all that FIRST anyway. Floaters are not a fix for lousy brakes. I've tried three different types, one type that eliminated the roller tracks and rollers completely! I'll let others pontificate on which are best or what works for them.

2) You won't get crap from purists here unless you give them crap! Everybody has their own thing and bias, from fine-point perfection to highly modified. No thought police like Russia, China, or the 'over there' site on the web. You'll like it here.

3) Turn signals. Plenty of ideas. That's like asking what is your favorite tool. You can get a non-electronic simple mechanical lever type switch completely pre-wired into a replacement harness (signal-stat 900) or any of several electronic box types with small or hidden switches. You may want to wander through the electrical sub-forum here and vendors catalogs/ websites then ask about the plus and minuses of each.

4) Hope you've had better luck with "Mike" than I have. 'Till I was 12 my nickname was "Hey!, Stupid!!"

Comment

• DaWizard
            DaWizard commented
            Editing a comment
            It's only since he turned 13 and his voice dropped that we stopped calling him that!!

No one will give you crap, even if you're at the very end of the bell curve.
          If you ask an opinion, they will give it to you.

Comment

One option is to get a std. 2or 3 pole 12 volt flasher from NAPA or Rock Auto,etc. wire the cowl lights or other lights in the front and the rear tail lights (double filament at the brake lights bulbs) and run thru an on-off-on switch from a parts store or Radio Shack if in your area. One side of the switch is for the left side and the other for the passenger side, center off position. You can search this site for wiring diagrams, etc. if needed to run your own wiring. The power wire can run to the ignition switch or to the j box on the firewall, an option that you choose, short of buying a multi prewired column mounted switch.
            BTW, folks on the VFF are very sincere in trying to learn from others and also passing on some experiences which may help keep our cars roadworthy.
            Last edited by plyfor; 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Mike,
              Sorry I didn't address your E-Mail inquiry about floaters, I "thought" you were talking about EYE FLOATERS, like the fuzzy, brown one, in my Left Eye. I picked it up somehow??? while in a Re-Hab.---At another RE-HAB, I brought home a high pitched "chirp" in my Left Ear, even!---And if you ask WHY I've been in SO MANY Re-Habs, I won't answer you, only The Dogknows FO' SHO'--LOL
              For the front brakes, those available floater pins that replace the one that holds the wedge, helps quite a lot. Old timers like GURU CLAUDE (RIP!) knew how to re-grind the stock ones, to work well. I never tried it, as I can't even sharpen Drill Bits, that will CUT!!!---I have a .022" jet drill bit, wunder if anyone could sharpen it for me?
              Getting back to FLOATERS, Minerva had SURE-STOP-EQUALIZERS, in her front brakes. I liked them, they eliminate the actuating wedge & I "feel" they apply even more pressure & also help in centering the shoes.
              They had been available from Sacramento Vintage Ford, but someone recently said he had bought the LAST set from them. Call their 800 number (IT'S THEIR NICKEL!) & see if they can still get them!--Proper shortening of the operating pin is a MUST, as in the instructions! "Someone" didn't shorten Minervas' pins & the rod clevises were on by about TWO, yes "2" threads!!! And I wuz driving her in the BIG MOUNTAINS, that way!! I about soiled my SKIVIES when I found them that way! I was just getting ready to do about a 200 Mile trip, to Hollister, for a show! I TOOK MY DODGE KADOTA, INSTEAD!!
              Everybodys' KDad
              Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 04-17-2018, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Hey Mike, Glad to see you finally joined the VFF. So Welcome Buddy! Hope to see lots more of you here.
                We have more fun emojis here too! Jeff

Comment

Wingski I got a switch from Tyree Harris it is only a small toggle switch which you can use instead of one of the big turn signal accessory units he also did a new wiring harness set up for signals mine are in the tail light and the cowl lights.

Comment

Here's the turn signal parts we've used for a few cars. The flasher is not LED compatible.
                    (reduce the image size for clarity).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by plyfor; 04-17-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I hope you all understand how appreciative I am for your replies. Not a single negative response in the bunch. Mitch, you are right about me being forum shy after my previous experiences. I love direct answers. No if's, and's, or but's. If I don't know an answer to a question, I'm sure as hell not going to put up a response. I'll try to become more active on the forum.

Mike

Comment

• Mitch
                        Mitch commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It's all good Mike
                        We also have a chit chat area for off topic things. jokes, recipes, or any other BS. Just mentioning it.

• BNCHIEF
                        BNCHIEF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ask a question that is how we all learn.

Welcome Mike,

Brake floaters: I have had a set of Flathead Ted's floaters for 6 years or so. They are, however, still in the box on the shelf. When I had my brakes rebuilt by Randy Gross, he said that I didn't need them, so for now they are still in the box on the shelf.

Turn Signals: Right after I bought my pickup, I ordered the modified Signal Stat 900 and sundry wiring from Sacramento Vintage Ford. That has been a very successful addition. At the time, I also bought the RH tail light and the modified cowl lights (with dual filament bulbs) that I use for the turn signals. The tail lights have been converted to all red LEDs that operate like the modern lights that people are use to seeing.
                      Alaskan A's
                      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
                      Model A Ford Club of America
                      Model A Restorers Club
                      Antique Automobile Club of America
                      Mullins Owners Club

Comment