Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Model A Forums

General Discussion
See more
See less

What did you do today that was model a related?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixed a winter spot for Fred and pulled the winter project out. Who puts tin and caulking over this ? I do believe this is going to be rat rodded in honor of our Australian friends !!

Comment

• Drained the rear diff and sealed some of the bolts with Permatex as recommended by posters to aid in stopping some of the leaks

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope it works out for you

• Was going to practice putting door glass and components in a spare door, but decided to remove the bondo. I have new cab corners, but might try to repair the ones that were on it. Nice to have an open tiny shop

Comment

• Front end wheel bearing checks, front end greased. Last week drained both diff and tranny and added new 600 wt...tight and checked all.

Comment

• Started packing for the trip to "Model 'A' Day at the Museum". If you are going to be there, look for the new display of original Model 'A' and 'AA' tools. It will be in the area near the parts department.

Comment

• Mark Maron
            Mark Maron commented
            Editing a comment
            Don. Don’t have a pre paid reserved spot of you at Gilmore???? What’s up.

• Bobm90
            Bobm90 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don , Could you please post your display of model A tools? I have all that I need to create a display and wanted to buy a display box from Tyler but he passed away before I could do so. I am looking for someone selling them or will resort to making my own if and when time permits, Thanks

• Don Turley
            Don Turley commented
            Editing a comment
            Mark, I am not selling in the swap meet this year. I am bringing a display that I am donating to the Museum. It is all inclusive of all of the original tool kit tools as listed in the "Restoration Guidelines" for both the "A" and "AA". I had a custom cabinet made for this display. The cabinet was delivered to the Museum last week and we will be installing the tool display into the cabinet this Thursday so that it will be ready for the weekend event. The cabinet and display is about six feet wide and six feet tall.

Bobm90, Sewell Tyler was making the individual tool kit boxes from patterns that I provided him. I just sent another copy of the patterns to Bratton's and they will be making and selling them again soon. The photo of a tool kit on the MAFCA website, Tech Q&A, Tools, is my photo of one of the boxes that I used to sell before loosing my cabinet maker.
            Last edited by Don Turley; 09-10-2018, 04:04 PM.

• Mark Maron
            Mark Maron commented
            Editing a comment
            Magnificent Don. See you there.

• Got after my rusty rear fender - sanded down the fronts. Hope to get some paint on them this week. Lot of sanding needed on Driver rear.

Comment

• pAAt
            pAAt commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice looking truck and shop area !!

• I going to therapy, for my Model A disorder !! Fishing with friends and it's taking a toll on me emotionally I'll be back early enough to do something on it I hope !! Good day all Pat

Comment

• Picked up my order from Bratton's.

Comment

• Spent part of the day just unwrapping new tires from Coker, wrapped like they were gonna get scuffed, finally something UPS can't break !! so they just screwed up the delivery somewhat and delivered 3 packages over a 2 day period. Mounted the front 2 hope to get the other 2 on today.

Comment

• All 4 550X19 Goodrich tires now mounted on the car , if the monsoon rains ever stop I can try them out then go on to bigger and better things Model A related.

Comment

• Finished cab corner patches and got started on my back panels. Little shrinking and it's ready for patch panels. I will need to build a small brake tomorrow, to make the lengthy bends.

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Impressive
                    You may get voted to head the VFF metal shop.

• pAAt
                    pAAt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mitch, I would have to leave that honor to Will ! I'm still stumbling along and really enjoying it a lot. I really do need some body hammers/tools, but will use what I have till some fairy stops by !! Good evening too you, Pat

• Bobm90
                    Bobm90 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    PAAt, check the prices for body hammer and dolly sets at eastwood, I bought a inexpensive set and they work just fine for occasional work.

• pAAt
                    pAAt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Bob I'll do that and I'll be visiting one of my fairies tomorrow. He has a hammer and dolly fo me, but I don't know what kind. He needs help with an auger shaft in his combine, so the trip won't look like it's just for fairy items ! Pat in the morning, has his plumber hat on, ready for action Good day everyone, Pat

• I made a new wood block for my taillight and a duplicate for the right side. Used the old block as a guide.

Comment

• One of my Model A goals this Fall is to re-build a carburetor correct for May 1929 (engine stamp date) to place in my 1929 Blindback. Received a dirty and rusty carb from an EBay bid that had the correct top. Cleaned it today and took off every bolt that turned. Went to separate the halves and broke the venturi with 1/2 in top and 1/2 in bottom. Used propane to burn all solvents from each half. Covered a metal pizza plate with aluminum foil and placed both top and bottom on it in oven at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Emptied a shelf on freezer and put a small cutting board on shelf. Placed top and bottom of carb on wood in freezer for 2 hours. Took both out of freezer. Venturi in top half fell out into my hand. Venturi in bottom half took about three knocks on my wood work bench to fall out. Will paint top with Rust-Oleum High Heat barbecue semi-sheen black paint. Bottom half goes into Winter work pile for heating and quenching to remove secondary well.

Comment

• For the last 5 days I have hammered and various other thing on what's left of my right front spring perch , only about 4 hrs a day, this bugger will give up sooner or later, I won't be defeated by a animate object, have used pullers, heat, chemicals, hammers (air and Manual), punches, grinder and every tool I can find in my garage including a saws all, gonna take today off and get back to it tomorrow.

Comment

• 4 Oct.

Just got in via UPS the new windshield for my '31 coupe. Checked it against the old one and its a good match. Will probably start install later today

Comment

• Put my distributor back together and put it back on Sarah.
                          "Bullshit and Brilliance Comes with Age and Experience"

Comment

• Well first week of October been getting kind of chilly so unfortunately today we put the heater back on what a depressing time

Comment

• Gary Karr
                              Gary Karr commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Mark, you need to come to San Diego for a visit sometime this winter and thaw out!

• Gary I would love to. Really would. Good for my health and to get the parts you have for me. Yes!!!

Comment

• In keeping with my trying to get more of our club members attending club functions and getting their cars out on the road, today I visited the storage of one of the members and finished the work I started last week with a tune up and distributor change as I was not happy with the way the "modern" style plate and points were jumping around and making the engine untunable.

So, after swapping out his dizzy for my backup, and resetting the timing, and a wee bit of spark plug cleaning and gapping, this engine runs smoooooooooooooth and healthy.

Since I know you all out there love pictures, I remembered to take a few of this rare bird. It is a late '31 indented firewall AA!!
                              VFF Recruiter

"We do not stop playing because we grow old;
                              We grow old because we stop playing ...
                              NEVER Be The First To Get Old!" Pilfered from the MAFC SA Newsletter

I JUST CAN'T FIX STUPID!!

"Why so Serious?"

Comment

• Dennis
                                Dennis commented
                                Editing a comment
                                This looks like the truck I saw on ebay for sale recently.

• Had to rework my engine stand to accept a Stipe motor bracket ( really a sweet mount !! ) Head came off nicely and then found 060 pistons with no real wear Looks like a newer crank ? I did however find parts in the dipper tray. Timing gear had a couple teeth chipped off and the gear was loose. I'm pretty happy as of yet, but will continue the strip down and see for sure the damage. So glad you guys recommend dropping the pan, there's a story to be told in there. Thanks, Pat

Comment

• Mitch
                                Mitch commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Babbitt thrust?

• pAAt
                                pAAt commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Probably, I'll pull the lower engine apart in a couple weeks. It'll be a learning experience for sure. Thanks Mitch !

• pAAt
                                pAAt commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Stupid question Mitch.. do they make 090 pistons

• I have had the whole car apart lately. Last week took the manifolds off and media blasted both. When I took them off, I noticed an exhaust leak around the back-most exhaust port. Put a straight edge on it and no wonder there was a leak! There was a little warpage of about 1/32 to maybe 1/16 inch. Took it to a machine shop and had it planed. The comment from the machine shop guy was "It needed it". Looks nice and flat now. Today with the nice weather, I painted both. Used hi-temp gray on the exhaust. Ford Engine green on the intake. Also took out the after-market cone-shaped front motor mount spring and replaced it with the more normal type. With the cone-shaped spring assembly, the front of the engine was too high and made it very hard to get the crank to line up. I am now hoping for better. Visually it looks much better but won't know for sure until the radiator shroud is back on. Lastly, since all was apart, I took the valve cover off and checked the valve clearances. Some were a little off, and I found them to be pretty touchy to adjust. I won't know how that went until I fire it up on a couple months.

Comment