Brakes Finished

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes Finished

Thanks for the advice on the tracks on the front backing plates. I took them into where I used to work and my tool maker lead came by and caught me using the TIG welder to build up the tracks. When I explained what I needed to do, he would not hear of me filing and using my dremel to finish them. He set them up on the CNC machining center, homed on the line between the two rivets and machined the track to exactly the 1.3125 dimension parallel line. Pretty good service.

I must say that working with the car on car stands and not taking off the axle/king pin is a real bitch getting the backing plate off and back on. The last person on the car put the bolts in backwards. And getting to them (could not use a socket I had for the rear two bolts) especially to put in the cotter pins lying on your back and reaching around parts was a real bitch. Also could not find any "pills" so I had to make some up from some sheet stock and dimple them. Almost as much time as redoing the brakes.

Finally back together and I feel comfortable letting this car go to a new owner now. Thanks for the advice from many.

Rich

Sometimes i put a little glob of weld on the brake pin instead of the pills.. Then adjust as needed on a grinding wheel
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

Rich,
      You mentioned "pills"--The question is, did you find your "ANTI-PAIN-PILLS" after you were finished wrangling those backing plate BOLTS/NUTS/COTTER KEYS?
      Bill Painless

Comment

Bill, Unfortunately I am already at the point where Alieve and I are best of friends on most days. The longest task was cutting out the small rounds of plate then punching in the radius by punching them into a nut held in a vise. Had to make about double what I needed, as many punched off center and would not have been a good match. Something you can buy for about twenty cents but need immediately is pretty frustrating.

Comment

• Dennis
          Dennis commented
          Editing a comment
          Flathead Ted demonstrates how to make your own pills. When I did the brakes on my car I ordered the pills from Snyder's, but I wouldn't use that method and would recommend welding the end of the rod and grinding it to a sphere to get the correct length and 15 degree angle of the actuating shaft arm.

http://www.flatheadted.com/index.php...d=22&Itemid=34

Naproxin at W/Mart cheaper than Alieve and works just as good. I take 2 each morning :p:::.
        Paul in CT

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Roadster Rich
          Brake Track Replace or Repair
          by Roadster Rich
          Trying to get this Town Sedan ready for the buyer. Agreed to get good running engine only, but now he wants it to drive in a parade in mid August. The brakes are pretty bad and I have to at least get it safe for a little while for him to use. All this effort and cost and no change in the sale price, but I guess that is par for the course when you sell to a friend.

I have some pictures...
          You do not have permission to view this gallery.
          This gallery has 2 photos.
          07-08-2017, 01:29 PM
        • pAAt
          Caster and braking
          by pAAt
          Caster seems to be good, but brakes are locking up and pulling to one side !
          This gallery has 1 photos.
          06-14-2017, 10:37 PM
        • Denis4x4
          39-42 Lockeed rear brake issues
          by Denis4x4
          In September, I replaced all of the wheel cylinders and cleaned up the backing plates etc. This is a photo of the left rear brake on a Model A rear end. Had the original Ford logo brake shoes relined. The ebrake cables are Locar and work with the A ebrake handle. The ebrake arms are in a bind and the only things I can identify as issues are the guides on the backing plates where the ebrake arms....
          12-06-2018, 04:24 PM
        • Terry, NJ
          Mechanical Brakes or I know I should look first.
          by Terry, NJ
          As the title says, but I'd rather spread the knowledge first! Here's my problem, Today I took off the front drums on my coupe, left side- fine. Right -side got a little problem. The shoe are low, like an off center low, like about 1/8 - 3/16" low. Ah so that's why I've never been able to properly adjust the right front brake! No matter how I tightened or loosened it, it was always dragging....
          01-09-2020, 06:57 PM
        • 40B1930
          Operating Pin Shim
          by 40B1930
          Seriously - does one need to remove the front backing plate to add one shim (pill)? I tried needle nose pliers to lift the pin up far enough to slip one in and no luck. Thanks for any suggestions....
          07-22-2018, 10:01 AM
        • 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Brake Backing Plate Assembly 101
          by 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Found this on UTube. For me an excellent tutorial about brakes and how they work, things to look for if repair/rebuilding. Is really good at showing how the guts work.

Does not discuss adjustments, drums, champher linings, arcing linings, or the rest of the brake system. But for a quick idea of the parts and how they work is great for the uneducated like myself.

One question...
          03-15-2020, 10:46 AM
        • Steve Plucker
          Rear Backing plates
          by Steve Plucker
          I am trying to determine just why I can not get the rear hubs on my fully assembled rear backing plates.

When the backing plates are assembled to the rear axle and the brake wedges are fully bottomed out...the hubs will not go on.

I do not want to force them as I probably will not get them off.

Every part was looked at for quality, length, what ever.
          01-26-2020, 05:00 AM
        • 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Brake Squeal
          by 1930 Closed Cab PU
          Last winter had my truck worked on including the Brakes. New shoes/riveted woven linings, converted to cast hubs. Linings arced and chamfered. Brakes were not restored, shop said there was a little wear on some of the other parts, but are good. Did not have restored, ran out of cash.

Slight occassional squealing especially when braking from slower speeds just before complete stopping,...
          08-22-2019, 04:53 PM
        • ahirt
          Front Brake Operating Pin
          by ahirt
          So can anyone tell me why this operating Pin that I removed while redoing the brakes is almost 7 1/4 inches long? Other side was correct length.
          08-18-2018, 02:14 PM
        • Beauford
          Rear radius
          by Beauford
          While putting in some new backing plate bolts releasing the rear radius they now do not want to line up with the holes. How is this possible?? I tried removing large center bolt which did not help so I re-attached and was able to get drivers side done but had to use a pry bar at rear between backing plate and V in radius for the top bolt to go in. The passenger side is way off more on top hole of...
          12-25-2017, 05:43 PM
        Working...
        X