Brakes Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes Finished

Thanks for the advice on the tracks on the front backing plates. I took them into where I used to work and my tool maker lead came by and caught me using the TIG welder to build up the tracks. When I explained what I needed to do, he would not hear of me filing and using my dremel to finish them. He set them up on the CNC machining center, homed on the line between the two rivets and machined the track to exactly the 1.3125 dimension parallel line. Pretty good service.

I must say that working with the car on car stands and not taking off the axle/king pin is a real bitch getting the backing plate off and back on. The last person on the car put the bolts in backwards. And getting to them (could not use a socket I had for the rear two bolts) especially to put in the cotter pins lying on your back and reaching around parts was a real bitch. Also could not find any "pills" so I had to make some up from some sheet stock and dimple them. Almost as much time as redoing the brakes.

Finally back together and I feel comfortable letting this car go to a new owner now. Thanks for the advice from many.

Rich

Sometimes i put a little glob of weld on the brake pin instead of the pills.. Then adjust as needed on a grinding wheel
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Rich,
      You mentioned "pills"--The question is, did you find your "ANTI-PAIN-PILLS" after you were finished wrangling those backing plate BOLTS/NUTS/COTTER KEYS?
      Bill Painless

Comment

Bill, Unfortunately I am already at the point where Alieve and I are best of friends on most days. The longest task was cutting out the small rounds of plate then punching in the radius by punching them into a nut held in a vise. Had to make about double what I needed, as many punched off center and would not have been a good match. Something you can buy for about twenty cents but need immediately is pretty frustrating.

Comment

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          Flathead Ted demonstrates how to make your own pills. When I did the brakes on my car I ordered the pills from Snyder's, but I wouldn't use that method and would recommend welding the end of the rod and grinding it to a sphere to get the correct length and 15 degree angle of the actuating shaft arm.

http://www.flatheadted.com/index.php...d=22&Itemid=34

Naproxin at W/Mart cheaper than Alieve and works just as good. I take 2 each morning :p:::.
        Paul in CT

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Roadster Rich
          Brake Track Replace or Repair
          by Roadster Rich
          Trying to get this Town Sedan ready for the buyer. Agreed to get good running engine only, but now he wants it to drive in a parade in mid August. The brakes are pretty bad and I have to at least get it safe for a little while for him to use. All this effort and cost and no change in the sale price, but I guess that is par for the course when you sell to a friend.

I have some pictures...
          07-08-2017, 01:29 PM
        • pAAt
          Caster and braking
          by pAAt
          Caster seems to be good, but brakes are locking up and pulling to one side !
          06-14-2017, 10:37 PM
        • 40B1930
          Operating Pin Shim
          by 40B1930
          Seriously - does one need to remove the front backing plate to add one shim (pill)? I tried needle nose pliers to lift the pin up far enough to slip one in and no luck. Thanks for any suggestions....
          07-22-2018, 10:01 AM
        • ahirt
          Front Brake Operating Pin
          by ahirt
          So can anyone tell me why this operating Pin that I removed while redoing the brakes is almost 7 1/4 inches long? Other side was correct length.
          08-18-2018, 02:14 PM
        • Beauford
          Rear radius
          by Beauford
          While putting in some new backing plate bolts releasing the rear radius they now do not want to line up with the holes. How is this possible?? I tried removing large center bolt which did not help so I re-attached and was able to get drivers side done but had to use a pry bar at rear between backing plate and V in radius for the top bolt to go in. The passenger side is way off more on top hole of...
          12-25-2017, 05:43 PM
        • Cape Codder
          Brake Adjuster Frozen
          by Cape Codder
          Brakes were running pretty hot so tried to adjust the right rear one. Could not budge the adjuster even with an extension bar. Took drum off to find nothing wrong with the brakes, main or emergency. Tried to move adjuster again with no results.

Removed backer plate and put adjuster square in large vise, while putting mount bolts back in backer plate to try and turn backer plate. End...
          08-10-2017, 07:38 PM
        • CM2
          I know better,that's what hurts the most.
          by CM2
          When I'm waiting parts for the engine I've been going through the front brakes.Like everything else on this chassis the brakes were done first class,woven linings, cast drums, shoes arc'ed and centered professionally,new rollers,roller tracks you name it..On disassembly the only thing it could use were floaters...a fool proof little upgrade,simple as can be.I ran out of Ford engine green doing the...
          01-17-2018, 08:41 PM
        • DaWizard
          Strange to me Brakes
          by DaWizard
          Well, I have run across two Model A's with the same type of brakes that I don't know who makes them and why they would even do such a thing.

Unfortunately I have not pulled the drums to see how they actually adjust, nor have I taken pictures.

But here is a description; The differences I can see are there is an external "jam nut" on the 7/16 adjuster shaft. There
          06-29-2018, 12:09 PM
        • copgib
          Mechanical Brakes
          by copgib
          Ok by now everyone knows I am going to put mechanical brakes on my 1930 Model A. I just got home from a 14-hour drive and looked under my car to take some photos of what was left after someone put hydraulic brakes on the back. Any and all input is welcomed, good or bad. Hugh
          05-08-2018, 08:01 PM
        • carolinamudwalker
          Hydralic brakes
          by carolinamudwalker
          Has anyone had any experience with MT Bowling brothers brake kits? I drive my car at a steady 55mph, it is very comfortable at that speed and straight as an arrow with the radial tires. I feel that I am out running my brake system. Part of it is age related. When changing from my modern with a very soft pedal to the model A it takes quit some time to mentally adjust Bottom line I just am not...
          06-09-2018, 06:53 AM
        Working...
        X