Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today that was model a related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to a Model A meeting and pot luck and did a bit of safety talking and talked to some folk about coming around here.
    You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Returned a Vintique wind wing kit today as it will not work with the '29 CCPU.
      The windshield post mounted mirrors presents a problem.

Comment

Used my pickup to take the trash to the dump. Do it ever friday.

Comment

Went to an aging club members house to remove and rebuild the carburetor on his '28 AA so he can safely drive it around.

Now starting the rebuild.

Rebuilding a rusty carburetor.
          Last edited by DaWizard; 07-14-2017, 08:43 PM.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

Little paint on my cab today was enjoyable, but a phone call to a Model A Gentleman dwarfed that by far. Great end of the day and my best to all !
            Model A's and of course the famous AA's

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              YOOOO Pat, that looks GREAT in the photos

• pAAt
              pAAt commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Mitch ! Nice to have a body man as a friend. ( same guy painted John's AA ) Monday, Joe will buff out the few minor flaws. I offered, but he said we didn't have enough paint left for me to do it and we have over a half gallon left !!

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              Now you'll find out what i meant by my response on the NERVE WRACKING thread lol

Pat, is that at your place in the meat butcher room?
            Sure looks good.

Comment

• pAAt
              pAAt commented
              Editing a comment
              My friends body shop, Tom. I'm on the in between paint jobs plan, Joe tells me it cheaper that way. Still haven't seen the bill though, but my arms are very sore from all the sanding and scotch brightening. Painted the interior with a quart and the paint was leaving small specks so the paint rep gave me a different epoxy Gallon + hardener for free. Looks very good and in the dim light almost looks black. Love it !!

Worked on my trailer going to try and finish all the wiring today finished all the rock guard and trim pull some more wire today and hang fenders,

Comment

• DaWizard
              DaWizard commented
              Editing a comment
              More Pictures!

I will post some more pictures tomorrow lot of progress made today.

Comment

Well, true to form, as the saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished"!
              Yesterday to help out a fellow model A'er and club member, I went to his house, 'bout 13mi, and removed the carb from his AA and brought it home to rebuild it. It had a nasty crack into the throat from one of the mounting ears. Called the club pres who had a new top, he brings it over and I manage to get the whole thing done in one day, course had some parts here and I have CW Moss about 6mi away for emergency parts. Anyway, finish the build, put the newish carb on my car to give it a good run and everything is perfect. So I leave it on the car and drive it over to his house and put it, still warm, back on his AA, fires right up, purrs like a kitten.

So, after visiting another one of his cars, a '30 Coupe and removing the nasty thing he called a carburetor, I start back toward home, wouldn't ya know it, about 4mi down the road, my car starts to buck and heave starving for gas. Well, I managed to limp home with joyful waves and jubilant tooting of the horns at the unnatural slow pokiness of my car. I think since I have another carb to rebuild, I will wait til that one is completed and road tested before breaking onto mine. Probably something like a sticky valve or float, obviously can't be anything major since it was humming along before I removed it.

So, that is what I did for the hobby and my friends today. More to come tomorrow when I rebuild the second carburetor.
              Last edited by DaWizard; 07-15-2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Motor is in with motor mount, wish bone mounted and alignment using backing plates is done Fenders, splash aprons, and running boards tested ? Plus dug about 39.5 yards of dirt out of my ditch. Love my big tools, just wish I had a lathe.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by pAAt; 07-16-2017, 10:21 PM.

Comment

• Dennis
                  Dennis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think you might have a transmission problem... no oil leaking out..

• pAAt
                  pAAt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I didn't know you needed oil in there too ! Pulled cover off and I see why it wasn't leaking Pic added above.

Originally posted by pAAt View Post
                Motor is in with motor mount, wish bone mounted and alignment using backing plates is done Fenders, splash aprons, and running boards tested ? Plus dug about 39.5 yards of dirt out of my ditch. Love my big tools, just wish I had a lathe.
                I don't see a gap between the wish bone plates.
                I thought you wanted me to dial in the flywheel cover?

Comment

• pAAt
                  pAAt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I knew you would catch the gap Tom and It is there. 3/16 but it's on the other side for now. I will pull the engine again when the temp cools some. Just enjoying putting it together so I get well versed.

Working on a generator.

Comment

I rebuilt a zenith carb a couple of weeks ago so I tried it out and it is perfect

Comment

I gave my latest RESTORER Magazine to my Home Helper, Marias' "other Bill" that she cares for. He used to have a '26 "Something"???
                    He gave me his Readers Digest, with an article, "44 Secrets to Feeling Younger, at ANY AGE"---LOL--I HAVEN'T read it yet.
                    Bill Goodguy--LOL

Comment

Rebuilt another Zenith carburetor, screwed it on my motor and had the same problem with motor spitting and sputtering with insufficient fuel, or so it seems, will check the point gap tomorrow, could be the rub block has worn some.

Comment

Took all my tires off the rims in prep for powder coat and new tires.

Comment

UPS delivery at 6:30p. I unboxed my goodies of A parts from Berts. Tomorrow will be installation day and with fingers crossed she'll finally start up and purr after a winter rest. Too bad they weren't delivered earlier so I could report success in the same day. Stay tuned

Comment

Originally posted by DaWizard View Post
                            Rebuilt another Zenith carburetor, screwed it on my motor and had the same problem with motor spitting and sputtering with insufficient fuel, or so it seems, will check the point gap tomorrow, could be the rub block has worn some.
                            Wiz,
                            IF the rubbing block is worn on an ANGLE, look for a loose POINT ARM PIVOT POST!!!!--They're OFTEN loose, they're just STAKED to that insulator piece & sometimes works loose.---I TALK & TALK about that & NOBODY ever responds????---BOTH of mine were LOOSE!!!
                            Bill W.

Comment

Well, today I failed. I failed to fix the struggling of my motor to reach an RPM to properly run. I did find a possible future fire hazard and fixed that. The bell under the firewall bowl was loose!! How the HELL did THAT happen?

I failed at the second carburetor rebuild, but I think that is fine. Tomorrow I start from scratch, reinstall my "working" carburetor, reset the points and timing, not because I want to, but because I feel the need to, just to be sure nothing there is amiss.

I failed to get the parts needed to finish my friends rebuild of his fuel system, but that was because I didn't get a call from the parts house that they got them in. So that failure is not really on me.

Tomorrow might be better, I'll let y'all know.

Comment

I ordered more parts...sanded more, color sanded more, finishing a 16 hour shift in 4 hours, stay awake for a doctors appointment, go to sleep, take daughter to basketball game and then paint aprons finally. need them done to get this truck body on chassis to give me room in garage. Front fenders ETA August...Gaslight is running on fumes I guess.

Comment

Forgot....newer wheels are ready from Powder coat place..have to pick those up and gas tank they blasted.

Comment

I had this little ding in the metal on Lucy between the r/r window and the top. I dont know how it got there or it could have always been there since the build and never saw it.. Once you notice something like that your eye is always attracted to it and it seems to grow every time you look at it. Strange stuff what the mind can do huh:. Yesterday i transported Lucy to the shop and had my real good paintless dent removal dude get rid of it. He was able to reach up behind where the top window seal is to access it. That was a well spent 60.00, and to boot I'm able to sleep again :D
                                    3 ~ Tudor's
                                    Henry Ford said
                                    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Beauford
                                      Beauford commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      I use to travel with a dent team all over the World for hail dents. "Storm Chasers" I removed the headliners for them and put them back up after roof was done. Major money but then I got married and had kids....no more!

Got it home and I can relax a little... Black or green, love it !

Comment

• Mitch
                                      Mitch commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      looks great Pat

• DaWizard
                                      DaWizard commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      That sure looks sweet Paat, I do like that color!

• BNCHIEF
                                      BNCHIEF commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Pat what color green is that called?

• Beauford
                                      Beauford commented
                                      Editing a comment
                                      Niiiiiiice!

Yesterday I worked on the trailer wiring from my truck could not get the 12v aux for charging the trailer break-away. the truck has the tow package but i guess if you want that to work you have to go to ford and buy the relay and 30 fuse they should have installed in the first place at least now my trailer is 90% wired and everything is working like it should. Not siure if the other oems work that way but it probably saves them a lot of money.

Comment

Removed, rebuilt and replaced a water pump. Rebuilt a second water pump for a spare. Both with leakless rear bushings and modern, pressed in front sleeves and bearings.

Comment

widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                      Working...
                                      X