Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Write something ......

FWIW: "If" we think about it:

There are instructors and instructors ...... there are teachers and teachers ....... some less effective snob teachers want students to say nothing and just listen to Mr. or Mrs. "Know-it-all" ....... others who are more compassionately concerned , ask students for comments ....... usually the student who is brave enough to ask a question, or make a comment, this student's coming forward action usually causes a discussion which delves deeply into the subject where the entire class learns lots more.

In looking at the end of every VFF post, Mr. Mitch is asking ...... "Write something" ....... in other words, just let us all throw it out on the table ...... do not just sit there and agree or disagree ...... he is asking everyone to share thousands of varied good or bad Model A experiences ........ in my opinion, this is what is known as an instructor who wants everyone to learn from actual meaningful shared Model A knowledge and learning experiences.

On this VFF Forum, when one sees: .......... "Write something" ..... why hold it in?

Some will agree, some will not agree ...... it could be similar to going in a cafeteria ...... if you see liver and/or spinach, and don't like it ............ tell us you prefer a pig's foot on wild rice with a Limburger cheese sauce, topped with chopped parsley and walnuts ...... this will no doubt turn into an interesting Model A subject that everyone will smile while reading same and learning something

Just commenting!.

Much agree. Being a Maintenance trainer at work, nothing is more frus2trating than a tech will not ask questions when learning the technical part of training. I usually have to leave problems open ended to encourage questions. I have found those that ask the questions stay and succeed and those that don't wash out within 6-14 months. I do not always have a cut and dry answer, but normally have a source to get something close. When dealing with modern electronics with interconnected inputs and outputs you sometimes have to look at all of the sources of inputs and it may not be what the manuals suggest. So learning the system is essential when the manual fails to provide an answer.​​​​​ Rod
    At some point in time standardization was a creative idea.

Comment

I too, agree! Going back 8 years ago, when I bought my first A, I thought I knew a lot. After all, I had actually worked with two AA trucks as a kid on my dad's cousin's farm. But I never fixed them, never was allowed to drive them, only ride in them and help load them, Big Deal! But I thought I knew a lot. I didn't know squat. I thought that model A's were easy to work on. (they aren't) I thought they were simply and cheaply made.(They weren't) I was struck when I saw a print for wood parts that called out for a plus or minus .010 tolerance, On Wood! Henry was a Toolmaker and it showed. There wouldn't have been such a high survival rate had it been less. But when I bought my first A (I have three now) I knew none of this. It's because of asking questions on forums such as this that I know anything. I wish I knew what I know now and I wouldn't have bought the first one. I saved it, But.......
      Terry

Comment

Yup I agree, the only dumb question is the one you did not ask. I have been swinging wrench's for 50+ yrs. Reading all the comments here, I know very little about the model A. So glad I am here, the knowledge is unbelievable.

My thanks to every one.

Comment

Having only been a Model A owner for a few years, I have a lot of experience dealing with and in Model As that I'd love write about . Unfortunately none of it is mechanical!!!
          "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• H. L. Chauvin
            H. L. Chauvin commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmmm ....... It is not always mechanical Model A experiences, sometimes Model A owner's shared electrical experiences are also interesting! LOL

• Apple Green Wheels Rule
            Editing a comment
            True....some of my experiences have come as a shock to my physical well being !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Originally posted by Apple Green Wheels Rule View Post
          True....some of my experiences have come as a shock to my physical well being !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
          Yes, and isn't it good to know that you are driving around in your own personal defibrillator? Next time you open the hood with it running, just place a hand on the top of a spark plug, now lean against the fender!!
          VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
          We grow old because we stop playing ...
          NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

• Mitch
            Mitch commented
            Editing a comment
            While standing in a puddle of water with no shoes on..

• Easty
            Easty commented
            Editing a comment
            Didn't we all know some kid that got talked into pissing on an electric fence when we were kids?

Well said H.L. The most insignificant question will usually lead to an informative thread. It’s these type of posts that we learn the most from.
          2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

As far as illusions of Model A electrical shocks mentioned above, I had a grammar school principal call me to report that his kindergarten and first grade children in his school were having a blast while peeing upwards into his newly installed electric hand driers and watching his low-mounted hand driers create smoke.

After visiting the site, I told him to let his kids and teachers know that electricity could possibly run backwards and burn off their lil' Willy.

He next asked me to accompany him to his office where he got on his public address system and reported to the entire grammar school what I said ..... verbatim!

He later called me a few days later to let me know his grammar school teachers commented that with his raw announcement, his teachers were shocked; however, his hand driers never smoked afterwards.
            Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 04-16-2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment

I like the new turbocharged hand driers that actually can blow the water off your hands.

Those old wimpy ones were nothing more than hand warmers.

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post

Yes, and isn't it good to know that you are driving around in your own personal defibrillator? Next time you open the hood with it running, just place a hand on the top of a spark plug, now lean against the fender!!
              I may not be a mechanneck but I'm not that stupid!!!!

"Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• DaWizard
                DaWizard commented
                Editing a comment
                Actually, as long as only one hand is touching the spark plug wire, no harm will come to you. It is when you get your leg closer than the gap on the plug that you will have the jumping willies!!

We had a tech school rookie come in here once. My guys asked him to hold the vacuum in one of the spark plug wire boots with his thumb. Then they cranked it
              2 1930 Tudors

Henry Ford said
              "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

I've seen some really DUMB questions asked & I'm sure you have, also!---Like, "WHICHAWAY do you turn the radumator cap, to remove it????----Or, "What duz the "F" & "L" mean on the dipstick"???----Dipshits Abound---I can FORGIVE anything, except STUPID
                Dad

Comment

Working...
                X