Good News For Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News For Me

I have mentioned in the past that I will be picking up my 1930 Model A Coupe up in Louisana the first week of May. I will meet my brother who will be coming from Texas with my car. My mechanic has been working on it since October 2017, on and off. He is a retired mechanic that owned his own shop and had worked on many Model A's. He told my brother he loved working on my car but forgot how much work they can be, so he is going back into retirement. He states my Model A purrs like a kitten and starts with just turning the key. I am very lucky to have such a dedicated mechanic, he went through my cars mechanics rebuilding the distributor, carb, generator. He took out my old engine and installed a rebuilt one after checking it to insure it had been rebuilt. He went over the clutch to insure it was good and painted the new engine and carb while out of the frame. He did a once over on the brakes to insure they were working properly. I did provide him the parts he ask for when he needed them, but he worked everyday on it stopping when he tired out. This mechanic checked everything and if he saw something that didn't look right he would correct it. I told my brother, although we agreed to a price at the begining of these repairs, have the mechanic total up a bill so I can pay the man for all he has done for me. Well today I did get that bill. My mechanic told me that it was a pleasure to come out of retirement and work on a Model A again and he enjoyed every moment of it. He also stated because my brother did help him a few weekends that he would be happy and satified with a total bill of $1,500.00. I had to pick myself off the floor. All I can say is I am very blessed to meet people like this that is willing to help another out when needed. Thanks for reading my long message, I enjoy being on this forum. Hugh

It sounds like a nice tip is in order...

TOB

Comment

• copgib
      copgib commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes you can be sure I wll be paying him more than that without him knowing ahead of time. Wished there were more mechanics like him. Hugh

Ya know Hugh that job was a labor of love and therapy combined for your technician. In his prime i'm sure he was used to working for a lot less than what things go for today. I am by no means saying you should do this, i'm just stating what I would do in this position. I would slide the man 2K and it's still a grand slam. As long as his work is up to par you did very very well. I am sure you will have your brother give this thing a good road test ahead of time to make sure everything is kosher.
    Your story has been great from the beginning. I for one thoroughly enjoyed all your posts and contributions. I know one thing you are well prepared from the info that you have received here since joining .
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• copgib
      copgib commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Mitch for the kind words. I plan to give my mechanic $2,500.00 to show him how much I appreciate his work on my car. He was in retirement and when he heard I needed help, he came out of retirement just for my project. It was a labor of love and my brother stated everytime he finished a part of the project he would call my brother all excited on what he had accomphished. My brother will give it a shakedown before I get it and he will be putting the new bumpers I bought front and back on it for me, as well as other things before I get it. It needs a paint job, but mechanical it will be sound when I get it. Hugh

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Your a good man Hugh @ 2500 it's still a grand slam

• tbirdtbird
      tbirdtbird commented
      Editing a comment
      I totally agree

I have no problem paying up for excellent work. Just to show you what kind of guy he is, he needed a new part, can't remember which one and he ask my brother wat they cost new now. My brother looked it up and told him, it was like a $90 part and he said that was too much, order a rebuilt kit and I will rebuild it. That is his way of thinking. He loves working on Model A though. Hugh
    Last edited by copgib; 04-06-2018, 10:30 AM.

Comment