Expensive Chain Not to be Used for Lifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expensive Chain Not to be Used for Lifting

Here is something I haven't seen before.
    If the working load limit is 1300 pounds, then why isn't it OK to use this chain for lifting, as long as you don't exceed the load limit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAMPBELL-014...1%26rkt%3D1%26

I don't see that stated but it would be lawyers talking.

Comment

Stated at the bottom
      I've seen it
      the load limit is not the only consideration
      http://blog.uscargocontrol.com/diffe...ade-100-chain/

Comment

As far as I can tell, grade 30, or proof coil chain is lighter duty and evidently, therefore not designated for a potentially dangerous overhead application.
        i would agree if you're lifting 500#s of motor why not. It probably has to do with liability issues as well. How ever, if the manufacturer doesn't trust it, I wouldn't stand under it!!!

Comment

Another reason it is "For Lifting No" could be because the finished weld on each link is not uniformly cut to fit the notches in the pulley wheels and could easily bind up.
          You wana look waaay far up da road and plan yer route because the brakes are far more of a suggestion than a command!

Comment

A classmate of mine owns a plumbing and heating business, and he had a small tree growing in the crack where the parking lot meats the foundation. I told him, "no problem, just take your log chain and wrap it around the base of the tree, then hook it to the frame of your big cube truck and pull it out. That tree was no bigger than 1 1/2", but when he tried to pull it out, it straightened all the links in his log chain, so the chain is no longer as flexible and easy to lay in a pile.

I went to Tbird's link, but was confused by the mixed message that some of the grades can be used for overhead lifting, then at the end they say not for overhead lifting.

"Grade 80 chain is a heat-treated steel chain with a high strength to weight ratio. Its strength makes it safe for overhead lifting and lifting slings. It’s also excellent for uses such as recovery, safety, and towing chains. Grade 80 chain is also becoming more common in the flatbed trucking industry to secure heavy duty industrial loads. Because these types of chains are generally equipped with a specific type of clevis grab hook, Grade 80 tie down chain is not approved for overhead lifting.

Grade 80 alloy chain is embossed with 8, 80, or 800."

Comment

• Mitch
              Mitch commented
              Editing a comment
              It said that the grade 80 "tie down" chain is not for overhead lifting.

I have some lifting chain with the appropriate hooks for lifting on each end. I took it to a vendor years ago to have it certified because of a requirement where I worked. The vendor wouldn't certify it with their tags because they didn't sell the chain and hooks to me assembled. Those guys are real fussy about things like that. So the chain and hooks lay under my work bench taking up valuable storage space...

Comment

For supporting the different stages on a forklift mast we use load rated chains that are tagged with the weight they will support safely. Very expensive, but mandated by OSHA. Rod
              Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.

Comment

Does anyone know what the difference is between an overheat lifting hook, and a load binding hook?

I went to a swap meet by Duluth about 25 years ago, and with Duluth being the world's most inland shipping port, there were some nice loading chains and slings for sale cheap. I bought a 2 chain sling and a 3 chain sling. Now, if I could just find them.

Comment

Tom, My guess is if those are the 2 or 3 leg variety from a ring then they were probably for lifting. Tie down hooks look similar to what is on the binder itself. Lifting hooks have a lot more beef on them. All of the lifting hooks have a solid pin that is not drilled for either a cotter or roll pin. It will always be free to float in the bore of the hook and always have a roll pin retaining it on one end with the other end of the bore being solid with a small hole. Both of these hooks in the picture are classified lifting, one is a slip hook the other is a grab hook. Personally I don't care for these brand, Crosby is my preference. Where I bought chains and rigging from when I was working, they had a choice of USA or overseas. I always bought USA and most of the time they were Crosby.

Here's a link to their site with the specs of their hooks.

http://www.thecrosbygroup.com/catalo...le-grab-hooks/

Notice these are for Grade 100 or Grade 80 chain. We used to call it system 6 or system 7.. ?? Lifting chain usually has an indicator on a link several links from the end or on the very end of a chain. We bought the chain a specific length when it was to be tagged with a certification. That indicator was on both ends of the chain, at least what I bought anyway. The last picture shows the link that is stamped in this case the very last link. Weights and certifications tags etc are mandatory on a construction site. Inspectors are very thorough about this as their butt is on the line and ultimately they are responsible for everybodies actions on the job. It was pretty tough getting the workers, foremen, superintendent to understand all this.

Sorry for the long post.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dennis; 07-06-2017, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks Dennis, and that's right, I do recall having metal tags on both the 2 and 3 chain lifting slings.

Comment

On the subject of lifting, I came across this block and tackle on ebay yesterday.
                      I could see it lifting a Model A engine, but not the claimed 2 tons.
                      With it's listed 7:1 ratio, 2 tons would take Superman and the fat lady of the circus just to pull down on the rope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Ton-Poly-R...3D270827174455

Comment

Ha! I have an old wooden Block and tackle with a hemp rope 100 ft long that would be closer to Model A period correct. Originally came from somewhere in New Hampshire.You can have it for free if you want to pay the shipping. :D
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Dennis; 07-09-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis View Post
                          Ha! I have an old wooden Block and tackle with a hemp rope that would be closer to Model A period correct. You can have it for free if you want to pay the shipping. :D
                          Someone should take you up on that offer.
                          I would but I bought one a few years ago at a swap meet.
                          Even if you don't use it, they make a neat wall hanger, or use it to hang a potted plant.

Comment

• Dennis
                            Dennis commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Years ago my parents built a barn house. They used it to hold a big cog wheel with swag lamps in the living room that had a tall ceiling. They took it down when they moved and my mom gave it to me when my dad passed away. I used to have it hanging along a beam in my garage until I completely cleared the garage and painted everything gloss white. Got rid of the clutter, or tried to...