Bullet connectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bullet connectors?

I believe these are called bullet connectors. Are they soldered ot crimped to the end of the wire. If crimped would you know where I can find one?
    Attached Files
    http://www.turnbophotography.com

If you're talking about these, it's best to solder
    https://www.brattons.com/wire-bullet-ends-5.html
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mitch
      Mitch commented
      Editing a comment
      They sell these to connect two together. This gives it more of an original look than using the modern colored butt ends.
      https://www.brattons.com/wire-connectors-4.html

• Mickey
      Mickey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks mitch. I have both just wasn't sure if they could be crimped. I've been soldering them but it's a struggle.

If you can tin the wire before inserting it into the bullet, that will help.
    If not tinning the wire, at least a dip into the tin of flux will help make a nice soldered connection.
    I like the rosin core 60/40 solder the best, or the 50/50 solder.

Comment

• Mickey
      Mickey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Tom. My problem is not enough hands. One for hold the connector, one for holding the wire, one for holding the solder, and one for for holding the iron.

• pAAt
      pAAt commented
      Editing a comment
      Mickey, I bet Tom has a jig built for that already !

Mickey, as Tom suggests, dip the bared wire in flux, gently hold the wire vertically in a vise or vise grips (I usually wrap the wire in a cloth to stop the vice damaging the wire). Slide the bullet connector over the wire, then with your two free hands soldering iron in one, solder in the other.

Comment

Extra hands

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01902-A...855160&sr=1-12

3 ~ Tudor's
      Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Mickey
        Mickey commented
        Editing a comment
        OK ordered one.

Harbor Freight sells the helping hands with magnifying glass, and I bought one.
      Another handy tool is just glue a spring cloths pin to a wood board.

Comment

• Mickey
        Mickey commented
        Editing a comment
        Wood clothes pin?? I thought they went out with clothes lines and wringer washers. ;)

• Dennis
        Dennis commented
        Editing a comment
        I see them in all of the grocery stores where I live.

filedata/fetch?id=68179&d=1554109651&type=thumb After trying the bullet connectors that the vendors have, and my piss poor luck at soldering them, I ran across this crimp tool. Haven't had a connection fail since then.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.
      Last edited by CarlG; 03-12-2018, 02:47 PM.
      Alaskan A's
      Antique Auto Mushers of Alaska
      Model A Ford Club of America
      Model A Restorers Club
      Antique Automobile Club of America
      Mullins Owners Club

Comment

• Mickey
        Mickey commented
        Editing a comment
        All right now we're talking. So where do I find such a creature?

• Mark Maron
        Mark Maron commented
        Editing a comment
        There are the cheap connectors, they work yes but should also be soldered . The brass ones soldered are the way to go...

• CarlG
        CarlG commented
        Editing a comment
        I beg to differ with you Mark, these are not "the cheap connectors". If you haven't tried this particular tool, don't knock it. The high quality, Bullet Crimping Tool ratchets closed to put a secure hexagonal crimp in bullets. I haven't had one fail on me yet.

I am not saying that soldering the bullets that you get from the vendors is not the way to go, it's just that my soldering skills are just not there. I also find that using this crimp tool is much easier to use than a soldering iron or torch while working in confined spaces or under the car.

I bought my crimp tool, bullets and connectors as a kit (161-751) from Moss Motors: https://mossmotors.com/catalogsearch...=&q=crimp+tool I'm sure they are avaliable other places as well.

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey View Post
        Wood clothes pin?? I thought they went out with clothes lines and wringer washers. ;)
        I always use my clothes lines.
        Right now Model A generator parts are hanging on them, while the paint dries, but I always use them for my clothes also.
        In the long winter I use the clothes lines in the basement, but in the short summer, I use the outside lines.

Comment

• Mickey
          Mickey commented
          Editing a comment
          I use an old florescent light fixtures in the basement to paint and dry parts on. My wife (or me) haven't used a clothes line in 50 years. That's why God gave clothes dryers.

As luck would have it, in the January - February 2018 edition of the Model A News magazine, pages 18 through 22 there is an article with step by step instructions and great color photos on this very subject of repairing headlight sockets and bullet connectors.

Comment

• Mark Maron
          Mark Maron commented
          Editing a comment
          thanks for the Compliment on that

Originally posted by Easty View Post
        As luck would have it, in the January - February 2018 edition of the Model A News magazine, pages 18 through 22 there is an article with step by step instructions and great color photos on this very subject of repairing headlight sockets and bullet connectors.
        That article is by Mark Maron and it has been featured in the chassis tech forum since November. Mark was kind enough to give the VFF an exclusive early release on it. I urge everyone to look at the threads in the two tech forums. You would be surprised of what is already in there. Many of these topics are made up of multiple threads and combined.
        Here is the link..

https://www.vintagefordforum.com/for...y-mark-s-maron
        3 ~ Tudor's
        Henry Ford said

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

• Easty
          Easty commented
          Editing a comment
          Mitch, great resource, will be invaluable. I just need to remember to check all the features of your site when the A acts up next time! Thanks

• Mitch
          Mitch commented
          Editing a comment
          It may be growing to where a 3rd division is needed to split them up even more. Maybe Chassis, Powertrain, Electrical.

Solder them. There is a proper crimper for these but it is expensive (70 and up) as it crimps at three or more points to keep the connector round as the "regular" ones turn the connectors wire end oval. (Buchanan 8"L Insulated Crimper - C24)
        Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 03-14-2018, 08:44 AM. Reason: added a crimper

Comment