Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you do today that was model a related?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making room in my garage so that I can put my pickup on jacks. Everything from the backing plates out is coming off and being sent to Randy Gross.
    Alaskan A's
    Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
    Model A Ford Club of America
    Model A Restorers Club
    Antique Automobile Club of America
    Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      You won't be unhappy with Randys work

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      Tell him your from the VFF

• CarlG
      CarlG commented
      Editing a comment
      I have had several exchanges with Randy over the years, he even said he remembered me when I contacted him last week again. Actually it looks like I had contacted him prior to my involvement with any discussion board. And I have commented on his thread here recently as well.

• Curly
      Curly commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re up early today brother Carl. I thought I was the only one who got up at 4 am.
      I’d love it if you could post a few progress photos of your brakes coming together. Sounds like it’s going to be a nice set up.
      Last edited by Curly; 11-18-2017, 08:16 AM.

• I finished up my heater install today cleaned up the plumbing on vp thermostat housing, also finished my weber carb install mounted the fuel pump as well as the pressure regulator running at 2.5# 800 rpm idle engine response is smooth and snappy idles and runs beautifully heater in this car works fantastic electric water valve works very well this thing will give out plenty of heat, did a little bypass checked temp cylinders from front to back with infrared heat gun I borrowed from a friend they were all within 5 degrees of each other. I bumped the thermostat up to a 180 and drilled a 1/4' HOLE in it car never gets over 180 like to have it a little warmer for better combustion. Removing that hood to work has always been a problem always needed someone to help this way I can do it by myself slowly.

Comment

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an awful pretty carb setup you have there Chief !!! Is your car a female ? She heats up fast and purrs like a kitten when you get in. Pat

• BNCHIEF
      BNCHIEF commented
      Editing a comment
      Paat i will leave that one right where it is, I really am getting a little smarter til I have a relapse.

• Weather stripped the car for winter.....

Comment

• Looks nice Mark that is something that is still on my agenda also to seal out moisture and wind noise.

Comment

• Mark Maron
        Mark Maron commented
        Editing a comment
        Im going to install a manifold heater this weekend and need to keep the cold out and the heat in!

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        take some pics look forward to seeing it,

• Dropped the oil pan to fix the leak from somewhere around the cork. Found a nub on each side that was tearing the cork when I put it in place. So fixed that and a new Best oil pan gasket. Seems to be dry so far.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennis the Best brand is cork correct?

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        It has the cork that goes on the main bearing cap yes, but the rails look like a dense felt type of material - not cork. edit here: I just looked at it with a magnifying glass, my eyes and hearing is not the best, and it looks more like a black paper with fibers in it. It also has the white rope for the front seal. Part number is 22003.

Earlier went for a test drive, got home and looked. Leaking from driver side rear corner. Dripping from bolt it appeared so I removed it and it was dry on the threads. I might have to drop the pan again. It's dry up at the front seal and rails.
        Last edited by Dennis; 11-18-2017, 02:59 AM.

• Dennis you need one of those Lisa Douglas pan gaskets hot off the griddle.

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I went ahead and slobbered some ultra black on the bolt threads and stuck it back on. Went out this morning and see now it had made a small puddle from the middle of the cork. I suppose things happened when I removed that bolt. So I jacked it up 6 inches and put a pair of jack stands under it. Snugged all the pan bolts and 4 hrs later not a drop of oil anywhere. I'm not saying it's fixed until I don't see oil for a long time.

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh and Chief, I've been hiding under a rock and don't have a clue who Lisa Douglas is...

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennis, I have the same problem. When I stop the engine I get a leak from the rear cork area and oil goes to the center of pan and drips but not too much. Guess I will hit it with some Ultra one day when I change oil and gaskets.

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Dennis ever watch the old show green acres, they needed a head gasket for their truck and she made one.

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        OHHH ! Yeah I remember that episode. LOL :rolling

• Yesterday I fitted the metal strips in the wood bed of my late '31 CCPU. Yep, it is a wide bed but I really don't like the look of that metal bed. It's almost ready to put back on the truck.
      Last edited by Mickey; 11-18-2017, 09:00 AM. Reason: typo
      http://www.turnbophotography.com

Comment

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice work on the bed! Are you going to paint the wood body color? I have a '29 RPU and will paint the wood....dont want to but that is what's "correct"....LOL

• No I'm going to leave it natural oak. I'm a woodworker and love the natural look.
      http://www.turnbophotography.com

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Very nice Mickey

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't blame ya but Mitch would roast me forever. LOL

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah but Beauford your new so we can ruin you from the start, just kidding your truck is looking great.

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, next I will have to spend 5K in wheels and tires as I have 19" wheels on a 29. I call it a late 29.....

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Go with radials you won't regret it and they only come in black so Mitch won't have to chastise you.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ae4NDjHr4Y Here you go Dennis enjoy.

Comment

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that better Chief?

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah thanks Mitch that should be right up pAAt's alley for truck parts.

• Mitch
        Mitch commented
        Editing a comment
        there is a quick tutorial in the forum posting tips sticky on posting these videos if your interested

• BNCHIEF
        BNCHIEF commented
        Editing a comment
        I will check it out as i do not know how to do that.

• Painted floor boards mat black, stained and polyed truck side boards Pecan. Filed teeth sharper on e-brake handle. Removed cover and stuffing from rear seat cushion. Zipped tied springs all around to reduce thickness. Still too thick...traced seat back on 3/4" plywood. Cut and added padding and seat cover. I can fit in the truck now. I'm only 6' 170lbs. LOL

Comment

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        I wouldn't even try to get in one of those trucks yet. And I think they are so cool looking.

• Beauford
        Beauford commented
        Editing a comment
        Advertised back in the day to fit 3 people...must have been tiny people...

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not the tiny people, it's that the darn things have shrunk over the years. Same thing happened to my suit hanging in my closet.

• Not today, but Saturday. I got the pickup on jack stands and front brakes off in preparation for sending them to Randy Gross.
      Alaskan A's
      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
      Model A Ford Club of America
      Model A Restorers Club
      Antique Automobile Club of America
      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• Replaced faulty left door latch, installing a vintage keyed door handle at the same time.

Comment

• Junked a sorry a$$ Autozone battery and went with a Interstate per Mitch. Ole Rusty cranks like no tomorrow now!! Put in a foot rest and a new shiny accelerator pedal. Stained and polyed wood rail around back seat of RPU.

Comment

• Hopped in Henrietta to get some groceries. Headed home and I didn't think I was going to make it. Sputtering and bucking, I think she's got a dirty screen or filter is plugged. I'll deal with it Friday.

Comment

• Well, since last month I screwed up the settings on my Zenith to try out another.....long story.....today I removed my original Zenith G and went through the whole thing, settings, jets, filter, cleaned it spic-n-span and reinstalled it. Whew, what a difference, starts up cold again, no choke, no GVA adjustment, no high idle needed. As the engine begins to warm, you can hear the idle settle down to a dull hummm. Happy again am I.

Hey Dennis, you got a ½x20 helicoil? I got a top that has the filter threads blown out. *sighs*
              You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

• Beauford
                Beauford commented
                Editing a comment
                Whats the secret for no choke!! I have a Tilly....

• DaWizard
                DaWizard commented
                Editing a comment
                Zenith properly adjusted and setup.

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Very warm weather

• Dennis
                Dennis commented
                Editing a comment
                No helicoils here Wiz. When I was working on big iron we always used thread inserts, Keenserts and Caterpillar.

• DaWizard
                DaWizard commented
                Editing a comment
                Not so sure that would work as well as a helicoil for the front bowl filter threads. If you have a ½x20 thread insert, I'd be willing to give it a try.....what have I got to loose!!

• It would be today as late as I was up last night. Decided to crawl under the car and take another look at the drippy oil pan. No leak shut off and I thought I'd take the inspection cover off, only my big hands don't allow any room with the engine pans on. So momentarily I pushed against the middle of the pan where it drops around the main bearing. Just what I was afraid of, barely any pressure against the cork and I could see a little ooze of oil when it flexed. I should have bought that unbranded gasket set the other day when I was at CW Moss because I think the cork in the BEST set is way too thin.

Comment

• Mitch
                Mitch commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you put a film of RTV on the end lips? or just the corners?

• Dennis
                Dennis commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, ultra black on the ends of the cork and in the corners. The cork is leaking at the middle of the drop. No leaking bolts. Something I noticed unusual in the package was only one cork, usually there are 2 corks both side pieces and a rope for the front. In the past the sets I've bought there was one cork that was cut square and the other was angled on the sides.

• Since nobody (locally) wanted to buy my original '31 roadster, which runs and drives great. I have spent time today reattaching some of the accessories that I mounted on it earlier.

Bob-A

Comment

• Cork will take a set, and should be snugged up after a few days to a week.

Comment

• Dennis
                  Dennis commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tom, I don't think this one is going to do that. I've snugged it up and it won't snug anymore with the thick side papers. It's a Best gasket with the black sides, thicker than the sets with the brown paper. I'm going to check with CW Moss in the morning to see if they're open and I'll run up and buy another set, they had the all cork set last time I was there.

• Picked up some insulation to modify my barn. Barn is 24x36, going to make a stall so I can work on it during cold weather.
                Tad chilly out there at the moment.

Comment

• I looked for a MAGONET, to put Vermins' pic on the fridge---Cindy thinks "car guys" are WEIRD, it would be REALLY WEIRD, if I had NOT become a "CAR GUY"

Comment

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey us car parents got these kids to where they are today

• I just tell my kids they had better humor me I have whiteout and I know how to use it in my will.:rolling

Comment

• BILL WILLIAMSON
                    BILL WILLIAMSON commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Chief,
                    A MAGIC MARKER works well, also!

• image1 (10).jpeg Starting at 5 am I finished filing and sanding a stainless steel weld on my cowl band. I have it sanded from 180 grit thru 1000. The weld repair which looked like a wad of bubble gum when I started is invisible now. This kind of labor to repair an original part makes me feel good.
                  Last edited by Art Ebeling; 11-24-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

• BNCHIEF
                    BNCHIEF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good for you Art that vicky really looks sharp.

• Got the pan off and cleaned up, put the new gasket set on with the correct cork for the rear main. Let everything set and dry well before I poured in the oil. No more leak on the pan, front to back. I think what was happening was the oil from the rear main, was going to the front of the cap and following along the flywheel inspection plate and crossing over to the pan. Yeah, rear main leaking and I'm very very unhappy right now.

Comment

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dennis, you do know I have a fix for that which has been happily working on my car for the last 3k miles. All you need do, but to late now, is bring me the rear main cap. I am at your service for the asking.

• Mitch
                    Mitch commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He has inserts

• DaWizard
                    DaWizard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yea. Sorry to tell ya Dennis, but with inserts you are on your own.

• Put the new steering wheel back on lucy, reinstalled the horn rod and light switch.
                  A few odds and ends left to do
                  3 ~ Tudor's
                  Henry Ford said
                  "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Fixed wiring on brake light.....man that repop LED is bright!!

Comment

• Mitch
                      Mitch commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What did u find wrong with the wiring?

• Beauford
                      Beauford commented
                      Editing a comment
                      bad connection between light wires and harness wire. Bad crimp.
                  widgetinstance 451 (<center>Related Topics</center>) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X