Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurfacing drums info

I have an ammco 4000 brake lathe,
    resurfacing / truing the front drums is no problem as the 1" arbor and standard race adapters work beautiful. The issue is the rear drums as the 1" arbor will not slide through the end of the hub because it has a 3/4" opening. After doing a little research i found that ammco sells an 11/16th" arbor which comes with all needed accy's. This setup will adapt to any ammco Models 2002, 3000, 4000, 4100, 7000, 7700 brake lathes. So for anyone looking to be able to do the rear drums a brake doktor is not needed. these ammco machines are easily available used and for good prices. Just thought i would post this info as i hope it can help.
    The part # for the kit is 9708 and i found the cheapest place to buy it from with free shipping, and dropped shipped from ammco, so it only took a few days to get

IMG_6201.JPGIMG_6202.JPGIMG_6203.JPG
    3 ~ Tudor's
    Henry Ford said
    "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

WAAAH, I only had a piddly AMCO 2000, but it had the adaptor you show. I made lots of $$$$$s with it, doing drop off DRUMS/ROTORS.
    Dad Poor

Comment

Mitch good to know you have the machine that can cut rear drums. Some of the new cast iron drums need to have 1 more finish cut.
      mike
      Michael
      1928 speedster
      1929 closed cab p/u
      1930 standard roadster
      1931 deluxe tudor sedan
      1967 ss/rs conv.camaro

Comment

When I did the brakes on my 62 Chevy I was able to turn the drums on my 12" Atlas lathe. I remember using an Ammco at the GM dealership I worked at in the 70's, and it was a nice machine. A few times I'd hit hard spots in the drums. I'm not sure what caused them, but they sure needed a sharp new carbide to clean them up.

Comment

I've noticed hard spots in just about any metal I have ever worked with. I just had to machine a billet (2x2x12) of 1045 Tool steel to make a brake arm for my '47 Stude M5 project and was a little surprised that it too had hard spots. I guess no alloy is totally uniform

Comment

Hard spots or glazed spots in the drum. These are caused by excessive heat that brings about metallurgical changes in the metal. Hard spots can be identified by raised or discolored patches on the drum friction surface. Hard spots can cause chatter, pedal pulsation and grabbing when the brakes are applied.
            3 ~ Tudor's
            Henry Ford said
            "It's all nuts and bolts"

Mitch's Auto Service ctr

Comment

SOME lathes have a GRINDING attachment, that does well on HARD spots.
              OH, spade the GRINDINGS/CUTTINGS around your ROSES & you can SHOW your blossoms (REALLY!)
              Dad Hortiguru
              Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 07-07-2017, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Hoogah
                Trying to get my new front brake linings adjusted
                by Hoogah
                I have swapped out my old steel drums for new cast iron drums. The shoes have been re-lined. I’ve gone through the moving parts and re-ground the brake adjusting shafts to match the lengths of the pairs. Now putting things back together. I’ve fully backed out the adjusting wedge, but find that the new drums are binding on the new linings.
                Pulling the shoes off again and placing them inside...
                09-09-2018, 06:20 AM
              • Foxfire
                Question on cast iron brake drums
                by Foxfire
                When were reproduction cast iron drums introduced? The key word being reproduction. I have some cast iron drums on my A but they are not as well machined as those currently available from vendors. Decades ago it was the late 31's from Ford that were highly sought after. I'm assuming because nothing else was available. I'm trying to date the drums I have. Here's pictures of a current drum and...
                04-02-2018, 03:50 PM
              • AL in NY
                Have you "miked" you brake drums lately?
                by AL in NY
                I have been helping a club member with a brake problem on his 30 Coupe. When we got around to miking the brake drums, we were shocked on how thin they were. All the drum were steel(not cast iron). The front miked out around .105" and the rears were both about .060". The low end of the spec is .120". I don't know how he was able to get his coupe to stop at all. VERY UNSAFE. We are now...
                11-02-2018, 06:24 PM
              • dmdeaton
                Painting Drums
                by dmdeaton
                What do you guys paint new cast iron drums with?
                12-01-2017, 06:56 PM
              • TOBKOB
                Brake linings and equalizers
                by TOBKOB
                I have a couple of questions for the more knowledgeable members. What kind of equalizers do I have and what type of brake liner is best with the late 31 cast iron drums. I have used the Scandinavian lining on steel drums and I have them to use with new cast iron drums on a project but they aren't on the chassis yet. Bratton's has the woven lining, Mikes has the molded type and Snyders has both and...
                03-07-2018, 07:55 PM
              • Bobm90
                Different Brake drum
                by Bobm90
                I have visited this topic before about having 2 different brake drums on the front of my car. Someone said this brake drum came off a late model 1931 Model A, I have searched every resource I have to substantiate this but alas I can find no pictures or reference to it. I am having a EXTREME brake chatter, mostly noticeable the first few times I step on the brakes after the car has been sitting,...
                09-15-2018, 06:26 AM
              • Rowdy
                Measuring Brake Drums
                by Rowdy
                I ran onto this a while back and bought one for measuring brake drums. Was tired of using a ball bearing and my micrometer (the Ron Cloat method). Although it is not a high end tool it does the job and is accurate. Rod

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Anytime-Tools-...%257Ciid%253A1
                08-10-2017, 08:38 PM
              • Denis4x4
                Dumb question on 16" wires
                by Denis4x4
                Correct me if I'm wrong, but the spacers recommended for putting 16" wires on Model A drums are not necessary when using 39-48 drums. Switching to steel wheels and can't see why I need them. Thoughts??
                02-22-2018, 04:48 PM
              • paul griesse
                seperating drums from hubs
                by paul griesse
                hows the easiest way to do this? Thanks
                10-31-2017, 10:34 AM
              • DaWizard
                Brain Twister
                by DaWizard

Well CRAP, didn't post all my eloquent words!!

Ok, try this again!

Ok boys and girls, I finished removing the starter and stuck my flexible magnet down the hole to see what would jump out at me, and this is what I found.

In all my years of experience, a search of my internal hard drive has come up empty, so I am putting the question out to the
                07-29-2017, 11:33 AM
              Working...
              X