31 Floor cover over the rear spring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31 Floor cover over the rear spring

When installing the "tent" that covers the rear spring protruding thru the rear floor, how taunt should the tent be? Will the spring ever come up higher in the body than as it sits at rest now? I am too stupid to understand. This post is deleted.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by JohnB15632; 03-16-2018, 09:20 PM.

Hey, is that my Vicky? The answer is no, the cover is over the frame which contains the spring.

Comment

OK, where do you get a frame that covers the spring?

Comment

Ok, it covers the the rear crossmember over the spring.

Comment

I have nothing the goes over the spring on my A

Comment

Here is a picture.

Comment

On my 160B I replaced the fabric with sheet metal and some seam sealer.
              I didn't like the idea of exhaust and blowby fumes having any ingress.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK View Post
                On my 160B I replaced the fabric with sheet metal and some seam sealer.
                I didn't like the idea of exhaust and blowby fumes having any ingress.
                Mike I wonder why they did not use metal covers on all the models?
                3 ~ Tudor's
                Henry Ford said
                "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Hank B
                  Hank B commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting thread! I just had to run out to the shop and check my '31 SW. Yup, the frame & spring protrude up into the area under the rear seat! When I get it off the hoist I'll have to check what seals it off from the outside. I do get some exhaust smell up into the cab and notice the smell on my clothes after a long drive. Probably not too good to be breathing that stuff either!

John, that is not the spring, that is the rear crossmember with the spring held in by those u bolts. It is just like mine.

Comment

Our late SW has a metal cover with a gasket. We seal all holes in floor pan except the corner weeps for the rear quarter windows. As stated , you do have the cross member on top of the spring which is static.
                  Side note, what is that wood floor section at the rear pan with strap hinges in the 1st photo? Usually that is all one steel contiguous panel. Is that from the same car compared to post 5 ?
                  Last edited by plyfor; 03-17-2018, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by plyfor View Post
                    Our late SW has a metal cover with a gasket. We seal all holes in floor pan except the corner weeps for the rear quarter windows. As stated , you do have the cross member on top of the spring which is static.
                    Side note, what is that wood floor section at the rear pan with strap hinges in the 1st photo? Usually that is all one steel contiguous panel. Is that from the same car compared to post 5 ?
                    I think John posted a picture of my Victoria with his original post. The wood section is behind the seat in the "bustle". The hinges allow the rear seat back to tip forward for access to that area.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Fomoco998
                      Rear spring removal
                      by Fomoco998
                      Pulled the rear from the car and removed all the brakes. Got it on saw horses and have what is called a traveling spring spreader looking for any extra precautions in removing spring with a spreader of this type . Thanks
                      07-01-2018, 04:17 PM
                    • Eagan
                      Spring Spreader for rear curved spring
                      by Eagan
                      Mikes-Affordable sell a rear spring spreading tool for 28 -31 Ford Model A's (blue in color) and I wondered if anyone has any experience with this tool? I have a 33 Ford that also has curved rear springs and the standard spreader won't work because the "pumpkin" gets in the way...wondered if the Mike's model might work on the 33 Ford. Really appreciate any guidance.
                      Eagan
                      01-19-2019, 01:36 PM
                    • Mike
                      Spring covers
                      by Mike
                      For TOURING CLASS JUDGING are spring covers allowed to be used on the front and rear springs ?
                      Thank you,
                      michael...
                      07-20-2017, 09:30 PM
                    • Steve Plucker
                      Front and Rear Spring Restoration
                      by Steve Plucker
                      What is the best way to restore the leaf springs?

Electrolisis...Sand blast...wire wheel...all the above ...none of the above...

Followed by painting each leaf or not?...or use graphite grease...

Assemble....

What have you done in your restoration to have a good looking front and rear spring?

Thanks.

Pluck
                      01-19-2019, 01:20 AM
                    • Steve Plucker
                      Marco's FRONT Spring Chart
                      by Steve Plucker
                      Marco Tahtaras did an excelent REAR Spring Chart showing just where the different individual springs went in a assembled REAR spring.

That being the case ...did he ever do one for the FRONT Spring Assembly?

I say this because I have several disassembled front springs and I do not know just where some of the leaves would go because they are of different lengths and thicknesses....
                      01-20-2019, 05:08 PM
                    • Bill in NJ
                      Rear spring removal and install
                      by Bill in NJ
                      Approximately how many hours should it take one person to take out the old spring and install one I rebuilt with my spring spreader?? I also want to install new bushings in spring and rear. Mitch thanks in advance, this a great site with a lot of good information and people.
                      05-29-2018, 07:39 PM
                    • Rowdy
                      Rear Spring Clip Height
                      by Rowdy
                      I did a search as I beleive this was posted in the past, but did not find the post. What is the correct height of the clip for the 8 leaf spring? Seems I have 3 different heights in my parts stash. Thanks Rod
                      11-30-2018, 08:55 PM
                    • Corley
                      Rear Spring length
                      by Corley
                      Put a Camero rear axle in my pickup with a model A spring on top of it. I then removed some leaves to lower the rear, but now on a big bump, the spring has increased in length so much that the end of the spring hits the axle housing. Are their any shorter springs available that still fit over the differential housing, off the shelf? I know I could have the ends of mine cut and re-curled, but it...
                      06-13-2018, 10:08 PM
                    • JohnB15632
                      Model A listing
                      by JohnB15632
                      I could use some help. My A is listing to the right. I am thinking that during the assembly of the rear spring to the frame, I must have made a bad mistake.
                      Now, what should I do to correct this list? Do I need to raise the frame and drop the rear axle?
                      Should I invest in a new rear spring?

Thanks
                      10-09-2018, 09:07 AM
                    • 40B1930
                      Roadster Front Spring
                      by 40B1930
                      Installed a new spring about a year ago and I have noticed a "hard/stiff" front end ride with shocks adjusted 3/8 turn out. The new rear spring with shocks at 1/4 turn out works great.
                      I did notice that the shock arm ball is unseated on the left as I was taking these photos. From floor to center of bumper measures 19-3/8". Looking at the shackles angle position, am I missing something?...
                      This gallery has 3 photos.
                      08-30-2018, 11:23 PM
                    Working...
                    X