Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today that was model a related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went to A&L today and left with a couple nicely reballed steering arms. I asked if they had a hone in the shop that could do the kingpin bushings and he said no but then took me in back and handed me a nice old piloted reamer/driver. He said I could use it and just bring it back whenever I was done Great place

Comment

• Well, after spending the last week patiently taking inventory of all my Model A parts, today I got the call that the main body of my '30 Coupe was ready for pick up at the painter's.

I may sleep in the shop tonight!!

20200219_170101.jpg20200219_173244.jpg20200219_173346.jpg

Goodnight!!😴

Comment

• Whew Hank, that beats the hell outa me trying in vane too get at least one piston in my touring engine. Good job, and it's ok to cuddle up with that, just remove that belly warmer belt buckle!
        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• NIccceeee Hank, I would do the same
          3 ~ Tudor's
          Henry Ford said
          "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Hank now comes the fun part. Put the proctology gloves on. lol
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Wow Hank- that is a beautiful paint job!!

Comment

• I spent the day removing and installing new bushings in the clutch and brake pedals. Removing the old bushings was easy, using the tips provided in this forum. I sharpened a nail and gently tapped it between the bushing and the casting, the bushing "V"ed up and I twisted it out with a pair of needle nosed pliers. Installing the new bushings was not as easy.... Using tips provided by this forum, I beveled the edge of the new bushing with a file and gently pressed it in with a flat plate using my HF press. No problem, and the new pedal bushing fit the new pedal shaft perfectly.

Things went downhill when inserting the new bushing on the other side of the pedal. This was the clutch pedal that has the two prong locking device protruding from the casting. Again, I beveled the edge of the new bushing and struggled a bit to fully insert the new bushing with the press. I finally got it fully inserted around the prongs. However, the bushing appears to be slightly deformed and would not fit over the new shaft. I ended up using a modern brake cylinder honing tool to clean up the ID of the new bushing before it would fit over the shaft.

One must be persistent and patient to work on a Model A....

Comment

• Originally posted by Hank B View Post
                  Well, after spending the last week patiently taking inventory of all my Model A parts, today I got the call that the main body of my '30 Coupe was ready for pick up at the painter's.

I may sleep in the shop tonight!!

20200219_170101.jpg20200219_173244.jpg20200219_173346.jpg

Goodnight!!😴
                  Beautiful, I'm envious!
                  Ted

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Duke View Post
                    Beautiful, I'm envious!
                    Thanks Ted!

Looking forward to that first drive!!

Comment

• I went to my iron foundry and took pictures of yesterday's pour of B heads, Winfield heads and an iron 3 main A block. Very pleased at what I saw.

Tod

Comment

• Originally posted by Tod Buttermore View Post
                        I went to my iron foundry and took pictures of yesterday's pour of B heads, Winfield heads and an iron 3 main A block. Very pleased at what I saw. Tod
                        And why don't we have pictures?
                        You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Originally posted by DaWizard View Post

And why don't we have pictures?
                          I tried to upload them but they are too large, apparently. I will resize and post.

Tod

Comment

• I took some time to program and machine the top of the first aluminum B head this afternoon.

Tod

Comment

• The block right out of the sand. Model A 3 main iron. I looked it over and saw no apparent flaws. I can't wait to get it in the shop and start machining it. I have someone that REALLY wants to machine and build this. I hope to be able to start spitting these out to anxious buyers.

Tod
                              Last edited by Tod Buttermore; 02-21-2020, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Beautiful Tod Buttermore . Please keep updating that block progress as you do the machining and all. Maybe a fresh thread?
                                3 ~ Tudor's
                                Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitch View Post
                                  Beautiful Tod Buttermore . Please keep updating that block progress as you do the machining and all. Maybe a fresh thread?
                                  I do have a video on Youtube of the first one I did a few years back.

Tod

Comment

I do have a video on Youtube of the first one I did a few years back.

Tod
                                    Yes, I believe this is the one that is posted in the PT technical forum.
                                    https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ideos-and-more
                                    3 ~ Tudor's
                                    Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitch View Post

Yes, I believe this is the one that is posted in the PT technical forum.
                                      https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...ideos-and-more
                                      Yes. I have a different machine I am machining them in now, though.

Tod

Comment

Yes. I have a different machine I am machining them in now, though.

Tod
                                        Feel free to keep adding onto that thread as you go along. Great work
                                        3 ~ Tudor's
                                        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• I am adding directional signals (logo lites) Ran wires today hope to connect them up tomorrow

Comment

• Tod we really appreciate your work and updates, a different thread as Mitch suggested would actually be great so as to make your progress easy to follow honestly i think a lot of people will be interested in these blocks Steve Becker told me good ones are getting real hard to find and they scrap more than anyone can imagine. Also I think it is important for people to see what all is involved in building this stuff machining etc. I would look forward to a step by step tutorial on the cast iron block and machining.

Comment

• I finally did something Model A
                                              I bought this wooden trunk at a flea market a few years ago, ($5) as I thought it might fit in the Model A trunk rack.
                                              I painted it grey at that time to make it look nicer.
                                              Well I decided to cover it with vinyl to enhance its appearance.
                                              Total investment < $21.
                                              Twiss Collector Car Parts

Comment

• Installed signals(logo lights)

Comment

• Originally posted by JDupuis View Post
                                                  I finally did something Model A
                                                  I bought this wooden trunk at a flea market a few years ago, ($5) as I thought it might fit in the Model A trunk rack.
                                                  I painted it grey at that time to make it look nicer.
                                                  Well I decided to cover it with vinyl to enhance its appearance.
                                                  Total investment < $21.
                                                  Priceless investment
                                                  28 Tudor
                                                  57 Tbird
                                                  2kMR2 Spyder
                                                  62 Willys Pickup

Wise man once told me you don’t know what you don’t know

Comment

• Nice job Jay, does it fit?

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                                    Working...
                                                    X