Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to the Model A Forum

General Discussion
See more
See less

What did you do today that was model a related?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last week one of my sons and I installed the camshaft in my engine, yesterday I assembled #1 to #3 rods to the new pistons. Slow progress. Lot's of other things in my life.

Comment

• We have a saying in the business...'good enough'... after sandblasting and checking three flywheel housings and settling on one that had cracks that were pinned I moved on,painting and fitting the housing,hanging the oil pan and the FAM's.the pinned housing dialed true,so it was 'good enough'..till today,Cliff wanted me to lift one of his junker engines and take the flywheel off it with the crane so he can sell the core at Turlock, this poor engine had been stripped,it was missing two main caps and three rods, painted red..Cliff wants to get a few bucks for it,I told him the junk man ain't paying shit ...low and behold it had a perfect reinforced late flywheel housing..pissed,I took it home and blasted it I know the fucker is going to dial in beautiful..fourth time is a charm..so I get to go backwards tomorrow,block up the engine on the run in stand,removed work already completed and start again..oh well,at least I didn't mount the flywheel yet..was getting ready to do that tomorrow..All in all its a good thing,I assembled the B engine for Turlock today,gonna sell it instead of sinking the dough and building it,I can do a whole lot of model a stuff with the money it would cost to build it..the beefy flywheel housing will come in handy when i do some hop up stuff to the A engine..

Comment

• The early B,weld on counterbalance weights,lightened rods,sleeved .080 over..festooned with crapola from the junk pile,on the piano dolly bound for Turlock..figure the Marvel Schebler and the hammered two blade fan will draw some flies,the A head distributor and cut B pan all add to the flavor..make me an offer...

Comment

• Just pulled a running Pinto engine from a Vicky Replacing it with Model A engine.
          Removing Hydraulic brakes. Going back with mechanical.

Comment

• Finally got back to my brakes after having spent a couple of weeks Outside (that's an Alaskan term meaning "anywhere but Alaska"). I now have both fronts done, and one backing plate/brake assy on the back. Hope to have it all completed and test drive this week. That is, if the roads clear up somewhat. Today they are "slicker'n snot".
            Last edited by CarlG; 01-14-2018, 04:50 AM.
            Alaskan A's
            Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
            Model A Ford Club of America
            Model A Restorers Club
            Antique Automobile Club of America
            Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• Put the flywheel housing on with horseshoe shims,it dialed .005 out at the bottom,pulled the shims,dead nuts on..so I have a good,un-cracked un-repaired late reinforced flywheel housing installed...after four tries..Im doing the tech seminar at the February club meeting.Its gonna be a show and tell about flywheel housings..they run it like a girls scout club its all about sending cards to sick members and dressing in era fashions...oh and they count the money too,six months ive been going to the meetings,they never talk about the car..thats gonna change bout time we started talking about model A's and spitting and telling dirty jokes..you know,car club stuff..

Comment

• CM2
                CM2 commented
                Editing a comment
                them some hard women holding the clubs money,the club president would hold her own in a street fight,no doubt..if they had any they would scratch their nuts like the rest of us..but yeah they are hard,'hold their panty hose up with thumbtacks' hard..but Im just the fool to talk big time car neck...yep,its gonna be fun..

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                This is the same club that Les Andrews is in?

• CM2
                CM2 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes...but he's over 80 and isn't like us..he's quiet and frail.I doubt he ever did time in a shop,an actual revenue shop,he was a tech writer for years..he don't look or act like a wrench..

• Just rec'd the updated judging standards versions 3 and 4. Inserted in binder but kept some of the older pages which have a few diagrams and photos not in the revisions..

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                I always leave the old pages where they were. It makes the book thicker but i reference them too.

• Ray Horton
                Ray Horton commented
                Editing a comment
                I do the same as Mitch. I even keep copies of the earliest judging standards. I can't explain why.

• 45 mile RT semi-country tour in rare January sunshine and warmth (60 degrees). Had picnic in the park after a nice long walk by the river. Was approached by a very lovely lady from Lyon, France, who wanted talk all about the car and France. My wife and I always enjoy these opportunites to share our fun with others, especially with folks from other countries. On the way home a nicely restored 1938 Buick sedan with dual sidemounts pulled alongside at a stop light, and we had another brief but enjoyable conversation with a fellow enthusiast. A perfect Model A day.

Comment

• JDupuis
                JDupuis commented
                Editing a comment
                Day well spent. Jeff

• Ray Horton
                Ray Horton commented
                Editing a comment
                Jeff, are you French? Dupuis?!

• JDupuis
                JDupuis commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, French Canadian, although I speak very little french. Jeff

• Progress..run in stand framed out,castered,B flywheel installed...Cliff dares me to run a 'stack' ,slice up a couple of junk A exhausts we got and fab up a vertical..all the ones you see have some homer gomer lash up with a jackstand and bailing wire, we do have some style up in here..

Comment

• I ordered more parts for the beast!

Comment

• dmdeaton
                  dmdeaton commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The color is way off. Is that what tipped you off? LOL

• BNCHIEF
                  BNCHIEF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah the color and the cool part will be how it tightens up and loosens up when you drive.

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Enjoy your new car and thanks the photos. You're very busy now.

• A couple guys came over to night and we worked on there engine for there hill climb car. It ended up having two cracked valve seat. the crack went into the cylinder. So we sewed it up with tapered threaded cast iron plugs. we will put in valve seats and cylinder slevees in those two cylinders.

Comment

• George Miller
                  George Miller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  no A block some one had put in valve seats in exhaust on those cylinders, but did not fix the cracks and sleeve the cylinders. The cracks were very hard to see.

• Dennis
                  Dennis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  George do you ever use the dye to check for cracks?

• George Miller
                  George Miller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I used dye to check for cracks years ago at work. But not now. But it sure would not hurt to use it.

• After reading Beauford's thread on king pins, I decided to finish my drivers side up today. Fortunately mine has been well greased in years past, so the old king pin came out easily. Unfortunately the retainer pin was installed backwards and it left a bit of a burr in the axle bore, easy to fix. New bushings pressed in and fit to the pin. Letting paint dry and will assemble in the morning.

Comment

• Mitch
                  Mitch commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We can certainly feed off Beaufords energy and enthusiasm.

• Beauford
                  Beauford commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will keep my short comings, coming. LOL

• Water pump day.kitted it leakless with the beefier needle bearing/sleeve setup,gonna run an alternator.

Comment

• Went to the Twin Cities Model A Ford Club last night and had a wonderful time. I knew a couple of people there besides Tom and Rusty. Shirley and Denny from the Lady Slippers Club (Rochester, Mn) were there. I attended one meeting with them last fall and they invited me back again (Ed your not invited !! these slippers are all mine I also knew 2 others there, one worked at a business I inspected for years (I never knew he had a Model A or that he paid $30 from a dealers lot in 1960 for it) also one gentleman came up to me and said he had driven a team of horses with a wagon at our place years ago. He said I took him down to show him my Model A and he wanted to buy it off me. He also has an AA parts truck in the back 40, so I'll be doing some bartering this spring for sure. My winter has warmed up greatly after last night and I thank Tom W for fixing my brain and the invite !! I'll be joining 4 Model A clubs shortly, to keep my sanity in check, over the next year . Thanks Model A A'ers. Pat

Comment

• Beauford
                    Beauford commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You will be in the official "Man's Sock Club" soon.

• pAAt
                    pAAt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Beauford, where can I join? I turn my socks when I get holes in the heals, so the holes on the top now. I'm not sure "soon" is soon enough ! Have a great day and love the progress on your Roadster !!! Pat
                Working...
                X