Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today that was model a related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dennis
    replied
    Bill did it rust flash after you hosed it off? I was recommended to use it before primer. I read all of the instructions numerous times to be sure of what when and how. As soon as I rinsed it, here came the rust flash. I went and got my diluted 85% food grade phosphoric acid to clean up the mess. I use wet rags to scrub the PA off before it dries. Have not yet had rust flash with the food grade stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Bill G
    replied
    A little break in the weather this week-end. I have a rear seat-back spring set that has some rust. Soaked it in POR-15 Metal Prep (Phosphoric acid), hosed it off, dried it off, and then painted it with Rustoleum. Not a big deal, but at least something Model A related.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis
    replied
    Rolled out the chassis Saturday night to rearrange inside garage to finish small black parts fenders splash aprons etc. Today working on bumper brackets that a PO thought they should be chrome plated decades ago. What a mess. If I had Wiz’s money I’d look for some that weren’t plated.

Leave a comment:

• Jamey E
    replied
    I think I’m going to become a vendor 😂

Leave a comment:

• Jamey E
    replied
    Hung up some recently acquired Ford tools this afternoon. I’ve got a Union meeting tonight & our training director messaged me that he has a box load of tools that he picked up for me at a flea market over the weekend. The wall has 200 tools on it now! 😳

Leave a comment:

• Tod Buttermore
    replied
    I got 6 B head molds assembled, 2 Winfields, and one 3 main stock A block mold assembled. Hoping to pout this week. I had several requests for B heads and iron Thomas heads as well.

Also making progress on the first OHV head. I will be pouring one of those in iron soon.

Tod

Leave a comment:

• rheacox
    replied
    Pulled both front spindles off today in preparation to do the kingpin bushings. So many years of caked on grease... Kingpins might be serviceable but I’m probably going to get new ones just to be safe

Leave a comment:

• DaWizard
    replied
    Got the customer's block back from the babbiter today, did a little cleaning and installed the valve guides so the machinist can cut new seats. Will have it at the machinist in the morning to finish the bore and valve work.

Leave a comment:

• A29tudor
    replied
    Just finished brake adjustment per Mitch's guidelines and how well they balanced out. Thanks for good instructions. Well done.

Leave a comment:

• Ted Duke
    replied
    Number 1 son, Tom, and I ripped in to the Gordon Smith Model A air compressor. Taking our time. Pan off, crank and rods look ok? Head off, air cylinders dirty and with calcium chloride (?) slush. Cylinders look ok (?) w/little wear.

Engine valves seem to be hung up. (Will pull the valve cover and check them next weekend?) I get to clean up the tools, the shop and the parts we removed during the week.

I need to do some research on the reed (?) valves, that look pretty rusty. I've ordered the CD from Smith Compressor Club. I'l be shooting some questions at Smith compressor owners.

Comments, suggestions, welcome!
    Ted in the Beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Maron
    replied
    Originally posted by kbwagon View Post
    Mark, the undercarriage looks to shinny for fine point ! just saying!!!!!!!

Karl

Leave a comment:

• Ray in La Mesa
    replied
    Loaded up the van & trailer for the Big 3 swap meet in San Diego Feb. 20-22.

Leave a comment:

• DaWizard
    replied
    Installed and set gap of the valves in my touring engine.

Got the call today that the customers block will be arriving here tomorrow and I will put all my effort into getting that finished, starting with installing the valve guides to get it back to the machinist for finish bore and valve seat changes for the big valves. This will not be a totally stock engine, just not the catastrophe it was before.

Leave a comment:

• Bill G
    replied
    Rebuilt a distributor for a spare. Actually, I started a week ago, but finished today.

PS: Went stock all the way and the distributor turned out so well, I will probably make it the main dizzy and retire the other one as a spare, or rebuild it too. BTW, Thanks Mitch

Last edited by Bill G; 02-16-2020, 12:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• George Miller
    replied
    went to the clubs annual lube day. They had it at a 8 car hoist repair garage, all the hoist were being used. It was a little cool but a nice sunny day.

Leave a comment:

• JDupuis
    replied
    Stop by a buddies house today to help diagnose an annoying tick in his motor.
    I'm certain that I've narrowed it down to his distributor.
    I think it is missing the thrust washer inside the dist on the shaft.
    There is vertical movement up and down where there should be none.

The noise is mainly heard at idle, not when revving up.

Leave a comment:

• Ray Sullivent
    replied
    Cleaned & installed kit in Fuel Shutoff Valve & Carburetor Filter. Also replaced gas line all in order to stop a gas leak.
    Will add gas tomorrow & check for leaks.
    Hopefully there will be none.

Leave a comment:

• sideline
    replied
    A78A34AE-D95F-444F-AFE4-5AF19DB6DB2B.jpegInstalled a new set of powder coated engine pans that I got from Mike’s. The car had never had any since we have owned it. Aside from the cosmetic aspect I’m hoping they may help with engine temperature too.

Leave a comment:

• kbwagon
    replied
    Mark, the undercarriage looks to shinny for fine point ! just saying!!!!!!!

Karl

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    replied
    Originally posted by DaWizard View Post

I agree Mitch. You think you can make that happen?

Mark, after enlarging that picture of the number, I do hope you are going off the matching engine number because he could have made that *A71691*
    We can easily make that happen if Mark is interested.

I thought about the A71691 number option, but the frame has early features to negate that. Features like the 3 holes on the hood shelf support bracket is one of them.
    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/art...-steve-plucker

Leave a comment:

• DaWizard
    replied
    Originally posted by Mitch View Post
    Beautiful Mark. If you're interested this early car really deserves its own build thread.
    I agree Mitch. You think you can make that happen?

Mark, after enlarging that picture of the number, I do hope you are going off the matching engine number because he could have made that *A71691*

Leave a comment:

• Mitch
    replied
    Beautiful Mark. If you're interested this early car really deserves its own build thread.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Maron
    replied
    AND next we will bring it all together with the front end and rear end....

Leave a comment:

• Mark Maron
    replied
    Wiz he stamped the 6 first with was upside down and then overlapped the correct 9

Leave a comment:

• ClaudeC
    replied
    trying to fit a short model b water pump shaft into a model A waterpump.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X