Model A Tool Display Box

Collapse
    X
    • Filter
    • Time
    • Show
    Clear All

• Model A Tool Display Box

I have a 1930 Model A Town Sedan and now have collected the tools, jack, etc. that came with the car, now I would like to display them along with the car. I am in search of someone to make a wooden folding case to contain them, I have seen them in shows but not recently. The Model A club listed a man , Sewall Tyler, as a supplier of these, I contacted him and he was very Ill at the time and has recently passed, so now I am in search of another maker. I do not belong to the Model A Club of America so I can't post a question there. I may be handy enough to make the box myself but need the complete correct dimensions, any information someone could give me would greatly appreciated I will attach a picture of the box if this site allows, Thanks

Bob Meyer
      Model A Tool Display Box

Bob Welcome to the VFF

Wow I did not know that Sewall had passed away. That is shocking news,, may he RIP. Sewall was selling them through Bratton's, as they had them listed on their website. Did you try contacting them to see if they had any left? Depending on your skills many people make their own cases.
      Mitch
      2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
      "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Sewalls' son Thomas contacted me by email to inform me of his passing from a massive stroke in Jan., I had been in contact with Sewall by email and spoke to his wife on the phone in Dec ,he was having health issues then. Thomas told me in a email he could make a box for me but he couldn't start working on it for several months, so far 2 phone messages and 3 email to Thomas have gone unanswered. I didn't know Bratton carried them I don't remember seeing them in the catalog but I will try them. I am OK at wood working so I could probably make the box myself.

Comment

Hey Bobm, WELCOME to the VFF!!
          VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
          We grow old because we stop playing ...
          NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

Thanks for the welcome guys !! I called Bratton's, Macs, Mikes and Snyder's - no luck Bratton hasn't had them in awhile. I will attempt making one myself if I get the dimensions, the case itself seems simple I am not sure what the inside is made from, looks like pool table felt with something under it.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              You can also get a peg board for the back ground, paint it and use wag straps to hold the tools. Mine is non folding like that
              Can post pics tonight if you're interested

Great Thought Mitch, yes I would like to see the pictures when you get a chance, I am still finding my way around your site - this is a GREAT place thanks for letting all of us use it.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bob, enjoy the VFF. We have a great group of knowledgeable folks here as you found out.

The weekend of the 28th @April will be our one year Anniversary. We're having an online bash so don't miss it. Tonight I'll post up some photos of my tool case

Seems like the tire pump plus 1” give you the ID L, lay out the jack parts and go from there. Find a pool table for the green felt.

Like to tell folks Henry was ahead of his time when they ask about my GPS. It looks like the same goes for Velcro. LoL

Comment

• CarlG
              CarlG commented
              Editing a comment
              Just this week I was asked if my GPS was "original equipment"

• BNCHIEF
              BNCHIEF commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell them they have a choice gps or the wife reads the map, I'm goin with GPS she tries to correct it too. And no she does not read this forum.

• Bobm90
              Bobm90 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks rider, I think the tool kit for the 30 Model A contained a divining rod as standard equiptment, LOL.

Bob
            Here are the pics of my case. It has a plexiglass shield and a Model A hood handle to carry it.

2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Nice idea Mitch, this is doable, thanks for posting it.

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                It might be a little more bulkier than a fold up but it's easy to make. When transporting it, I usually put it on the back floor and face the glass towards the seat. One reason is the wag straps won't rub the seat material.

I know Sewall supplied his with a cover made from a sewed moving blanket, might work for you no danger of damage to car or box.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks that is a good idea. I could even make a slit for the handle

Just don't let the guys know you know how to sew

Comment

Working...
              X